Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,103

0 members and 3,103 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 602 Posts
    Unfortunately this isn't a PetCo-restricted norm. Here's some pics a few weeks ago from the local PetSmart -- and I wanted to take that poor guy in the first photo home, but I knew they'd only replace it with another. That and I have no room to quarantine, so I couldn't protect Maze from any potential piggy backers the little guy might have been carrying.

He didn't move once, and I couldn't even tell if he was breathing.

And this one just reflects how little they know about how to keep snakes. Yikes. (There were at least five in there)
    0.1 Red Axanthic P. regius | Mazikeen
    E. climacophora | Lan Fan
    C. paulsoni | Inej

Thanks

Went to Petco for some animal supplies and just happen to check in the snakes....

Just to give you all a heads up I️ did actually go to my local
    News website and they have an option for submitting pictures for potential news stories, this is what I️ said “I was at a local Pet Co and it’s only been open a few months but THIS is what I️ found! They have numerous amounts of Ball Pythons that are malnourished, horribly stuck sheds, over crowding 6-7 ball pythons in one enclosure. (Mind you they have multiple empty display cases that have been empty for weeks) this truly animal neglect on their part. Not only that but there are baby bearded dragons that are living in their own filth...their enclosures haven’t need maintained properly. I️ would love to see some light shed on this, these big name animal supply chains do not have the proper training in handling reptiles. It is apparent in just this photo alone! This snake probably won’t make it the week with how emaciated it is.” Spectrum News 13 for Orlando...and I️ posted that second photo...I️ hope I️ get their attention!

Oops I️ have horrible typing skills didn’t see I️ said “haven’t need” hahahah
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Aerries; 12-12-2017 at 06:30 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerries For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (12-13-2017),zina10 (12-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Petco has also gotten back to me after they got the info. Saying they will look into this and get back to me, again.

Here's to hoping.

It would be nice if they were open to suggestions. Perhaps just for them to put their heads together and come up something they could use across the board (all stores). Implement a certain training sessions all Managers and employees need to complete. Where they learn the basics (important basics) of the reptile species they keep, and proper caresheets and setups.

Perhaps they should find and offer resources to all stores. Where store managers and employees can use those resources if they need help, have questions, need suggestions. (a link to this forum would work )

Anything, really. If they would be at least willing to think about some things to make things better. They could strive to be the first chain petstore that actually knows and cares about their reptiles.

Well, one can only hope
    Last edited by zina10; 12-12-2017 at 07:57 PM.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupČry

Thanks

Re: Went to Petco for some animal supplies and just happen to check in the snakes....

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    Petco has also gotten back to me after they got the info. Saying they will look into this and get back to me, again.

Here's to hoping.

It would be nice if they were open to suggestions. Perhaps just for them to put their heads together and come up something they could use across the board (all stores). Implement a certain training sessions all Managers and employees need to complete. Where they learn the basics (important basics) of the reptile species they keep, and proper caresheets and setups.

Perhaps they should find and offer resources to all stores. Where store managers and employees can use those resources if they need help, have questions, need suggestions. (a link to this forum would work )

Anything, really. If they would be at least willing to think about some things to make things better. They could strive to be the first chain petstore that actually knows and cares about their reptiles.

Well, one can only hope
    Naturally I more then likely wont hear anything from them till tomorrow if at all...but yes I hope something does come of this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Aerries For This Useful Post:

zina10 (12-12-2017)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Yet people keep wanting to "rescue" or in reality PURCHASE animals from these chain stores.......
    It does nothing but remove an animal from their location to make room for another AND show a demand for these animals from them.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (12-13-2017),Starscream (12-12-2017),zina10 (12-12-2017)

Thanks

Re: Went to Petco for some animal supplies and just happen to check in the snakes....

Not wanting to be too cynical, mind you, but, perhaps, just perhaps, there's truly "a method to the madness." :-(

Thanks
    I'm so thankful that my Petco doesn't have the animals in these conditions.

