Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,519

0 members and 3,519 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Heat tape burn marks.

So I've been using this cserpants v18 rack for just over a year. Today I went to put a new probe on it for my herpstat instead of the ve-100. And noticed that on the fire retardant side of the tape showing on the 2 levels have burn marks.... I bout it brand new and have the thermostat set to 90.... any ideas why? Should I replace the heat tape or contact Chris and find out what's up???

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Ball Python: 1.1 Mojave, 0.1 Normal, 1.0 Pastel, 1.0 Spider/Pastel/Butter/YB, 1.0 spider, 1.0 Pastel Clown, 0.1 Butter/YB/Pastel, 0.1 Butter, 0.1 Butter Enchi, 0.1 Cinnamon Albino, 0.1 Butter/Spider/OG, 0.1 Enchi Ghost, 0.1 Lesser, 0.1 Firefly/YB, 0.1 Black Magic
    Boa: 0.1 Suriname Red Tail

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Thats weird. I would definitely replace it and also call the guy and see if Flexwatt has a customer support line and call them. I cant give much help as i have never used the new flame retardant stuff. i just use the original flexwatt and have never seen any weird scorch marks like that. Are the marks also on the bottom of the tubs?

I cant imagine it would be getting too hot as i assume you have the probes sitting directly on the flexwatt so no matter what you put on top of them, they will only get as hot as you set it because the probes are sitting directly on the flexwatt.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

Re: Heat tape burn marks.

no marks on the tubs... yeah I'm contacting chris and see what he says.. it shouldn't have these marks this early, ever... I have the probe taped in the corner right on the heat tape. first time ive seen this before....

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Thats weird. I would definitely replace it and also call the guy and see if Flexwatt has a customer support line and call them. I cant give much help as i have never used the new flame retardant stuff. i just use the original flexwatt and have never seen any weird scorch marks like that. Are the marks also on the bottom of the tubs?

I cant imagine it would be getting too hot as i assume you have the probes sitting directly on the flexwatt so no matter what you put on top of them, they will only get as hot as you set it because the probes are sitting directly on the flexwatt.
    Ball Python: 1.1 Mojave, 0.1 Normal, 1.0 Pastel, 1.0 Spider/Pastel/Butter/YB, 1.0 spider, 1.0 Pastel Clown, 0.1 Butter/YB/Pastel, 0.1 Butter, 0.1 Butter Enchi, 0.1 Cinnamon Albino, 0.1 Butter/Spider/OG, 0.1 Enchi Ghost, 0.1 Lesser, 0.1 Firefly/YB, 0.1 Black Magic

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Yeah there is no way heat tape regulated like that should be scorching like that. Only thing I could even think of is too long of a strip for one thermostat to adequately regulate but then again people do this all the time without it doing this. If this is a 4 shelf rack that would be even worse. Something is definitely up here.

Wait did you have this controlled by a ve 100 or a herpstat? Ve 100 is on off control and not proportional so just like having a herpstat it can run far hotter than the set temp. That would be my only other thought. You could have it set to 90 on say the bottom rack and the top gets to 100 due to using an on/off controller like the ve-100. Again that is wild speculation because I am sure others do this as well. If a portion of that tape got over 110 degrees, given enough time and having a tub over it could insulate it to over that and it could scorch. That is just theoretical minimum to cause a thermal burn but again this shouldn't be happening.

Not knocking RBIs thermostats but anything less than the VE 200 is not proportional heating.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks

Re: Heat tape burn marks.

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    Yeah there is no way heat tape regulated like that should be scorching like that. Only thing I could even think of is too long of a strip for one thermostat to adequately regulate but then again people do this all the time without it doing this. If this is a 4 shelf rack that would be even worse. Something is definitely up here.

Wait did you have this controlled by a ve 100 or a herpstat? Ve 100 is on off control and not proportional so just like having a herpstat it can run far hotter than the set temp. That would be my only other thought. You could have it set to 90 on say the bottom rack and the top gets to 100 due to using an on/off controller like the ve-100. Again that is wild speculation because I am sure others do this as well. If a portion of that tape got over 110 degrees, given enough time and having a tub over it could insulate it to over that and it could scorch. That is just theoretical minimum to cause a thermal burn but again this shouldn't be happening.

Not knocking RBIs thermostats but anything less than the VE 200 is not proportional heating.
    I was using a ve100 and it's only a 4 shelf rack and the probe is on the second shelf. I've never herd of a ve 100 causing this issue but then again things do happen.... I talked to Chris at cserpants and he is contacting the manufacture and go from there..

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk