Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,288

5 members and 3,283 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

PETA - 5 Reasons To Never Buy A Snake???

I just happened upon this page and thought I would share it with you guys... The claims they make in this article are ridiculous! lol

https://www.peta.org/living/companio...es-never-pets/

Thanks

Re: PETA - 5 Reasons To Never Buy A Snake???

Man, what a missed opportunity. They could've written something on how a particular company or breeder was bad, but nope. They're just painting the entire hobby with the same incorrect brush. Such a shame.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    this article has been shared and discussed here before.

PETA is nothing more than a corporation whose goal is to increase profit margins, nothing else. the only part of the article i agree with is the final sentence that pleads with the reader to never purchase a snake from a pet store.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 12-11-2017 at 03:24 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (12-11-2017),KevinK (12-11-2017)

Thanks
    If PETA had their way, we wouldn't be able to own ANY animal...They just don't make those claims about cats and dogs due to the possible backlash from people that donate to them. HSUS is the same way, they just disguise it better.

Notice that the article has no place to comment on it lol...
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

AmericanTacos (01-03-2018),bcr229 (12-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts
    1. Depends on the species but when it comes to common pet store snakes, most are captive bred by a long shot. 1 facility out of thousands makes it a dirty business? Now it wouldn't surprise me if they found a few bad ones, but at the same time, what happened when we looked into you peta? https://www.huffingtonpost.com/natha...b_2979220.html
    2. They don't need spectrum lighting and the special diet is available at every store that sells snakes, under the term feeder.
    3. I'm sure every dog owner is feeding their dogs vegan dog food.....
    4. Yup kinda like the hole in the ground they would be in in the wild. obviously this is very species specific.
    5. Can someone link me to the original study? I seriously cannot find it. I mean even: https://www.rsb.org.uk/component/sea...limit=50&areas[0]=content&Itemid=531

So now lets say the same for dogs. It is a dirty business we all know that, we have the term puppy mill. PETA is involved with some of the dirtiness themselves. Dog have far more specialized needs. Attention, Training, yard to run around it, need walks, ect. My dogs kill any small animal in the backyard. Dogs have been kept in captivity for before written history, im sure both my dogs would love to be running through forests also. PETA whats your mortality rates of the dogs under your care?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (12-11-2017),Sambo76 (12-12-2017),the_rotten1 (12-12-2017)

Thanks

The reality of nature escapes the eco-terrorists at PETA, and I say that as a person who loved many of the bands that actually endorse this insane organization.

They fault the ownership of snakes for humanely producing rodents that they NEED to eat?...and would otherwise do so in the wild?

Well what about dog food? What approach do they take to that?.....canines aren't supposed to have a grain-based diet.

Penn and Teller hit the nail on the head with them.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Who knows they might be right and we might just be horrible people. Good thing I do not care what Peta thinks. Now if you will excuse me I need to go make me some lunch containing the flesh of a persecuted animal.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

Aerries (12-11-2017),Godzilla78 (12-11-2017),Sambo76 (12-12-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    Who knows they might be right and we might just be horrible people. Good thing I do not care what Peta thinks. Now if you will excuse me I need to go make me some lunch containing the flesh of a persecuted animal.
    That right there is hysterical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    I like how the last argument from them is snakes released into the wild can damage the local ecosystem. I guess Peta never did their research into feral cats or feral pigs and how much damage they DO do to local ecosystem. And the fact that snakes arent going to reproduce in captivity as much since it would be a choice by the owner where as cats are allowed to free roam the neighborhood thus breeding like crazy and the owners dont want a bunch of cats so they release the kittens to the wild.....

And captivity is cruel can be applied to any animal. You could say its cruel to keep fish in a tank when they could be roaming the open rivers, lakes and oceans. Same with dogs and cats even though they both have been domesticated. But that didnt happen over a year or two. So all the generations of dogs from wild to the date they were domesticated were cruelly being kept in captivity.

A killing cycle? Seriously? They are advocating crickets??!! Crickets are destructive and can carry disease. Not to mention how fast they breed. Same with mice and rats. Rabbits breed like crazy. There is a reason people say 'breed like rabbits'. Also why dont they go after meat rabbit farms. People slaughter and eat more rabbits than snakes do lol. And arguing killing cycle is stupid as things eat other things in the wild and have for millions of years. it's the circle of life. get over yourself Peta see how many of your supporters eat cows, pigs, baby cows, chickens, fish and other living things that get slaughter and raised in WAY less humane ways than a snake eats a mouse or rat....

As for specialized needs.....does that mean any handicapped dog or cat or bird should be euthanized as they require special needs too. I do kind of agree though that pet shops should fully educate their staff and not try to shortsell a reptile and should tell the potential customer exactly what is all needed for the proper care of the reptile.

And finally, the dirty business comment. Has Peta never seen a puppy mill? Or a cow slaughter house or chicken farms or pig pens? All mass farmed food animals have the potential to be raised in filthy conditions. They are just using the mass breeding facilities which are usually bad but if you look at how many of those are around as private breeders which take good care of their animals, you will see its probably on par with the free range food animal farms vs the mass slaughter houses.

Sorry for the rant but since i couldnt comment there, i had to comment here so you have to all listen to me lol.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (12-12-2017),Aerries (12-12-2017),DLena (12-29-2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast