Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,196

2 members and 3,194 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts

Re: Need Exact Thawing Time Measurements

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    I would be a single man very quickly if a rat ever found it's way into our refrigerator
    LOL I'm a married woman and the bottom two shelves of my mud room refrigerator are dedicated to thawing feeders. Rabbits can take days since bunny fur is a great insulator.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

KevinK (12-05-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    LOL I'm a married woman and the bottom two shelves of my mud room refrigerator are dedicated to thawing feeders. Rabbits can take days since bunny fur is a great insulator.

I've often wondered why I don't have a separate freezer/refrigerator in the garage, just for venison and beer and such.....maybe I'll have to start browsing Craigslist. I keep my rodents in our normal freezer but believe me....it's a process to do so as the Mrs. doesn't want to see them in any fashion. You've never seen so many plastic/paper bags wrapped and tied around frozen feeders before in your life.
    Last edited by KevinK; 12-05-2017 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    That is why I suggested actually thawing in the refrigerator. You are not thawing them in a hot water bath, you are warming them up via heat transfer in a hot water bath. Hot water tanks are recommenced to 120 degrees so that is not enough to burst a thawed rodent that is not already degraded.

So, if you live in a household that someone has modified unsafely the hot water heater to be above 120 degrees, get a candy thermometer or some other water resistant thermometer and test it. If it is above 120 degrees F, cool it to 120 before submersing the rodent.
    I was replying with pre-thawing in the fridge in mind. So that was probably a terminology error in my part by referring to heating feeders in hot water as "thawing" instead of "heating" in my response to your suggestion. So my bad there!

Heck the incident I mentioned I had also thawed my feeder overnight in the fridge for a solid 20-24 hours and it still burst open when I put it in hot tap water to sit in (I doubt it was over 120).

Maybe I was just one of the few unlucky ones and it was a fluke since I've been using the thaw in fridge then hot water method before with no explosions, but it was unpleasant enough that I decided to start with cooler/warm then hot water and never had a problem since.

In the end entirely up to OP. I've also seen people use hot water without any issues (and there are already examples here) while others had problems with hot water off the bat. Not too uncommon but not gaurentee to happen either. It's just one of those possibilities that I figured OP should keep in mind so they don't get any nasty surprises in case it does happen :p

Last edited by MissterDog; 12-05-2017 at 03:55 PM.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts

Double post
    Last edited by MissterDog; 12-05-2017 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Double posted bc mobile is the devil
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    I thaw in warm water, just enough that I can run my hands under it comfortably and not feel like I'm going to get burned. I also warm the rats up at that temp right before offering (I offer my rats warm and wet LOL).

There's no sure time for how long to thaw, it depends on how cold your freezer is, how cold your fridge is (if you thaw in the fridge), how cold the air temp is, etc...

The way I do it to know for sure is to squeeze the thawed rat's skull between my fingers for awhile. I also do that for the torso/ribcage. If there's a cold feeling coming through, it means it's not thawed yet. If it is entirely warm, it's thawed.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 12-05-2017 at 05:11 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (12-05-2017)

Thanks

Thanks guys, this was all super helpful- but it turns out I might not need to anymore. Very recently the BP has become an incredibly aggressive eater- I had to feed him inside the viv for the first time today bc trying to take him out would have ended in me being bitten (I guess the warm wiggling fingers look a lot more appetising than a stinky rat )

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I just take whatever I need out, in a ziploc bag, leave it for anywhere from 30 mins to a hour or two, just depending on what it is. Then I run hot water in a yeti type cup and put the ziploc bag in there and put the top on. I bought it for this exact reason because the water stays hot.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    Fresh killed with CO2 is the easiest for me, always at the perfect temp in about three minutes LOL. When I do frozen thawed I'll defrost my rodents in a fridge overnight, it's a separate smaller fridge just for defrosting rodents. Then I'll put them in an incubator at 110F and check them with an IR gun until they are over 100F. For jumbo rats I'll skip the fridge and leave them out at room temp in a cool basement before going into the incubator. Small rodents are ready to feed much faster, big ones take longer. I'll also feel the bigger ones to make sure they are not frozen solid on the inside before going into the incubator. Getting rodents wet before feeding really turns me off, I prefer to keep them dry the entire time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12