Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,183

2 members and 3,181 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Need Exact Thawing Time Measurements

I've been thawing out my rats by just leaving them out in a bag for a few hours, but I'd like to switch to leaving them in hot water as my BP has trouble aiming and the heat should help (taking a hairdryer to one for a moment has worked before, but is a bit of hassle). Problem is I'm autistic and have a lot of trouble with "just leave it till it looks right" and vague measurements- so how long would I leave each size rat, and how hot should the water be? He's on rat fluffs for now, but is going to be moved to pups really soon.

Thanks

Re: Need Exact Thawing Time Measurements

Quote Originally Posted by mzh3de View Post
    I've been thawing out my rats by just leaving them out in a bag for a few hours, but I'd like to switch to leaving them in hot water as my BP has trouble aiming and the heat should help (taking a hairdryer to one for a moment has worked before, but is a bit of hassle). Problem is I'm autistic and have a lot of trouble with "just leave it till it looks right" and vague measurements- so how long would I leave each size rat, and how hot should the water be? He's on rat fluffs for now, but is going to be moved to pups really soon.
    Body temp of a rat is in the range of 100 degrees. I have no problem soaking in hot tap water, then I use a blow dryer and temp gun to bring it close anywhere between 90° to 100°

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thorbp View Post
    Body temp of a rat is in the range of 100 degrees. I have no problem soaking in hot tap water, then I use a blow dryer and temp gun to bring it close anywhere between 90° to 100°

I forgot to mention I bag them to soak.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 602 Posts
    I agree that an IR temperature gun will help to determine the actual temps of the rat. I like to let mine thaw out in the fridge for 24 hours (in a plastic bag), then let it sit on top of the cage for 30 minutes, then put hot water in a bowl and put the rat (still in bag) in the bowl until it reaches around 98F or a little higher.
    0.1 Red Axanthic P. regius | Mazikeen
    E. climacophora | Lan Fan
    C. paulsoni | Inej

Thanks

It's going to vary a bit, but if you really need something specific but don't mind a bit of arbitrariness, you could pick something overly generous with the thawing time. I.e. : rat pup or smaller - thaw in water 1 hr. Finish with hot water 100F+ for 3 min. Feed rat at 95F - 105F. That way it's absolutely guaranteed to be finished every time, even if it was really finished a decent bit earlier.

1.0 Pastel yellowbelly ball python -Pipsy
    2.0 Checkered garter snakes - Hazama & Relius
    1.0 Dumeril's boa - Bazil

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kcl For This Useful Post:

KevinK (12-05-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Thaw them over night (24 hours if you want exact measurements) in a refrigerator (most refrigerators are roughly 36 degrees F) then before feeding put them in a container containing the hottest your tap water will get and let it warm for 30 minutes. Halfway through that 30 minute time frame (that is at the 15 minute mark) drain and refill the container with again, the hottest your tap water will get. This will get the rodent to the desired temperature.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    Thaw them over night (24 hours if you want exact measurements) in a refrigerator (most refrigerators are roughly 36 degrees F) then before feeding put them in a container containing the hottest your tap water will get and let it warm for 30 minutes. Halfway through that 30 minute time frame (that is at the 15 minute mark) drain and refill the container with again, the hottest your tap water will get. This will get the rodent to the desired temperature.
    Just want to exercise some caution with using the hottest water right away because it's not unknown for some feeders to rupture. Or having them susceptible to bursting when constricted. Had it happen to me when I was thawing a feeder in super hot water, came back to find all the rat's guts where spilled out. Thankfully it was in a ziploc baggie and all contained :p

So it may be better to start thawing in room temp or cooler water before replacing with warm/hot. Otherwise you may end up with a super mushy feeder.
    Last edited by MissterDog; 12-05-2017 at 02:41 PM.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

awolter (12-07-2017),ckuhn003 (12-05-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    So it may be better to start thawing in room temp or cooler water before replacing with warm/hot. Otherwise you may end up with a super mushy feeder.

That is why I suggested actually thawing in the refrigerator. You are not thawing them in a hot water bath, you are warming them up via heat transfer in a hot water bath. Hot water tanks are recommenced to 120 degrees so that is not enough to burst a thawed rodent that is not already degraded.

So, if you live in a household that someone has modified unsafely the hot water heater to be above 120 degrees, get a candy thermometer or some other water resistant thermometer and test it. If it is above 120 degrees F, cool it to 120 before submersing the rodent.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks

Also, thaw mine in hot tap water, then I lay them out and use a spare basking light I have from my beardies, place em all under the hotspot about 12" away. Bout 30 mins of that, since I do that right in my snake room and everyone is ready to eat since the smell gets in the air.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

0.1 75% Kalatoa 12.5% Jampea Super Dwarf Retic - Enyo
    0.1 62.5% Purple Phase Jampea - Eris
    1.0 Platron Sunfire Mainland - Hades
    0.1 Albino Suntiger - Xena
    0.1 Platinum Citron Sunfire Albino - Aphrodite

"Animals are not property or things but rather living organisms, subjects of a life, who are worthy of our compassion, respect, friendship and support."

Thanks

I would be a single man very quickly if a rat ever found it's way into our refrigerator, so I have used the warm water method for years.

I use hot tap water to thaw my rats to the point where I know they're pliable and not frozen in any fashion, they can be then fed directly if they're pups or small rats.

If they are medium/large rats (where the frozen rodent actually cools down the water)......then after thawing in the initial hot water bath, I will drain the water and let them sit in hot tap water again 15 minutes as well before feeding. I have never had one burst in many, many years of keeping snakes and I hope I don't have to (keep in mind my tap water isn't steaming when it's coming out of the faucet though, but you can barely keep your hands under it for more than a few seconds)

Everyone has their own method though, I think most larger breeders actually take a slightly different, but similar approach...

(BHB does this)......thaw all rodents in cold water (5 gallon pails), drain, then refill with hot water and feed.
    Last edited by KevinK; 12-05-2017 at 03:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast