Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,330

2 members and 1,328 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: do albinos not like heat lamps?

Quote Originally Posted by foster View Post
    then i actually think the temp might be too high for him to be comfortable. i don't think it's unbearable for him, though, because i DO see him go in the warm side from time to time, it's just that it's not often. it's clear that he prefers the hide on the cool side.

he is in a 30" x 12" x 12" glass terrarium with a sliding screen top. the lamp is positioned over the right side of the enclosure, where the warm side is, while the cool side is on the left. the UTH is on the left side. i bought one of those zoomed 20 gallon snake starter kits (rest assured i have more furniture in his terrarium than the half-log it came with) that included an analog thermometer so that one is on the hot side... i had bought a digital thermometer + digital hygrometer but while i was at petsmart there was only one digital thermometer in stock, so i figured the analog would have had to do for now. i am ordering another digital thermometer right at this moment.

i do not have a thermostat. i was looking at this one, though. it's really expensive for me (which is why i was waiting to buy it), because i'm just a teenager, but i'll pay whatever price i need to for monty.

thank you both for your help. i was wondering if it was because of his albinism that he was avoiding the hot side but now i definitely think it's because it's too warm for him.
    get a jumpstart thermostat for now and then you can save for a better one. They're really affordable but don't have all the bells and whistles of a herpstat.

Sent from my LG-M151 using Tapatalk

Thanks

do albinos not like heat lamps?

If I saw correctly, you have the UTH on the left while the heat lamp is positioned on the right. Make sure you have the heat lamp on the same side as the UTH so the hot to cold gradient flows naturally from right to left. The lamp will heat up the entire enclosure but if you have the heating elements on opposite sides, you will have trouble establishing a true hot/cold side.

Edit: Also from what I’ve read, snakes don’t exactly need a day/night cycle. So if you already have a ceramic heat bulb, just use that 24/7. Then you won’t have to worry about any concerns involving light and the albinism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Codil7; 12-12-2017 at 03:55 PM.
    1.0 Catahoula (Easton)
    1.0 Chocolate Lab/Weimeraner (Gunner)
    0.1 Black Pewter het Albino (Arya)
    0.1 BCI (Kaiya)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Codil7 For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (12-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by foster View Post
    oh my goodness thank you all so so much... i am so glad i started this thread so that these issues could come to my attention. i had no idea that the hot spot would be too warm for him. i am ordering the dimmer and looking at thermostats right now. in the meantime i've turned the lamp off.

if anyone has any other advice i would appreciate it so much.
    I'm sure you will soon have it all sorted out , you have a great attitude which is so refreshing .

I've been keeping snakes ( a lot of snakes as well) for ages and learn something new every flamin day .

I just keep reading through the forum threads , surfing the web and check out all the YouTube videos .. Snakes are one of my obsessions though ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

As others have said, you should have the UTH on the sane side as the heat lamp, or you're not really creating a temperature gradient.

Also you NEED to have a thermostat for all heating devices. Unfortunately that means one for the UTH as well as the heat lamp. You can't have different devices connected to one thermostat.

Also when you can I would suggest moving him to either a PVC or Rubbermaid style container and use a RHP and a UTH or even just a RHP, that's the set up that I have with one of mine. Those ceramic heat bulbs drain you're humidity like crazy, and glass doesn't help to keep any in either. With that set up it will be a constant struggle to keep proper humidity up. While BPs don't require crazy humidity, when I was rocking ceramic and a glass tank it would always drop to around 20-30 percent, too low for normal humidity and way to low for when in shed. I switched to the PVC with just a RHP and it's been working wonders.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12