Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,424

1 members and 2,423 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned
    Thanks

Re: Photos of Ludo since we're just hanging out together...

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    As stated earlier in the thread, males (usually) are quite a bit smaller than the females. More like a large BP female, or bigger, but not monsters.
    Even an underfed male BCI who is only 5 foot long will end up having much bigger girth than a female BP. I mean much much bigger. Boas continue to grow in girth their entire lives. So a male Boa over 10 years old will be having a massive girth compared to a BP female. Comparing BP to BCI in size?! No way!!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CloudtheBoa View Post
    He's not small for his age at all. Depending on how you're feeding him, I wouldn't worry about his growth rate.

This is my 2 year old male, he's only 3', maybe a few inches shy of 3'. My females are going to be 3 in June, and they're only about 4' or under. Boas grow very, very slowly when they aren't being overfed.

(This photo is 2 months old, so he's smaller, but shows his body tone better. You want a rectangular cross section with flat sides and without rounded sides.)

They either are or aren't anery. It's possible this boa is an anery, as he displays the characteristics of the morph, but he can't have "some" anery.
    Here is my 21 months old boy(5 foot+ and 2300 grams)

[IMG][/IMG]

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mamaodie View Post
    Mama is het anery. It really doesn't matter either way to me, I just like snakes. I have a few and a small list of others I want to own because they're interesting and beautiful. I appreciate learning from and observing them as well as handling and I take pride in my fastidious care of my animals so that I can provide the safest and "happiest" life possible for each of them. As for why I chose a morph when I couldn't even recall the genetics he possesses I thought he was a pretty baby so I picked him. I'm still new to all this anyway and it'd be wayyyyy irresponsible for me to mess around with breeding until I have much more experience under my belt. I just wanted to share a few photos on occasion where people might actually enjoy them... my friends and family aren't snake fans and they're getting tired of me showing them my "baby pictures" lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Agreed! If you do plan on breeding, having some time to get to know the species does nothing but help you.

When I've had a choice in picking out my snakes, I tend to pick them out based on their uniqueness as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutti View Post
    Even an underfed male BCI who is only 5 foot long will end up having much bigger girth than a female BP. I mean much much bigger. Boas continue to grow in girth their entire lives. So a male Boa over 10 years old will be having a massive girth compared to a BP female. Comparing BP to BCI in size?! No way!!
    That isn't necessarily true. Boas do take a long time to grow, but not every boa will continue to grow past 10 years. I'm not really convinced on the indeterminate growth that seems to be common belief. I haven't been able to find any scientific studies that back that claim up (though I'm seriously hindered by lack of ability to pay through pay walls), and what primary sources I could find were religious-based and thus not reliable in this instance. Any sources that further specified on lifelong growth seemed to think that the growth could only be measured in nanometers or micrometers per year, which hardly qualifies as actual real growth in the sense that you can measure it.

Things that can make it seem like they grow throughout their life:
    -a stunted individual receiving adequate food well past normal growth periods suddenly hitting a growth spurt
    -a boa that only lives to 10-20 years (or less!), when they might not have continued to grow if they had lived longer
    -a slow grown boa growing at its normal rate, but not having lived its lifespan yet (again, boas are slow growers, and could potentially grow past 10 years, but might not)

I have also noticed that sometimes boas will hit random growth spurts at random times in their lives, but without any knowledge of other factors, it is impossible to use them as evidence for or against indeterminate growth.

I will agree that the girth is much greater in even a male boa vs a ball python, they are quite thick snakes!
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123