Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,977

1 members and 1,976 guests
Gio,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran BallPythonWannaBe's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Boa or Blood Python??

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    Blood Pythons, Borneo Short Tail Pythons and Sumatran Short Tail Pythons ("Black Bloods") are 3 different species. Generally, Bloods are the largest of the 3 species, Borneos are the second largest and Sumatrans are the smallest... If you are thinking about breeding them in the future make sure you get 2 of the same species and keep their bloodlines pure. As interesting as cross breeding these species might seem like it would be you would only get brown snakes, anyway. Matrix are of the Blood Python species and breeding Matrix x Matrix will produce Ivory. 25% of the clutch would be Ivory if you hit the odds.

I would recommend building your own 28 qt. melamine rack. They are very simple and cheap to build. The prices companies are charging for simple little rack systems are absurd! I also highly recommend building the type with the sides and back enclosed. They maintain heat and humidity much more than the open type. Here is the 10 - 28 qt. rack I built:

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ake-Rack-Build

And, my 10 - 41 qt. rack:

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ake-Rack-Build

Everyone will tell you the smaller the tub the better for hatchlings, but I started all of mine off in 28 qt. tubs and just filled the extra space with wadded up newspaper in addition to a hide and a large water dish. I had no problems whatsoever with them and they fit comfortably in 28 qt. tubs for at least the first couple of years. Then they can get bumped up to 41 qt. racks or 4' x 2' x 12" PVC enclosures.
    I love that 28q tub rack! Thats's almost exactly what i want! I'd only have two or three tub slots though. And I might be breeding in the future so I'm glad you added that about breeding the Matrix Bloods. I like Superball hybrids but I understand that mutts are undesierable in the snake world and I respect that How much did it cost you to make? Also as far as I understand you dont have any adults yet but what size tubs are good for adults?
    "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live"
    -J.K Rowling Sorcerer's Stone
    Long time no see, back at it again in my white vans.

Thanks

I think adults can fit in those Christmas tree storage bins.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BallPythonWannaBe View Post
    I love that 28q tub rack! Thats's almost exactly what i want! I'd only have two or three tub slots though. And I might be breeding in the future so I'm glad you added that about breeding the Matrix Bloods. I like Superball hybrids but I understand that mutts are undesierable in the snake world and I respect that How much did it cost you to make? Also as far as I understand you dont have any adults yet but what size tubs are good for adults?
    None of the traditional tubs are appropriate for adult bloods. You're talking about a snake that has 6ft 25-30 lb potential. So, unless you want something like a freedom breeder 66, I think you'll need a pvc cage. I would say 48 x 24 floor space is the minimum required.

Thanks

I really love my Ball Python even though hes a bit boreing at times
    If by boring you mean inactive, then you're going to be real bored with a blood. Bloods will make your BP seem relativly active.

Thanks

My 28 qt. rack took 2 sheets of melamine, which are $30.00 per sheet. That was for 9 slots. You could easily make a 2 slot rack with only one sheet. You may as well just make it a 4 or 5 slot rack, though. That way you wouldn't waste any material and you would have room for a couple more Bloods/Short Tails in the future if you decide to get more. Lowes will cut the melamine to the exact sizes for you, by the way. Then you can just take them home and assemble your rack without having to even make one single cut. I used 6" THG heat tape in that rack, which costs $2.20 per foot + $2.49 for each connection set at Reptile Basics. Then you would just need a cheap Dollar Store extension cord to use for the wiring. By the way, don't let the wiring scare you. I'm about as electronically challenged as they come, but heat tape is so simple to wire up that a child could do it. You will of course need a good thermostat as well. I use Vivarium Electronics VE-100's for both of my racks as well as the incubator I just made. They work great and are very affordable. I also get those from Reptile Basics for $84.99 and shipping is free for orders over $50.00. You will need a roll of aluminum tape for taping the heat tape down and 1 1/2" screws. The aluminum tape is around $6.00 or so per roll and screws are probably $5.00. I used 1/8" laminated panel board for the backing on my racks, which costs only $10.00 or $12.00 per sheet + little nails (maybe $5.00). To make the front edges look nice you will want a roll of the laminated trim (I can never remember what it's called, but it's applied with an iron and costs about $6.00 per roll). 28 qt. tubs are $5.00 or $6.00 each at Walmart... So, I would estimate that you could build a 2 - 28 qt. rack with heat tape and tubs for under $90.00 total. To make it a 4 slot rack it would only cost you around $25.00 additional for more heat tape, connection sets and tubs...

I have a 2015 female Matrix Het T+ that is still comfortably residing in my 28 qt. rack. She would actually be lost in a 41 qt. rack at this point and she will be turning 3 years old sometime between June and September next year. Unless she is just a lot smaller than average female Blood Pythons or will be putting on A LOT of size soon, I can't see her needing a 4' x 2' x 12" PVC enclosure for at least a couple more years. And, yes... Blood Pythons are definitely much more "pet rock-like" than Ball Pythons... They are fat and lazy, but I love them all the same! lol

With regard to Superball hybrids, I am totally going to be making some within the next couple of years! They will be awesome and I guarantee plenty of people will want them! I will be making some Walls, too (Woma x Ball)!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Aedryan Methyus For This Useful Post:

BallPythonWannaBe (12-19-2017)

Thanks

Thats quiet a bit cheaper than the VE-2 and than the extra money can go to snakes My mother was asking about DIY cages and for the life of me I cant find a strait awnser about if I need to seal the cages because of using Pine wood

Thanks

https://www.morphmarket.com/us/c/rep...gn=morphreport
    I need to stop looking at these guys on MM

Thanks

Have you looked at Carpet pythons?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DennisM View Post
    None of the traditional tubs are appropriate for adult bloods. You're talking about a snake that has 6ft 25-30 lb potential. So, unless you want something like a freedom breeder 66, I think you'll need a pvc cage. I would say 48 x 24 floor space is the minimum required.
    This rack would only be for the first two years(Or however long it takes them to outgrow it. I'm not even sure if I am going this route yet)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MD_Pythons View Post
    Have you looked at Carpet pythons?
    I have actually but they just dont intrest me.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast