Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,744

2 members and 2,742 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran BallPythonWannaBe's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Boa or Blood Python??

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    I would be far more concerned about an adult rabbit confronting a poor baby blood python than a blood python gaining a blood lust for rabbit
    Thats what I told my mom Especially since the rabbit in question is around 12-13 pounds

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dylan815 View Post
    I would suggest a boa over a ball python. For me personally boas seem to have so much personality. They are very very fun snakes to handle because of their size. Not too big, not too small. They are just right. They are smart, inquisitive snakes that i think are very rewarding to keep. There also are some really really really cool morphs. I personally love the sunglows, moonglows, and Dumerils boas. +1 for boas from me.
    I really love my Ball Python even though hes a bit boreing at times
    "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live"
    -J.K Rowling Sorcerer's Stone
    Long time no see, back at it again in my white vans.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BallPythonWannaBe View Post
    The rabbits do get out and run around but are in a giant cage most of the time. I also assured her that the snake cage would have locks on it
    Yeah.... Be careful haha, you never know what an animal will do when present with food way to big. You can never be too careful. my dad had a friend in high school who had a retic and the family got a new kitten. Someone wasn't paying attention and the retic got ahold of the kitten. There was nothing they could do as the retic coiled around it so fast and was so amazingly strong..... Irresponsible Pet owners.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats what I told my mom Especially since the rabbit in question is around 12-13 pounds

- - - Updated - - -

I really love my Ball Python even though hes a bit boreing at times
    I love my ball python, but i don't think ill ever buy another one. My hearts been stolen by retics.... And so has my wallett......
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Mainland Reticulated
    1.0 High lines Red Tail Boa

Thanks

Yeah.... Be careful haha, you never know what an animal will do when present with food way to big. You can never be too careful. my dad had a friend in high school who had a retic and the family got a new kitten. Someone wasn't paying attention and the retic got ahold of the kitten. There was nothing they could do as the retic coiled around it so fast and was so amazingly strong..... Irresponsible Pet owners.

- - - Updated - - -

I love my ball python, but i don't think ill ever buy another one. My hearts been stolen by retics.... And so has my wallett......
    I'd love an SD retic but they are illegal to keep here Thats horrible! I would never have a snake out at the same time as another pet

Thanks

I'd love an SD retic but they are illegal to keep here Thats horrible! I would never have a snake out at the same time as another pet
    Where are you located?
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Mainland Reticulated
    1.0 High lines Red Tail Boa

Thanks
    My concern with the yummy smell of rabbit filling the air would be keeping the Blood in constant feeding mode and getting bit all the time. Most of my Bloods and Short Tails turn into ravenous beasts on feeding day as the rats are thawing out in the snake room. It is very difficult to even slide their tubs out to feed them, because they immediately lung out of their tubs snapping at the first thing they see... lol My Boas are even worse... You can't even walk past the rack without them striking the front of their tubs. I don't have my new SD Retics in my possession yet, but from what I understand, they will probably be even worse on feeding day...

Thanks

Where are you located?
    Iowa. So no hogs or hots either.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    My concern with the yummy smell of rabbit filling the air would be keeping the Blood in constant feeding mode and getting bit all the time. Most of my Bloods and Short Tails turn into ravenous beasts on feeding day as the rats are thawing out in the snake room. It is very difficult to even slide their tubs out to feed them, because they immediately lung out of their tubs snapping at the first thing they see... lol My Boas are even worse... You can't even walk past the rack without them striking the front of their tubs. I don't have my new SD Retics in my possession yet, but from what I understand, they will probably be even worse on feeding day...
    Ah. That could be a problem. Besides the bedroom the cage could be in the kitchen or the bathroom

Thanks

Hey guys! So I have been looking at Bloods and I found three morphs like Black Bloods(Kinda confused on this as i dont know if they are bloods or a diffrent sub-species of Short-tail) Ivory(Super Matrix) and Matrix. I talked it over with my mom and she gave me the go-ahead if I want to get two. My dilmena is that I'd rather buy a small rack to put them in at first and than when they need it, upgrade to PVC cages or a DIY iris x-mas tree tub rack. Any input on this? I was thinking a VE-2 rack?

Thanks

"Black Bloods" are a different species of python. And I can't help with racks, I don't use them.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MD_Pythons For This Useful Post:

BallPythonWannaBe (12-18-2017)

Thanks
    Blood Pythons, Borneo Short Tail Pythons and Sumatran Short Tail Pythons ("Black Bloods") are 3 different species. Generally, Bloods are the largest of the 3 species, Borneos are the second largest and Sumatrans are the smallest... If you are thinking about breeding them in the future make sure you get 2 of the same species and keep their bloodlines pure. As interesting as cross breeding these species might seem like it would be you would only get brown snakes, anyway. Matrix are of the Blood Python species and breeding Matrix x Matrix will produce Ivory. 25% of the clutch would be Ivory if you hit the odds.

I would recommend building your own 28 qt. melamine rack. They are very simple and cheap to build. The prices companies are charging for simple little rack systems are absurd! I also highly recommend building the type with the sides and back enclosed. They maintain heat and humidity much more than the open type. Here is the 10 - 28 qt. rack I built:

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ake-Rack-Build

And, my 10 - 41 qt. rack:

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ake-Rack-Build

Everyone will tell you the smaller the tub the better for hatchlings, but I started all of mine off in 28 qt. tubs and just filled the extra space with wadded up newspaper in addition to a hide and a large water dish. I had no problems whatsoever with them and they fit comfortably in 28 qt. tubs for at least the first couple of years. Then they can get bumped up to 41 qt. racks or 4' x 2' x 12" PVC enclosures.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast