Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,829

2 members and 2,827 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Let humidity drop to 10-20% and only bump it to 50-60% when about to shed (succes

Quote Originally Posted by SaucyMeatMan View Post
    This has to be a troll. No one could possibly be this negligent.
    Oh no doubt! No more food from me.

Thanks

Re: Let humidity drop to 10-20% and only bump it to 50-60% when about to shed (succes

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    I'm sorry but I don't get the bashing on Brian, he's a really nice guy and takes wonderful care of his animals. I've known him for a long time (although we don't talk directly any longer now that the local bay area CA reptile people don't all hang out on KS). I don't agree with him that snakes *have* to have belly heat but it's one of those things - different things work for different people. I guess there's something going on I'm not aware of? I just felt is was uncalled for.
    And yes we average 50%+ natural humidity here in the Bay Area.

back to the OP - When I lived in Las Vegas for a few years, I had horrible humidity issues and lost my two GTPs and a baby BRB because of it. Almost lost one of my ATBs. My other boas, ATBs and adult BRB were okay in the long run but it was a constant struggle. I ended up having to mist every other day as well as keep a fish tank in the snake room to keep humidity up (didn't have a humidifier but if I still lived there, I would have got one). I'd still get bad sheds from time to time.
    So yes, they can handle it, especially somewhat hardier species, but I wouldn't recommend it and it may cause issues in the long run. Please be careful.
    Speaking of belly heat. Since I started heating my room. I find she stays in the cool hide now 90 percent of the time. She’s about 2 days out from shed. Just ate and went back to cool hide. Bin temps staying right on 83. Heat pad side always at 91.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    0.1 Female Normal
    0.1 Lab mix

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Newbie39 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (12-06-2017)

Thanks

10-20%?! That’s lower than the Sahara! Not even Desert species like Leopard Geckos or Bearded Dragons should have THAT low of Humidity! If you find that misting your snakes is too hard an endeavor to keep your animals healthy then DONT HAVE THEM!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JustinGatCat For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (12-07-2017)

Thanks

I didn't have an hygrometer so I assumed humidity was the same outside and inside. It's sitting at 25-30% now and I'll follow Brian's advice until I see any problem.

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    His advise doesn't directly apply to your situation because your default ambient humidity is much lower than what he deals with.
    For the Horde!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (12-07-2017),RickyNY (01-30-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    I have said this before and I will say it again... just because you can do something does not mean you should.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    Cool, so having everyone tell you it's a bad idea isn't raising any flags? Not a single one? I guess it's hard to choose proper husbandry over convenience. Good luck to you then.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

Thanks

What exactly is the evidence that it is harming the animals? I've noticed no side effects whatsoever.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by leocrespo View Post
    What exactly is the evidence that it is harming the animals? I've noticed no side effects whatsoever.
    I don't have a lot of experience with tropical snakes save the single royal python I have and for the two snake species (including the royal) I've kept and in both tortoises species that I have kept humidity and water supply has proven to be critical to health.

I have never seen issues with reptiles that have proper humidity and temperatures, my male royal after me fiddling with humidity and temps has gone from 230grams to 1.1kg in a year. Even temperate species will grow and thrive in appropriate temps, I got my three Mediterranean spur thighed tortoises to gain 10% of their end of summer body weight in 3 months despite the fact that they would have been hibernating during that time period if I had of let them.

Correct temperatures and humidity is critical to maintain good health of a reptile and it also ensures they reach their full growth potential. I have seen this in multiple species of reptile.

Thanks

I keep my humidity around 80% for my GTP but that's because I notice side effects if they're not high all the time (i.e. they stop eating). What I am noticing with BP is that they only need high humidity during shed and all things being equal a dryer cage is more sanitary and easier to maintain. I am willing to go back to a constant high humidity if I see any problems of if read any evidence.
    Last edited by leocrespo; 12-07-2017 at 07:29 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast