Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,075

1 members and 3,074 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I give up

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: I give up

Quote Originally Posted by Aerries View Post
    Ramsey shed two weeks ago...hasnt fed since the 28th...I'll try again next week. I think shes going into breeding mode...damn women no offence to anyone hahaha
    Can't live with em, can't live without em.😉

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    Both my adults are on winter fasts. One hasn’t eaten in 9 weeks! I don’t know why I keep trying so much, I’m giving up too. I’m not offering again until 2018.
    The juveniles are still pounding them down. Flame is getting HUGE! rapidly, almost adult-size already! almost unrecognizable compared to this summer.
    Ramsey went on her fast at a very off moment in the year, she started in February and started eating again in July...lol but with being in FL our "winters" start later. but damn this is anoying lol its like every week i have to fight with her to get her to eat...like i said i just hope its a girl thing cause shes almost to that age of breeding....but shes only 740g which is 250+ g from when she went off her fasting...mind u im not gonna breed a norm.

Thanks
    Try waiting for 2 weeks between offerings. My picky BP was helped by this. Also, have you tried other prey items? My girl won't take a rat if offered first. If I give her a jumbo mouse first, then wait ~20 minutes and offer the rat, she will usually take it at that point.

Good luck, I feel your frustration. One of my new BPs (purchased this year at ~100 grams) literally runs from her food and fear-strikes. I'm in for the long haul with her though, as she is a future breeding project animal lol. *sigh*
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Hi
    If all else fails .. leave for two weeks no disturbances aside from water changes then try the 'hairdryer' trick !!

I've sent you the method in detail by PM ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    One of my new BPs (purchased this year at ~100 grams) literally runs from her food and fear-strikes. I'm in for the long haul with her though, as she is a future breeding project animal lol. *sigh*
    What do you usually do to get her to eat? Or are you just waiting her out?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aerries View Post
    she shows EVERY sign she’s hungry but once presented with food she totally negates the fact that “hey food!”
    Does she ignore both live and frozen? Rats and mice?

I rank the ideal prey as: f/t rat >> live rat > f/t mouse > live mouse (although this can vary a little bit depending on size of snake/size of prey). If a snake is refusing food for an abnormally long time and it can't be attributed to winter fasting, then I'll begrudgingly work my way down the list until I can get them to eat SOMETHING. After they eat a less-than-ideal meal I don't give them anything at all for two weeks. Then I offer them a f/t rat again. 9 out of 10 will go back to eating f/t rats following a single live meal. Almost like I have to jumpstart their metabolism after a long fast.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Family Jewels For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-08-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I found using a hairdryer and then literally having a rats nose poking up the ass of the mouse as its swallowed worked wonders on my fussy royal. He's on a fast at the moment because of shedding.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Vipera Berus For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (12-08-2017)

Thanks

I've tried different methods. My husband had success this week... I took out her second hide to encourage her to stay in her warm side hide and not be out in the open (I think she gets defensive when she is exposed). And he walked the mouse around for close to 3 minutes before she would strike and took it.

In the past, she's either been afraid due to being exposed / out, scared by us offering the mouse too close to her or approaching her, or just fear struck repeatedly even after showing "hungry" behavior (roaming the tub).

At this point, our track record is maybe 3-5 with 3 being our successful feeding attempts.

We are just trying every 5-7 days and hoping for the best. Really hoping she'll grow out of it. :/
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks

In the few months that we have had our BP we have found his feeding response to be the best when he is in his hide. When he is hungry, he will usually stick his head out of the hide when he senses any activity. If that activity happens to be a f/t rat he strikes hard and fast. Somehow I think striking from cover is a more natural response for them. At least it works for our boy.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to larryd23 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (12-08-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

I give up

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    I've tried different methods. My husband had success this week... I took out her second hide to encourage her to stay in her warm side hide and not be out in the open (I think she gets defensive when she is exposed). And he walked the mouse around for close to 3 minutes before she would strike and took it.

In the past, she's either been afraid due to being exposed / out, scared by us offering the mouse too close to her or approaching her, or just fear struck repeatedly even after showing "hungry" behavior (roaming the tub).

At this point, our track record is maybe 3-5 with 3 being our successful feeding attempts.

We are just trying every 5-7 days and hoping for the best. Really hoping she'll grow out of it. :/
    Are you feeding thawed frozen or live ??

My Royals will ONLY strike the mouse / rat from within their hides , I just dangle the warmed up ( by hairdryer ) rodent on tongs right in the entrance to the hide and they grab it and drag it under the hide ..

I'd also try every 14 days and then work downward gradually when he/ she starts to eat again ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 12-08-2017 at 05:18 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (12-08-2017)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast