Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,753

0 members and 2,753 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Space Heater - Ambient Temp Push

Sorry for the multiple threads on space heaters (electric, oil, etc..) but I haven't been able to find the exact information I need.

Now that it's getting a little cold outside (20-30s), I'm worried that my ambients could take a hit. I normally run in the high 70's (77-79-ish) but this morning I saw a low of 75. I have PVC enclosure where my TSTAT2 controls a UTH on each side. For ambient temps, I've been running a wall mounted mini split unit a constant 79 degrees in a 650 sqft finished basement.

https://www.highseer.com/ultra-high-...-ductless.html (an example of what I have)

I'm a 1st time BP owner and the basement / heating unit is fairly new as well so I don't know what to expect when outside temps drop lower then what they are. My HVAC guy mentioned these units are great but they could stop working if it gets too cold outside. Rather then wait to the last minute, should I buy something to supplement this unit like a small space heater.

Any recommendations are welcomed?

Thanks

Re: Space Heater - Ambient Temp Push

I'm surprised that with that unit you would have to supplement?? Those look pretty pricey. You would think that unit would suffice. I have been running an oil filled heater since winter hit to keep my ambients up at 75 degrees and I saw my electric bill double. So, I decided it would be cheaper to run my home furnace set at 74-75 degrees instead.

Luckily, I like to be warm so it doesn't bother me at all. I will see if using more natural gas ends up being cheaper than electricity use.
    L. West
    1.0 CORAL ALBINO BOA (OWEN)
    1.0 PANAMANIAN HYPO BOA (SAWYER)
    1.0 DUMERIL'S BOA (GRAYSON)
    1.0 ALBINO HONDURAN (RIVER)
    0.1 TANGERINE HONDURAN (FAITH)
    1.0 ALBINO TESSERA CORN SNAKE (RILEY)

Thanks

Re: Space Heater - Ambient Temp Push

Quote Originally Posted by L.West View Post
    I'm surprised that with that unit you would have to supplement?? Those look pretty pricey. You would think that unit would suffice. I have been running an oil filled heater since winter hit to keep my ambients up at 75 degrees and I saw my electric bill double. So, I decided it would be cheaper to run my home furnace set at 74-75 degrees instead.

Luckily, I like to be warm so it doesn't bother me at all. I will see if using more natural gas ends up being cheaper than electricity use.
    It's possible I don't need to supplement my current unit and I can just up the temperature a little bit. It made me start thinking a little bit when my HVAC guy mentioned potential issues when it's 'too cold' outside. I just want to be prepared in case something happens and I thought maybe buying a cheap space heater and sitting it within a close distance of the enclosure would be a easy solution in the evening hours when temps are lowest.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Having a good backup heater in case the heat pump in your HVAC unit can't keep up isn't a bad idea. If you want to use a thermostat to control the heater, you need one of the high power ones both Vivarium Electronics and Spyder Robotics sell.
    Last edited by SDA; 12-07-2017 at 05:54 PM.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'