Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,550

7 members and 3,543 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Breeding project efficiency for a 'noob'

Hey,

Wasn't sure where to post this, hope its the correct sub section.

Relatively morph-ignorant Brit here. Owned a normal ball python for a few years almost blissfully unaware of the morph side of the hobby. Recently become interested, researched, built a rack, organised my plan and infrastructure. I'm not looking to get rich, just enjoy making the amazing morphs i set as my goal and patiently enjoy the journey. It would be nice to get close to breaking even 10 years down the line, obviously.

My query is, using 6 adult snakes (im going to limit myself to 6 and obviously hold back what i need to) what would be the most efficient and smart way to go about creating:
    Killer Queen bee leopard (lesser super pastel spider leopard)
    Lavender leopard black head

Love the leopard gene.

I'm fully are that those have lots of genes... im not bothered if it takes me 15 years. Looking to start with visuals or visual hets or even normal hets.

Cheers

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Best advice is get 4 or 5 females consisting of the genes you want to work with.
    In a year or two find the male that has as many genes in him as you can afford.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Alicia (12-12-2017),Godzilla78 (12-11-2017),NPE76 (12-11-2017),UKElliotSnake (12-12-2017),zina10 (12-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    Just curious, why those genes? If you are targeting a certain mix then I'd start with something like this, here's a Leopard Lesser Super Pastel for $400:

https://www.morphmarket.com/us/c/rep...pythons/105647

All you would need is a spider female and BAM you have your combo!

Not sure why everyone says they don't want to make money, like it's a bad thing.... It's OK to make a profit, just like raising any animals it's a lot of work and a lot of expense. After all the time and effort it's a downer to look at your finances to see them tank along the way.

Some people think of breeding to get the most genes in a single snake. There are other options, do you want to go for the best return on investment? Or maybe go for the brightest colors? Or target morphs that are the highest in demand so you can easily sell all the babies? It would help to define your goals first before you decide on what direction to go in, not sure what you are thinking from this post...

It's not necessarily the number of genes that sets the price (and demand) of a snake, it's one or two in demand genes along with other common morphs. For example, if you added het clown to that lesser leopard super pastel it would probably triple the price and would sell much more quickly. I assume you plan to sell the animals you are making or do you plan to hold them back to breed for a more advanced project?
    Last edited by cchardwick; 12-12-2017 at 12:40 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (12-12-2017),UKElliotSnake (12-12-2017)

Thanks

Re: Breeding project efficiency for a 'noob'

Quote Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post
    Just curious, why those genes? If you are targeting a certain mix then I'd start with something like this, here's a Leopard Lesser Super Pastel for $400:

Not sure why everyone says they don't want to make money, like it's a bad thing.... It's OK to make a profit, just like raising any animals it's a lot of work and a lot of expense. After all the time and effort it's a downer to look at your finances to see them tank along the way.

Some people think of breeding to get the most genes in a single snake. There are other options, do you want to go for the best return on investment? Or maybe go for the brightest colors? Or target morphs that are the highest in demand so you can easily sell all the babies? It would help to define your goals first before you decide on what direction to go in, not sure what you are thinking from this post...

It's not necessarily the number of genes that sets the price (and demand) of a snake, it's one or two in demand genes along with other common morphs. For example, if you added het clown to that lesser leopard super pastel it would probably triple the price and would sell much more quickly. I assume you plan to sell the animals you are making or do you plan to hold them back to breed for a more advanced project?
    I think people are afraid to say they want to make money because they don't want a back lash of people telling them that they are into herpatoligy for the wrong reason. I think that's silly, if it wasn't for the "for profit" breeders we wouldn't have such amazing morphs.

Sent from my LG-M151 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Breeding project efficiency for a 'noob'

Quote Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post

I'll be honest since deciding to venture into this game, the infrastructure/ racks etc have all been easy to build or aquire... the choosing of my direction snake wise is really bloody hard, especially with limited knowledge with regards to genetics and their relationship with the market. I'm really goal orientated too so I want to make sure I choose correctly for me. Its an issue when you think theyre all badass!

I have thinking to do. Obviously being able to sell them easier would be beneficial, as would getting a nice price. Bundling as many genes into one snake as possible doesnt appeal as much as concentrating and building quality of a certain line. I'll defninitely want to sell the snakes, but will keep the snakes that i think will improve the quality of my project going forward. I'd prefer to work more into snakes that hold their looks into adulthood somewhat...

Cheers for 'straightening my collar'.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pezz View Post
    I think people are afraid to say they want to make money because they don't want a back lash of people telling them that they are into herpatoligy for the wrong reason. I think that's silly, if it wasn't for the "for profit" breeders we wouldn't have such amazing morphs.

Sent from my LG-M151 using Tapatalk
    What I mean is I'm not in this for money making reasons, its mainly for the hobby and enjoyment. If I wanted to spend my spare time concentrating on making profit I'd sell my professional knowledge. This delving into the morph world isn't a scheme to make money. However I do hear you, profit is an extra drive that helps anything develop. I also think the economical trading side of the hobby is part of its appeal, I love to trade.

Thanks for the replies guys. Being a newb, all experience is ace.