Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 305

17 members and 288 guests
Most users ever online was 3,642, 05-08-2016 at 09:50 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

enginee837 (41)

» Stats

Members: 59,215
Threads: 229,261
Posts: 2,363,076
Top Poster: JLC (31,652)
Welcome to our newest member, hannahsammeli

» December 2017

S M T W T F S
26 27 28 29 30 1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31 1 2 3 4 5 6
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    Registered User Charles8088's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-14-2017
    Posts
    185
    Thanks
    211
    Thanked 47 Times in 35 Posts

    Reptichip vs. Reptile Prime for HUMIDITY

    I'm using Reptichip for the bp T8 enclosure. But, humidity still seems to be an issue. Sphagnum moss wasn't helping. The lower humidity isn't a big deal for the MBK, in the other half of the T8, but for the ball not so good. She shed yesterday, and has a little stuck shed on the head. No big deal... I'm sure she'll work it out after I misted the substrate heavily and brought the humidity back up.

    But... had me thinking... I thought the Reptichip was supposed to be good for holding the humidity. I still have a problem keeping it up. Has anyone used Reptichip AND Reptile Prime to give a comparison? I'm going to finish off the Reptichip. But, should I move to Reptile Prime? A little more expensive, but worth it if the humidity is better kept with that one.
    0.1.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Tynee)
    0.1.0 BEL Ball Python (Luna)
    0.0.6 Hermit Crabs <--- my son's

    WANT LIST
    - Russian Rat Snake
    - Woma Python
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Kenyan Sand Boa
    - Western Hognose
    - Rhino Rat Snake

  2. #2
    BPnet Veteran Sauzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-26-2014
    Location
    Seattle Washington
    Posts
    3,958
    Thanks
    1,008
    Thanked 2,857 Times in 1,714 Posts
    Lol how do you have low humidity with ReptiChips? I had the opposite with that stuff. My cages would get so much condensation in them, you couldnt see anything and i literally had droplets of moisture forming on the roof of my cages. It would last for days. i ended up getting fed up with it and actually went back to aspen which i used for years and never had issues. If i needed something for humidity, ReptiChips would be my second choice as I still love my aspen and my snakes seem to really enjoy the aspen as they burrow all over and 'play' around in it. Plus i can just as easily mist the aspen if i need to bump up humidity for a shed. Contrary to what a lot of people say about aspen molding, i have had ReptiChips and Eco Earth both mold on me, yet never had aspen mold for me. I believe its due to waste material being locked into the substrate and then staying wet. I find aspen easy to spot clean and get everything.

    I've never used Reptile Prime but it looks pretty much like a less fine version of Eco Earth. If it is like it, the stuff sucks for baby snakes. I had to hold my surinames' mouth open 2 times and swab Eco Earth out with a Q-Tip and then use a spray bottle and hang her head down and rinse her mouth out. She wasnt very happy as this was our beginning meeting with each other in the first month lol.

    Anyways, I'm sure you will get varied experiences with the any substrate and my advice is order a brick of whatever you are interested in and give it a try yourself. If you like it, then ignore everyone else and stick with it. If you hate it, then order something else and give that a try until you find something you and the snakes both seem to like
    1.0 SD/D White Albino Tiger het snow Reticulated Python-Caesar
    0.1 High White Pied Ball Python-Dottie
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie
    1.0 Salmon het Snowglow BI-Rango

    0.1 Redgroup/Burke Lipstick Sunglow BI-Victoria
    0.1 Colombian BI-Rosey
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa-Luna

    0.1 Orange Starburst Bearded Dragon-Harley

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

    Charles8088 (12-07-2017)

  4. #3
    Registered User Tonald Drump's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-23-2017
    Posts
    135
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 23 Times in 18 Posts

    Re: Reptichip vs. Reptile Prime for HUMIDITY

    l've never actually used any reptistuff before, but if you want a substrate that's good for keeping humidity, try cocopeat/cocofiber. It's pretty good at holding humidity, it's even better when mixed with other substrates, and in my experience it's pretty cheap. I buy it in bulk at my local gardener's store (because cocopeat/cocofiber also makes a great alternative to soil) for Rp 5,000/US$ 0.36 per kilogram, and it's been doing wonders for me by itself. The only thing about cocofiber that I think is bad is the fact that you probably shouldn't feed your snakes on it, as it gets stuck in mice/rat fur very easily and your snake might end up ingesting some.
    Last edited by Tonald Drump; 12-07-2017 at 02:54 AM.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tonald Drump For This Useful Post:

    Charles8088 (12-07-2017)

  6. #4
    BPnet Veteran Sauzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-26-2014
    Location
    Seattle Washington
    Posts
    3,958
    Thanks
    1,008
    Thanked 2,857 Times in 1,714 Posts

    Re: Reptichip vs. Reptile Prime for HUMIDITY

    Quote Originally Posted by Tonald Drump View Post
    l've never actually used any reptistuff before, but if you want a substrate that's good for keeping humidity, try cocopeat/cocofiber. It's pretty good at holding humidity, it's even better when mixed with other substrates, and in my experience it's pretty cheap. I buy it in bulk at my local gardener's store (because cocopeat/cocofiber also makes a great alternative to soil) for Rp 5,000/US$ 0.36 per kilogram, and it's been doing wonders for me by itself.

    Sent from my vivo 1601 using Tapatalk
    Both ReptiChips and Reptile Prime are coco substrate. One is just bigger chunks of husk while the other is more of a coffee ground consistency. I do agree though that gardening or home improvement stores tend to have it cheaper but you gotta be careful there isnt any added chemicals in it like dyes or insecticide.
    1.0 SD/D White Albino Tiger het snow Reticulated Python-Caesar
    0.1 High White Pied Ball Python-Dottie
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie
    1.0 Salmon het Snowglow BI-Rango

    0.1 Redgroup/Burke Lipstick Sunglow BI-Victoria
    0.1 Colombian BI-Rosey
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa-Luna

    0.1 Orange Starburst Bearded Dragon-Harley

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

    Charles8088 (12-07-2017)

  8. #5
    Registered User Charles8088's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-14-2017
    Posts
    185
    Thanks
    211
    Thanked 47 Times in 35 Posts

    Re: Reptichip vs. Reptile Prime for HUMIDITY

    Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Lol how do you have low humidity with ReptiChips? I had the opposite with that stuff. My cages would get so much condensation in them, you couldnt see anything and i literally had droplets of moisture forming on the roof of my cages...
    Exactly my point. Have no idea why it won't hold humidity. Maybe its me, the way I'm using it. Before I used it, it was all completely dry. I've opened and expanded the compressed bricks weeks before even getting the snake. So, it was in a tub drying out. This stuff was completely dry. So, when it came time to put it in the enclosure, I would wet it and mix it around in a smaller tub, then drop into the enclosure. I didn't soak it, just wet it a little. Figuring, that over time I'll mist it inside the enclosure to bring it up to what I'm happy with. So, I'd bring it up to about 60, and the next day it'd be down to high 40's. Spray again, bring it up, next day back down.

    Maybe I'm not putting a thick enough layer? I'm putting in only enough to cover the floor. Maybe a little deeper? Should I heavily soak the substrate, and then squeeze out all excess, and then place it in there? Not sure. Will play with it, of course. And, more than likely will also try the Reptile Prime.

    How do you prep it before using? How deep a layer?
    0.1.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Tynee)
    0.1.0 BEL Ball Python (Luna)
    0.0.6 Hermit Crabs <--- my son's

    WANT LIST
    - Russian Rat Snake
    - Woma Python
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Kenyan Sand Boa
    - Western Hognose
    - Rhino Rat Snake

  9. #6
    Registered User Tonald Drump's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-23-2017
    Posts
    135
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 23 Times in 18 Posts

    Re: Reptichip vs. Reptile Prime for HUMIDITY

    Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Both ReptiChips and Reptile Prime are coco substrate. One is just bigger chunks of husk while the other is more of a coffee ground consistency. I do agree though that gardening or home improvement stores tend to have it cheaper but you gotta be careful there isnt any added chemicals in it like dyes or insecticide.
    Yeah, the stuff I get has the consistency of dirt, the two main reasons I got it was it looks good and it holds humidity. Also, the added chemicals was one of the problems with cocofiber that I forgot to list down. Cocopeat/fiber is very popular as a hydroponic planting media where I live, so I have to be extra careful when looking for it. I suggest for OP to do the same.

    Sent from my vivo 1601 using Tapatalk

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tonald Drump For This Useful Post:

    Charles8088 (12-07-2017)

  11. #7
    BPnet Veteran Sauzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-26-2014
    Location
    Seattle Washington
    Posts
    3,958
    Thanks
    1,008
    Thanked 2,857 Times in 1,714 Posts

    Re: Reptichip vs. Reptile Prime for HUMIDITY

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles8088 View Post
    Exactly my point. Have no idea why it won't hold humidity. Maybe its me, the way I'm using it. Before I used it, it was all completely dry. I've opened and expanded the compressed bricks weeks before even getting the snake. So, it was in a tub drying out. This stuff was completely dry. So, when it came time to put it in the enclosure, I would wet it and mix it around in a smaller tub, then drop into the enclosure. I didn't soak it, just wet it a little. Figuring, that over time I'll mist it inside the enclosure to bring it up to what I'm happy with. So, I'd bring it up to about 60, and the next day it'd be down to high 40's. Spray again, bring it up, next day back down.

    Maybe I'm not putting a thick enough layer? I'm putting in only enough to cover the floor. Maybe a little deeper? Should I heavily soak the substrate, and then squeeze out all excess, and then place it in there? Not sure. Will play with it, of course. And, more than likely will also try the Reptile Prime.

    How do you prep it before using? How deep a layer?
    You need to soak some of it and then mix it up if that makes sense. Dont soak it all or else you will have a mess lol. The stuff absorbs LOTS of water and will transfer the humidity to itself. So if you have like half of it fairly wet and mix it up together with drier stuff, it will all even out. Once it dries out, you have to add a decent amount of water to get it back to moist. When i used it, i would just push the stuff into a big mountain and then pour a glass or two of water on it and stir it up and then spread it out again. Misting it really wont do much unless you are seriously misting it like crazy.

    And like you said, play with it. obviously just misting it wont work for your set up so try the soak and squeeze method. Try the method i suggested with half wet, half damp and mix it all up. When i mixed up batches of it, i would just throw a brick in a big tub and pour a few glasses of hot water on it and let it sit for 15 mins or so, then crumble it up. Then when i got to dry stuff, rinse and repeat with pouring more water glasses on it. The extra substrate i would just put the lid on the tub and put it next to my cage stacks. It stayed damp for weeks.
    1.0 SD/D White Albino Tiger het snow Reticulated Python-Caesar
    0.1 High White Pied Ball Python-Dottie
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie
    1.0 Salmon het Snowglow BI-Rango

    0.1 Redgroup/Burke Lipstick Sunglow BI-Victoria
    0.1 Colombian BI-Rosey
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa-Luna

    0.1 Orange Starburst Bearded Dragon-Harley

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

    Charles8088 (12-07-2017)

  13. #8
    BPnet Senior Member artgecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-07-2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,385
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 475 Times in 347 Posts
    Get a pitcher of water and pour some into the reptichip in different places in the terrarium. Then mix it up with your hands. I do this every week or two and my bedding holds good humidity. I use prococo, which is very similar to reptichip. Pouring some water and stirring up is much more effective with misting, as the water will sit below the bedding or inside and release humidity longer than just misting the top layer, which dries quickly.

    I also have issues with getting the reptichip too wet when I expand it. The last time, I had to sit it in a tub to dry for a few days before using it.. In the past, I've had so much moisture that I've left the sliding glass doors on my AP cages slightly ajar to let it escape.
    Currently keeping: 1.0 Boa constrictor amarali
    0.2 Kenyan sand boas 1.0 Hypo BCI 1.0 CA motley BCI
    1.0 Jaguar Capret 0.4 Ball Pythons
    0.2 crested geckos 1.0 Leachie
    1.1.1 gargoyle geckos 0.2 Rats 2.3 White's tree frogs
    0.0.2 Pacman frogs 1.0 Veiled chameleon

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

    Charles8088 (12-07-2017),Rodop (12-07-2017)

  15. #9
    Registered User Charles8088's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-14-2017
    Posts
    185
    Thanks
    211
    Thanked 47 Times in 35 Posts

    Re: Reptichip vs. Reptile Prime for HUMIDITY

    Quote Originally Posted by Tonald Drump View Post
    Yeah, the stuff I get has the consistency of dirt, the two main reasons I got it was it looks good and it holds humidity. Also, the added chemicals was one of the problems with cocofiber that I forgot to list down. Cocopeat/fiber is very popular as a hydroponic planting media where I live, so I have to be extra careful when looking for it. I suggest for OP to do the same.
    Thanks. I will look into that stuff as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    You need to soak some of it and then mix it up if that makes sense. Dont soak it all or else you will have a mess lol...
    Yep. I think I'm going to soak some of the stuff and leave some dry. And control the amount of humidity with "soak more or soak less". I never allowed the water to soak in. I would just hand mix before placing in the enclosure.

    Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    ...I also have issues with getting the reptichip too wet when I expand it. The last time, I had to sit it in a tub to dry for a few days before using it.. In the past, I've had so much moisture that I've left the sliding glass doors on my AP cages slightly ajar to let it escape.
    I think I remember reading your issue, with the Reptichip that was too wet. Yes, need to soak some, and do a bit at a time to make sure not to get too crazy.

    Thanks, everyone. Going to try all this, and hopefully get this world back in order!
    0.1.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Tynee)
    0.1.0 BEL Ball Python (Luna)
    0.0.6 Hermit Crabs <--- my son's

    WANT LIST
    - Russian Rat Snake
    - Woma Python
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Kenyan Sand Boa
    - Western Hognose
    - Rhino Rat Snake

  16. #10
    Registered User SiXandSeven8ths's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-03-2016
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    66
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts

    Re: Reptichip vs. Reptile Prime for HUMIDITY

    Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Lol how do you have low humidity with ReptiChips?
    I'll clue you in on why I have low humidity with it. (I don't know why people are so ignorant on this site...) I live in the South Dakota. It is December. The air gets very dry in the house. This is due to the cold, dry air outside (though at times it can be up to 60% humidity outside). But the outside temps and humidity isn't the problem. Its the inside. And when it is cold outside you run your furnace. That warm, dry air lowers the inside humidity considerably.

    When my T8s get cleaned and fresh substrate put in, they maintain good humidity for a while (about 2 weeks in the winter and 4-6 weeks in the summer). But the stuff will start to dry. Combining the RHP in the T8 with the ambient air quality you will end up with dry substrate.

    Not everyone uses heat tape. For me that stuff sucked. Did nothing for me. So consider that if someone uses a heat lamp or RHP, that heat will start to dry out your air and substrate. Not everyone lives in fracking Florida. Our homes aren't a constant 80+ degrees at 75% humidity. How anyone lives like that is beyond me. But because I don't I have to do different things to keep my snakes environment optimal.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SiXandSeven8ths For This Useful Post:

    Charles8088 (12-07-2017),Godzilla78 (12-07-2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1