Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,382

2 members and 3,380 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Need a little advice.

This is my first post so I apologize in advance if this is the wrong board for this.

I have two BPs one 3 year old normal (Magnolia) I received as a surrender who is an absolute doll and a very young pastel (Rosie) I bought from petco (I know, I know).
    Unfortunately after getting Rosie home I noticed she had mites, so I immediately started taking steps to get rid of the mites and I'm happy to say that's finally over.

I've slowly started to try and get her used to handling and of course she's still pretty nervous but while I had her out tonight I let her roam around on the bed. The concern I have here is that while she was cruising along she decided to try and climb up my leg (legs straight out not cross legged) and she seemed to have trouble climbing up. I also noticed that she seemed to lose her balance and flop onto her back. She is able to flip her self over when she falls and does not stay upside down for very long at all. Also last night while she was exploring the bed she suddenly started slithering in place really quickly, and again tried to climb my leg but had trouble again. While she was doing this she was still slithering really quickly and because she wasn't gripping my leg at all she kind of just bounced around until I picked her up and returned her to her tank.
    I guess my main concern is is this normal for baby balls? Considering the only experience I have is with an already established and mature ball I'm not sure if I'm overthinking this cause she's my first baby or if I really need to be concerned.

Rosie has successfully eaten (F/T fuzzies) for me 3 times with no issues at all. She weighs 73g as of tonight. Her temps/humidity are where they should be though I am using a red halogen bulb for heat until I can get a thermostat for the heat pad. She has multiple places in her tank to hide(two hides on either side and lots of leaves to hide under) and I replace her water if not daily then every other day.

Sorry for such a long post, but thank you in advance for any advice!

Thanks

Talking Re: Need a little advice.

She's doing fine. I've had a baby ball before. And that sounds similar to what he was like. Always flopping around figuring out the world. So, that's perfectly normal! No need to be worried, just keep a close eye on them so he doesn't get into too much trouble.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    That is really cute to hear actually. They do get all confused when they can't get traction and ball pythons should really be called crash pythons because they are clumsy!
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 602 Posts
    Maze used to do that all the time. They want to GO and don't know that GOING might result in falling XD. Something that comes with experience.

And Maze has actually shown visible improvement in the past 4 months. Just yesterday I had her out and she actually took her time moving between objects that had little traction. Instead of flopping over she would only move a portion of her body forward to test things, then carefully withdraw if it didn't support her. (I had a close eye on her and hand ready just in case)

It's amazing to think that they can learn so quickly if given the opportunity.
    0.1 Red Axanthic P. regius | Mazikeen
    E. climacophora | Lan Fan
    C. paulsoni | Inej

Thanks
    Thank you all for your answers! I was worried that she may have had some kind of problem. It makes sense the babies would be pretty floppy. I’m happy to know my baby is happy and healthy!