Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,139

1 members and 2,138 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran BallPythonWannaBe's Avatar
    Thanks

Boa or Blood Python??

Hey guys! I have been given the go ahead for another snake! This will be around March of 2018 or possibly a bit later. As you may know I currently own a Ball Python. I have been reading up on Boas(BCI) and Blood Pythons. I have also been looking at Boa vs Blood threads but can't find anything reverent to my situation. From what I've read Bloods have more specific needs than other snakes,and also get bigger. I'd like some advice on what you think Also I'll be able to get a nice PVC cage with a RHP and a herpstat
    "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live"
    -J.K Rowling Sorcerer's Stone
    Long time no see, back at it again in my white vans.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Bloods get big as in girth which means they can get over 20 pounds. I think one recently topped over 70 pounds. If you want something in the boa family that is not as long as a BC than rainbows or hog islands might be something to look into. Now boas don't get all that huge so it's not like you will end up with a 14 foot monster.

I think an nice male hog island can be perfectly happy forever in a 4 foot cage.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

BallPythonWannaBe (12-11-2017),Jus1More (02-18-2018)

Thanks

Re: Boa or Blood Python??

I do like Rainbow Boas although if I was to ever get one it would be a leusiatic. The length/girth disentangle really doesn't concern me as long as its not a burm or retic. I really love the beautiful sausage noodles that blood pythons are. Feel free to suggest other species too,I forgot to add that to my original post. Please note I would never buy an animal that I couldn't properly care for!
    Last edited by BallPythonWannaBe; 12-11-2017 at 08:06 PM.

Thanks

I have a blood, so I'll share some of what I know. They've got a slower metabolism so they really shouldn't be fed more than a bp, even though they can get more than twice the weight of one. They are more advanced than bps, but if you did a lot of research you could probably handle it. As far as I know, they should be kept in tubs until they hit about a year old and then you can move them into tanks. They are rather sedate, so if you want something more lively I'd look at other snakes.

Thanks

Would a tub inside the PVC enclosure work? There's a member on here who did something similar for a small MBK. My ambient house temps arnt really high enough for a tub by itself.

Thanks

I think someone here had a similar quarantine setup, A tub inside a vision cage with a RHP. That might work.

Thanks

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ller-container
    Here's an example of what I was thinking. What would be the best kind of enclosure for a blood?

Thanks

You could do that, bloods can be kept at 82ish degrees so you could put the tub right under the RHP.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MD_Pythons For This Useful Post:

BallPythonWannaBe (12-11-2017)

Thanks
    It really depends on what sort of personality you would like most. Blood Python's needs aren't anymore difficult to accommodate than a Boa or Ball Python. They simply just like cooler temperatures on their warm side is all. They are much easier to care for than Ball Pythons in my opinion, simply because they rarely ever turn down a meal. Between the Boas and Bloods, personality and joy of handling goes to Boas hands down. They say Ball Pythons are the pet rocks of the snake world, but I think that title should go to Blood Pythons as much as I love them. But, if you're looking for something different of stunning beauty that reaches the nice, fat girthy size of a Burmese or Retic, but without the un-handleable length, Blood Pythons are where it's at! They are great lap snakes, but they don't really coil around you. Most of mine seem to enjoy crawling around on me and looking around and exploring, though. Their dispositions are much less forgiving than a Boa or Ball Python, but with proper regular handling most of them are perfectly docile and they mellow out even more with age. I highly recommend hook training with all snakes, but with Bloods especially. You wouldn't catch me sticking my hand in their enclosures without making sure they're awake and know it's coming first! lol Between my Bloods, Borneos and Sumatrans, I think I would have to say I favor my Sumatrans. Their colors are just out of this world! But, I love dark snakes... Just in case you don't already know, Bloods are the largest of the three species, followed by Borneos and Sumatrans are generally the smallest of the three...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Aedryan Methyus For This Useful Post:

BallPythonWannaBe (12-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Hands down, BCI or BCC all the way.....or a retic. But then again, I'm biased towards those two. Boas are pretty simple to take care of and even if you dont interact with them every day or even every week, they still stay docile assuming you worked with them as a baby.

And retics, Caesar is the only snake ive ever seen that i felt was needy lol. When he's not in shed, he is actually pretty social and always out at night sitting infront of the door i usually leave open for him like he's waiting for me to pet him. I slide the door open and he stands up, looks at me and then lays down by me while i pet him or he will lay his head on my arm. I know snakes dont have feelings like that but i swear Caesar likes the attention lol. If i wander away and sit down to watch tv, he will slide down the cage stack to the floor and explore lol.

I have never owned a blood python but since I'm limited to probably something like 10-12 snakes, there isnt enough room for stuff other than BCI, BCC and retic
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast