Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,251

0 members and 2,251 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Little one not eating?

Hi,

My name's Kody (a new ball owner but the owner of a corn snake as well.) I have a very young ball python, maybe thirteen/fourteen inches long, who is stubborn and refusing to eat. A friend who has a ball tells me not to worry, but naturally, I am (haha.)

I've tried puncturing the frozen food and wiggling it with tongs, but she seems to be scared of the latter.

Anyone have any advice RE: feeding her? I don't want to starve her out. It's been about ten - fourteen days since her last meal and I'm slightly worried.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Little one not eating?

Quote Originally Posted by kodyboye View Post
    Hi,

My name's Kody (a new ball owner but the owner of a corn snake as well.) I have a very young ball python, maybe thirteen/fourteen inches long, who is stubborn and refusing to eat. A friend who has a ball tells me not to worry, but naturally, I am (haha.)

I've tried puncturing the frozen food and wiggling it with tongs, but she seems to be scared of the latter.

Anyone have any advice RE: feeding her? I don't want to starve her out. It's been about ten - fourteen days since her last meal and I'm slightly worried.
    Not to worry is a blanket statement and does not apply to all BP it depends on the age with a young BP the #1 cause of refusal is husbandry, and the wrong prey being offered.

Since you provide very little info such as weight of the animal and husbandry I will just refer you to this. https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-hatchling-101

Do this to a T, if the animal is young getting it to eat ASAP is very important, young BP should be voracious if not there is something not working out.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

kodyboye (12-09-2017)

Thanks
    Thanks Deborah! I will look this over.

Thanks
    Okay. I think part of my problem is that I have her in too big a tank. Would it be safe to put her in a small tub INSIDE the tank? Should I close it up? Tupperware style would work all right for this?

As to live food, I'm not sure where I'd acquire it. The pet store people said she was eating frozen thawed mice, so I imagine she WILL eat them, but I'm not sure.

Thank you so much for your help. It's much appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    They need hides, ESPECIALLY as babies. you want them in a small cave-like structure, where they can feel safe and ambush their food from inside.
    Here is a giant female adult swallowing her food from inside her hide.

Here is a baby, grabbing his food from under cover of his paper substrate and then pulling it back under to eat in privacy.

Another adult grabbing dinner from her tub.

This one is very tame and not shy at all, so she will even eat out on the open, in the middle of the living room! This is highly unusual though, they like to ambush and eat from inside a little burrow. (we call them "hides" in the hobby.)

Thanks
    Thanks for the advice Godzilla! She's got two hides, so I'm not too worried about that.

I talked to an associate of mine at the pet store I work at and she recommended I force her (since that's what they have to do to several of the balls due to the trauma of shipping.) So, tonight, I did it, and once I got it in her mouth, she did most of the work!

So, yay! Littlest noodle has been fed!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Little one not eating?

Kinda worrying that pet stores force feed stubborn snakes as a norm - to be honest ... it never crossed my mind that those things went on .

I seem to think that force feeding isn't exactly recommended , I've seen some reports of "assist feeding " as a last resort but you have to know what you're doing , I'd suggest .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 12-10-2017 at 05:16 AM.