I don't support Petco in terms of buying animals (I am guilty of buying toys for my gerbil there however) but every time I check on the animals they all look fairly healthy. I mean of course there's usually too many in the tanks, but aside from that, husbandry (temp/humidity) is exactly as it should be. I'm also quite surprised that when I ask about the animals (for the most part) the worker has fairly accurate info, it's strange seeing pictures of other Petco's who don't do things even remotely right, but then there's others that do. It's really a shame that Petco doesn't monitor all it's stores and that it's left up to the workers to care for the animals well being at whatever they deem fit.

The Petco I've got only re-homes cats with a small fee. They have a cat room that only cats who have been brought in (not from mills, but from caring owners/shelters) are allowed to be given away in. Sometimes the cats will be specified that they need to go as pairs (due to previous home) and always have a description such as that they are a mellow cat that needs a quite retirement home or the opposite of course. I go in there quite a lot (at least once a week) and I've never even seen a kitten once. I quite like this way of "selling animals" re-homing an animal is way better then selling an animal from a mill.

One of my favorite things in the store is that they have all the birds with various descriptions about their personalities, like what their favorite toys are and the ways they prefer to "play". As well as whether or not their super loud birds or tend to be more on the quite side.

The store seems fairly well rounded (though not the company itself) I mean all the workers really seem to care for the animals.

Can anyone tell my extreme confusion at some of these places? My Petco sounds like a dang heaven compared to some of these ones

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyCupcakes View Post
    I'm so thankful that my Petco doesn't have the animals in these conditions.

I don't support Petco in terms of buying animals (I am guilty of buying toys for my gerbil there however) but every time I check on the animals they all look fairly healthy. I mean of course there's usually too many in the tanks, but aside from that, husbandry (temp/humidity) is exactly as it should be. I'm also quite surprised that when I ask about the animals (for the most part) the worker has fairly accurate info, it's strange seeing pictures of other Petco's who don't do things even remotely right, but then there's others that do. It's really a shame that Petco doesn't monitor all it's stores and that it's left up to the workers to care for the animals well being at whatever they deem fit.

The Petco I've got only re-homes cats with a small fee. They have a cat room that only cats who have been brought in (not from mills, but from caring owners/shelters) are allowed to be given away in. Sometimes the cats will be specified that they need to go as pairs (due to previous home) and always have a description such as that they are a mellow cat that needs a quite retirement home or the opposite of course. I go in there quite a lot (at least once a week) and I've never even seen a kitten once. I quite like this way of "selling animals" re-homing an animal is way better then selling an animal from a mill.

One of my favorite things in the store is that they have all the birds with various descriptions about their personalities, like what their favorite toys are and the ways they prefer to "play". As well as whether or not their super loud birds or tend to be more on the quite side.

The store seems fairly well rounded (though not the company itself) I mean all the workers really seem to care for the animals.

Can anyone tell my extreme confusion at some of these places? My Petco sounds like a dang heaven compared to some of these ones
    A good manager can make ALL the difference! I used to manage a store (although it was a Victoria's Secret..no pets..LOL) and it's all about if you take pride in your store and associates. One has to "give a bowel movement" so to speak.

Apparently the store manager of the Kissimmee location does not. And Corporate should know about it.

Zina

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    A good manager can make ALL the difference! I used to manage a store (although it was a Victoria's Secret..no pets..LOL) and it's all about if you take pride in your store and associates. One has to "give a bowel movement" so to speak.

Apparently the store manager of the Kissimmee location does not. And Corporate should know about it.

Manager of a Victoria's Secrets !!

Now that deserves its own thread surely , spill the beans

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

zina10 (12-13-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Manager of a Victoria's Secrets !!

Now that deserves its own thread surely , spill the beans

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    The storys I could tell, the people I have met...

LOL

But that is for another time and another thread.

My point was just, a GOOD manager can make all the difference. If the manager doesn't care (and obv. the Petco one doesn't) the the employees won't give a hoot either. That is probably why there are some better locations then others. Surely some of them have to have managers that take pride in their store and how the animals are taken care of and presented. They probably try to do their best with what they are given (and what they know).
    Zina

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast