Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,023

1 members and 3,022 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: The horror of the monitor industry

Quote Originally Posted by tegu View Post
    Wow. That's not the kind of stuff I like to see.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    no kidding, makes me really sad. ;(
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Mainland Reticulated
    1.0 High lines Red Tail Boa

Thanks
    Baby Savannah Monitors can be had here all day long for 20 bucks, and at the same time you will be told it can live in a 3ft enclosure. It really is depressing.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jclaiborne For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (12-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    People do it with all pets that have any sort of serious requirements, from parrots, to large lizards or snakes, to tortoises, to horses, pigs and even dogs.

Large monitor lizards are probably fairly rare overall, in the number of types of pets people get. The largest number of pets are always going to be more traditional, dogs, cats, hamsters, etc. In reptiles, the smaller lizards are most common, with small snakes, then large snakes before anyone gets to the larger lizards.

People get horses without realizing they need regular exercise, space, massive amount of food, vet care, hoof care, training... and they neglect and ruin them when they aren't new anymore. People get large dogs and forget it will need exercise and space and training and grooming and tons of food and vet care... and they take them to a shelter when it's obvious they're not all fun and games.

A lot of people get monitors without realizing how much space, food and time they are going to take. Some people research and then promptly think that they can still do things differently, i.e. just let them roam the house instead of a properly heated large cage. Or they fail to research what a full grown lizard requires, versus the baby they purchase. Many of those lizards die.

A few people do research and plan and do things right. There's quite a few folks who do right by their monitor lizards. But you're not going to hear about 90% of those successful owners. You WILL hear about any owner who dumps their lizard, who lets it starve or die, puts it on craigslist, etc. Don't let the louder voice convince you that the quiet keepers don't exist though.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MD_Pythons View Post
    I feel like iguanas catch it worse, as they are cheaper and more commonly available. At least from what I've seen. This is one of the reasons I have mixed feelings about Reptile Shows, anyone can just show up and buy something on impulse that they don't know how to take care of. artgecko really described it better than I can.
    Mad sad as I am to admit this, this exact iguana situation happened in my family years ago. They had them cheap at the pet store fed us a line about ease of care and an aquarium for a cage for life. Well little turned to a big mean iguana and interest was lost and unfortunately the iguana paid the price for just being an iguana. This was year and years ago but it’s still a shame things like this continue in 2017.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    People do it with all pets that have any sort of serious requirements, from parrots, to large lizards or snakes, to tortoises, to horses, pigs and even dogs.

Large monitor lizards are probably fairly rare overall, in the number of types of pets people get. The largest number of pets are always going to be more traditional, dogs, cats, hamsters, etc. In reptiles, the smaller lizards are most common, with small snakes, then large snakes before anyone gets to the larger lizards.

People get horses without realizing they need regular exercise, space, massive amount of food, vet care, hoof care, training... and they neglect and ruin them when they aren't new anymore. People get large dogs and forget it will need exercise and space and training and grooming and tons of food and vet care... and they take them to a shelter when it's obvious they're not all fun and games.

A lot of people get monitors without realizing how much space, food and time they are going to take. Some people research and then promptly think that they can still do things differently, i.e. just let them roam the house instead of a properly heated large cage. Or they fail to research what a full grown lizard requires, versus the baby they purchase. Many of those lizards die.

A few people do research and plan and do things right. There's quite a few folks who do right by their monitor lizards. But you're not going to hear about 90% of those successful owners. You WILL hear about any owner who dumps their lizard, who lets it starve or die, puts it on craigslist, etc. Don't let the louder voice convince you that the quiet keepers don't exist though.
    I'm not trying to block out those with the knowledge who provide the correct care. These are the people who I get my information from. I don't generally get an animal before being able to talk with an experienced keeper. Wish I could talk more with breeders, but their advice can be skewed because they want a sale.

I'd be lying if I said it wasn't infuriating to constantly see these half dead animals all over the place. There's atleast one channel on youtube that does this with a huge following, and these people can be very impressionable on their veiwers. I also see them on craigslist, petshops, and social media.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12