Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,051

0 members and 3,051 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation Possible start of scale rot? Red spots showing up?

My girl has been starting to show some weird spots on her skin. These spots are like little bits of red underneath her scales. She's also about to go into shed, but her behavior is normal and she's acting fine and doing usual BP things.

Here's some photos. She was a good girl and stayed still as I took these: https://imgur.com/a/wbq6R

She's in an AP T8 tub with a RHP, hottest spot is around 93 F and cold spot is around 77-80 F. Usually her humidity when she's about to go into shed is between 65-75%, but lately since it's winter it's been around 65%, not high at all. Her ambient on her cold side is usually 74-75 F, and around 80-85 F on her hot side.

I'm just wondering what's causing this. When I first put her in her T8, I had this coco fiber (Kitty Krumble) bedding that I wanted to try out and it was safe for snakes, and she was in it for a couple of weeks or so until I saw the red spots. It's been two weeks now that she's been on plain paper towel with 2 hides, and a water bowl, all her decor (climbing wood, plastic plants etc) taken out.

She seemed to be getting better after that, I would check her every morning in the light and I wouldn't see any more red spots or any of them getting worse, so I put like a wood branch that I got from my local reptile store to place so she could climb. Seemed to be fine for a week or so..until last night when she took a big crap while I was asleep so when I cleaned her this morning I saw some red spots come back.

These spots are on the side of her as well, not specifically on her belly. I checked my temps, nothing is hot. I don't think she has mites? I haven't seen any black spots in her tank or water bowl or on her, nor has she been chilling in her water bowl at all.
    The only thing I can think of is this is the beginning of scale rot, which I'm kind of unsure how it could be like that considering I spot clean as best as I can when she goes, and all her bedding (before the paper towels) was fresh straight out of the bag.
    I was also told it might just be like an allergic reaction or she could've been sensitive to the bedding? I'm not sure. I'm just waiting for her to shed to see if these disappear.

Any help is appreciated, and if I need to go to a vet or not.
    Last edited by elleeee; 12-08-2017 at 01:24 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Possible start of scale rot? Red spots showing up?

Hi,

I see nothing in those pics to worry about in a snake coming into shed.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

The cold side temps need to be like 77-82 and the hot side needs to be mid eighties, so your temps are low. Other than that I can't tell you won't those red spots are, could just be shed belly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Normal BP "Calliope"
    0.1 Hypo Leopard Gecko “El”
    1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko “Axle”
    0.0.1 Poecilotheria Regalis
    0.0.1 Poecilotheri Subfusca
    1.0 Siamese mix cat “Kurt”
    1.0 DLH Cat “Vodka”
    0.0.1 Suriname Red Tail Boa

"I’m just more comfortable with fauna and flora than with other humans."

Thanks

My cold spot under the cold spot hide is 77 and her hot side is around 88-93. It's been cold here so her ambient on her cold side drops to 74 at night time, but during the day its at 75. Her ambient on her warm side though is around 85.

I know what she looks like when she's about to go into shed, and this is different than that, which is why I'm worried. In the photos I attached there's one photo where she has like a red spot underneath her scale, and she has more than 1 of those. So I don't know whats up and I'm hoping someone on here can help me.

Thanks

Well it's not scale rot, could be wat blisters but that comes from too high humidity+ heat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Normal BP "Calliope"
    0.1 Hypo Leopard Gecko “El”
    1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko “Axle”
    0.0.1 Poecilotheria Regalis
    0.0.1 Poecilotheri Subfusca
    1.0 Siamese mix cat “Kurt”
    1.0 DLH Cat “Vodka”
    0.0.1 Suriname Red Tail Boa

"I’m just more comfortable with fauna and flora than with other humans."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Could be one type of infection from mold, fungus, yeast, bacteria, viral, etc. If your cage, home, other snakes, you, etc are not clean of these microscopic organisms and they pass to the snake or you enter something into the enclosure that is infested, it can lead to infections.

The best thing you can do is switch to paper towels or the like until this clears up and completely disinfect the enclosure.

I want to stress that I AM NOT stating as a fact this is some sort of infection but it could be and removing the source of infectious material can help resolve this if it is. If you snake is in lower humidity like 40-50% for a brief week or two while you sanitize their enclosure you can see if this improves the condition. You don't even need to live in unhygenic conditions to transmit something into the snake cage. The slightest thing can do it.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks

Thank you! She has been on paper towels for the past week/2 weeks and her humidity is relatively in the normal range (possibly lower sometimes, 50-high 60's).

I've sprayed her enclosure down with f10 a total of like 3 times now that she's been in her new t8. I'm hoping that when she sheds it'll go away...but what if it doesn't? Vet time?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    It can take time. It looks to be at worse a yeast or fungal infection which as long as it isn't spreading should get better over time. One important thing to remember is to clean your hands before and after handling or being in the cage.

If it starts to get worse a vet visit would be an easy way to find out exactly what it is.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

elleeee (12-11-2017)

Thanks

Interesting, thank you! I'm wondering if it is a yeast or fungal infection where/how could she have gotten it from and how would I prevent it?

I'm low-key hoping its just like a snake version of acne or something like she's going through her teenager-hormone phase ha ha ha ha ~~

Someone told me that younger albino ball pythons sometimes have pink things show up and its just like a phase thing since it's easier to see on their scales because of their coloration, but I'm not sure if that's true

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    A while back I made a post about a comparison of different kinds of "coco" substrates.

I compared price, looks, performance and then added my thoughts ( also had pictures )
    There were 4 different substrates. Repti-chip, Kritters Crumble fine (what you used) Zoo Med Eco Earth and what was formerly called Herptopia.

While I ultimately preferred Herptopia over the others, I figured I would mix all of them to use them up and from then on only purchase what I liked best.

The ONLY substrate I just threw straight out into the garbage was the Kritters Crumble. It has the "weirdest" and most unpleasant feel to it. Almost like super fine needles were in it. When you had some in your hand and closed your hand, it would prick you all over.

I have NO idea if that could have anything to do with your problem, but if the snake got "pricked" just right under some scales, it may have caused irritation and allowed a reaction. Possibly even allowing some germs to enter those spots.

All I know is that I would just about rather do anything then sit on a bed of Kritters Crumble. But then again, I don't have scales to protect me

edited to add a link to that comparison post I made. You will have to scroll down a bit on that page.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...itters+crumble
    Last edited by zina10; 12-11-2017 at 01:58 AM.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupČry

12. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

elleeee (12-11-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast