Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,893

2 members and 2,891 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Brazilian Rainbow Boa????

So, I've got the green light to get another snake in January....and as the title states, I'm curious about BRBs.
    First, a little back story: so I used to keep snakes years ago, but for personal reasons got out of the hobby. But, I never had any boas. My experience to this point is limited to BPs, Kings, corns and now a hognose. Well, a while back my girlfriend gave me the ok to get ONE snake (hahahahhaahhahahahaha) which was amazing since she WAS afraid of snakes until I begged her to get close enough to touch one. So then she said ONE more, but her stipulations were basically the snake had to be shorter than she is tall (barely 5 ft). So, to this point I've stuck to a King, hognose and a BP.
    Well, as she has grown more comfortable around snakes, she says I can go bigger, but not BIG. So, BRBs have come into question.
    Well, what are your thoughts and experiences with Brazilian Rainbow Boas???
    Sorry to be long winded, but I'm obviously doing plenty of research on my own, and that includes feedback from our awesome members on the forum.
    So, please share any thoughts. Thanks all!!!

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (12-06-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: Brazilian Rainbow Boa????

Fabulous !!!

Damn near perfect to be honest . There's more than one theory around as regards their upkeep but if you do adequate research you will be fine .,

Will you go for a tiny hatchling , a yearling or an adult ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-06-2017)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Fabulous !!!

Damn near perfect to be honest . There's more than one theory around as regards their upkeep but if you do adequate research you will be fine .,

Will you go for a tiny hatchling , a yearling or an adult ??

Thanks Zinc! Yeah, I've almost got my mind made up, but some more homework and member feedback is in order before I go for it.
    I'm thinking hatching to yearling. I want to watch this baby grow.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Pm sent...
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Thanks

For what it's worth ... I had mine in glass vivs which enabled me to keep them in humid conditions - the general consensus seems to be that hatchling to yearlings need a fair amount of humidity but as they get to adults the humidity isn't as vital BUT I set mine up with a normal side and a more humid side and the adults never went near the normal side spending 100% of time on the humid side .
    I ended up using a base mixture of Eco-earth and Orchid bark kept it 'damp' AND then I placed a nice lush layer of moss ( with roots) over the whole surface . Added a few branches and it looked wondrous. I have some photos on an old hard drive somewhere ..

Anyways they were always super healthy and very placid with a great appetite . They used to sleep under the moss during the day and climb and explore the viv in the evenings.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I have one female BRB, a juvie (about 4.5' long at this point). The young need very humid conditions (close to 100%) and are usually best kept in a tub setup to achieve that and on a humid substrate. As they grow, they can tolerate less (around 75% ish is talked about a lot). The can and do climb, but also hide a lot (especially during the day). Mine is currently in a rack setup, but I've got her 4'x2'x15" AP cage waiting to be set up. I will be offering her a basking shelf and a couple branches to climb on also, in addition to your typical hides and water bowl.

IMO, it is very important to purchase from a good breeder. BRBs are known to be a little more sensitive to medications (i.e. PAM) and as such, trying to start off with a healthy one is very important. Rainbows R Us has a great reputation btw, if you're shopping for a breeder.

I'd suggest a size-appropriate tub setup with ventilation, a good layer of substrate like cochusk, coir, organic soil, etc. and a water bowl big enough to soak in if needed. Some fake plants to provide additional cover would also be appreciated. Temps need to be lower than BPs, I keep my hot spot at about 85f and cool end of the tub is around 76f. My girls spends most of her time on the cool side unless digesting. I add some water to my substrate a couple times a week to keep the humidity up (I just pour about 1/2 cup water into a few different areas in the substrate vs. misting). Although they like high humidity, they don't need to actual substrate to be wet.

Note that some rainbows can be very defensive as babies and some never tame out. Mine has been a dream and was easily handled even at a young age, so I'm assuming I got lucky. Mine has a good appetite, so no complaints there.

Rainbows R Us has a great reputation btw, if you're shopping for a breeder... I will probably try to get a high red male from them to go with my female in a few years and they have some striking morphs as well as line bred animals at very fair prices IMO.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (12-07-2017),Craiga 01453 (12-06-2017),Zincubus (12-06-2017)

Thanks

As above ..

I'm also looking out for a hypo high red or Hypo high orange but they cost around FIVE times as much as the normals in the uk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanks all!!!!

Thanks

I'd you haven't already ... check out the thread on BRB progression.... there's about 80 photos in there .

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-07-2017)

Thanks
    Wanted to add one more thing... They do go through a dramatic color change and don't usually look "stunning" as babies. That said, you can tell a difference when you have several to compare from. This is why it is crucial to get with a good breeder that has pics of the adult pair. Picking a baby with the least dark tones will generally mean a lighter adult.

My girl came from an expo. There were several siblings from the same clutch available and she was markedly brighter than the others. She has turned out to be a pretty good looking adult BRB, but nothing like a high red or high orange line-bred animal.

Zincubus is right that the hypos look very cool too... I'm not sure if they are as iridescent as the normals though.

There is a good BRB group on FB that I'm a member of. The breeder of Rainbows R Us often posts on it as well as other well-known breeders. You might want to try there if you decide to start shopping.

Here are a couple pics of my female taken about 5 months ago. She has gotten a bit darker than this now, but still has excellent color. I'm really loving the contrast between the oranges / red and the purplish tones on her sides.

Last edited by artgecko; 12-07-2017 at 08:12 AM.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-07-2017),Prognathodon (12-07-2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast