Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,931

0 members and 2,931 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Hybrid View

Thanks

Most economical way to heat a 40 gal?

Hi everyone,

I currently have a medium size UTH that runs 24/7 and a 100 Watt only running during the day. I'm trying to find out the most efficient way to heat up a 40 gallon tank (it's been a nightmare, wish I would have gotten a tub) with the least impact on my energy bill.

My goal is to remove the heating lamp completely, as this seems to draw the most power.

Right now my UTH is set at 90degrees on the left side of the tank. So would using a UTH as a replacement to a lamp work if I place the second UTH in the middle of the tank. Note, my home is set at 77degrees.

If so, what should I set the second UTH to?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    hi!

efficiency-wise, an RHP (radiant heat panel) is the way to go. however, i've only ever seen one user have an RHP mounted to a glass enclosure (@MrSully). there's a thread around here somewhere about this...i'll try to find it. EDIT: found the thread!

you could also consider heating the room, but for one snake that is very impractical.

a second UTH will not help much as they only provide belly heat. if you have no other options, you could use 2 UTHs and have the second one set to ~82° F EDIT 2: but this will not raise your ambient (air) temperatures to an appropriate temp. ambient temps should never drop below 75° F and should stay around ~80° F.

(your avatar is adorable!!!)
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 12-06-2017 at 02:30 PM. Reason: link, more info
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

BPnet Veteran BallPythonWannaBe's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Most economical way to heat a 40 gal?

Gonna jack the thread for a moment-on the thread @tttaylorr linked @MrSully said they just set the ProProducts RHP on top of the tank?? I'd really like to have my Beep in a tank but need to raise ambient temps so this thread is already extreamly helpful
    "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live"
    -J.K Rowling Sorcerer's Stone
    Long time no see, back at it again in my white vans.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BallPythonWannaBe View Post
    Gonna jack the thread for a moment-on the thread @tttaylorr linked @MrSully said they just set the ProProducts RHP on top of the tank?? I'd really like to have my Beep in a tank but need to raise ambient temps so this thread is already extreamly helpful
    i have no idea how @MrSully did it (paging @MrSully...@MrSully...) i'm also unfamiliar with ProProduct RHPs so i can't even venture a guess. hopefully others will chime in with more info.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

I have a Pro Panel ontop of my quarantine 33 long. It works fine with the other side covered with plexyglass to hold the heat . It's not air tight at all so there's definitely enough circulation My hot side steady at 91 and cool 78-80. The reptile basics RHP are not flat like the pro panels so I can't comment about those. My pro panel is 12" wide so it works perfect. Never bothered the screen or anything else. I would definitely go with the pro panel an extra $20 is nothing for top quality. Also there's no plastic smell when it heats up because pro panels are aluminum. It is all around a better product And safer.
    (Also mine just sits on the screen and i remove it before i take the Zilla Screened lid off to clean or take snake out)
    From @MrSully

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    hi!

efficiency-wise, an RHP (radiant heat panel) is the way to go. however, i've only ever seen one user have an RHP mounted to a glass enclosure (@MrSully). there's a thread around here somewhere about this...i'll try to find it. EDIT: found the thread!

you could also consider heating the room, but for one snake that is very impractical.

a second UTH will not help much as they only provide belly heat. if you have no other options, you could use 2 UTHs and have the second one set to ~82° F EDIT 2: but this will not raise your ambient (air) temperatures to an appropriate temp. ambient temps should never drop below 75° F and should stay around ~80° F.

(your avatar is adorable!!!)

Hmm.. The RHP would definitely be an investment ($200ish from a quick google). I'll keep it in my back pocket while I keep researching.

Haha yeahh, I already have the heater on for Decimus higher than I usually would. I live in a studio so it's literally my whole home.

Good point on the second UTH! Thanks for the advice.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by airkempo View Post
    Hmm.. The RHP would definitely be an investment ($200ish from a quick google). I'll keep it in my back pocket while I keep researching.

Haha yeahh, I already have the heater on for Decimus higher than I usually would. I live in a studio so it's literally my whole home.

Good point on the second UTH! Thanks for the advice.
    Where are you looking at RHP's? Even an 80 watt is only about $86 at most places.

Thanks

In post #28 of that thread I describe how we mounted (Reptile Basics) RHPs to the insides of two Exo-Terra screen topped enclosures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Prognathodon View Post
    In post #28 of that thread I describe how we mounted (Reptile Basics) RHPs to the insides of two Exo-Terra screen topped enclosures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    I had seen that and it was very helpful but I'd rather just buy a PVC cage because Exo-Terras are the same price