Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,162

2 members and 3,160 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

View Poll Results: Do you prefer male or female beardies?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Male

4 33.33%
  • Female

1 8.33%
  • No preference

7 58.33%
    Thanks

Wink Looking for Breeders

Looking to surprise my sister with a beardie for Christmas! Oddly enough, of all the colors, she just wants a plain ol' brown one. Anyone have some good breeders they could recommend? They HAVE to offer shipping or we can't do it. Looking for anyone reliable with healthy young beardies. She's only 11 but she's very responsible and cares for sugar gliders, snakes, rodents, etc. at her dad's. I'm confident that she'll be an excellent owner, but I want to be sure we get her the healthiest beardie possible.

Also - any preferences of male v.s. female? Temperament differences between them? Please let me know!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 617 Posts
    I have a male beardie and have only ever had a male, so can't compare him to females. Mine came from Carolina Classic Dragons, but I wanted a fancy color morph (citrus tiger). If you are looking for a well bred normal, I recommend South Texas Dragons. I have been to Joe's home and have interacted with many of his beardies. They had fabulous temperaments and Joe is very knowledgeable. I had my boy's custom enclosure built by Joe too, and it's awesome.
    Last edited by hilabeans; 12-09-2017 at 05:47 PM.

1.0 Lesser Mojave Ball Python "Neptune"; 1.0 Western Hognose "Murray"

Lizards:
    1.0 Bearded Dragon "Nigel"

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:
    1.0 Emperor Scorpion "Boba"

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:
    "Hazelnut" & "Huckleberry"

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you are planning on a pet and pet only I will suggest a male, female can lay eggs without being mated which means issues can arise because of it as well.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    I'm biased because I only have one female beardie and no experience with boy beardies, but I love her! She's very very sweet and happily sits in my lap and snuggles into my legs. I got her when she was 2 yrs old, so she was pretty docile when I first got her. I know that the young beardies are super curious and flighty.

I definitely think you'll get a beardie for the best price by visiting nearby reptile cons! I always see a lot at my local reptile con, and only the pretty morphs fetch a pretty penny.

(Also, make sure you/she research UVB bulbs! Their health rapidly declines when not provided with strong UVB rays, and many bulbs don't cut it. Other than that, they're pretty easy reptiles!)

Thanks
    I'd go with a male... Less chance of egg-binding or laying issues (as already stated).

I also think going to a local reptile show would be a great place to find a beardie. If you can find a show close to you, see if they have a vendor list you can view. Then look up those vendors on google and on fauna classifieds BOI to see what the seller's reputation is.

You can also try posting on a bearded dragon forum on FB (or a dedicated forum like this one) to see what people suggest.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS