Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,853

1 members and 2,852 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice please?

Thanks

Advice please?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post..
    but I really need answers.. My boy was born around august 2016. He has always been a good eater. We have this routine where I put him in his little feeding box and he takes it with ease... my problem is that he no longer has an interest in food. I've tried putting the food in his cage, etc which did work for about 2 weeks but then it is like he has lost an interest in it completely.. His body weight looks good, he is acting like his normal self though I guess it is freaking me out a bit that he has gone almost 2 months without food. I have tried literally everything.... I have made an appointment with the vet wednesday just to be on the safe side, but I know this is probably a stupid question, but is this normal for a male ball python? I understand snakes have a different feeding schedule but this is flipping me out a bit...

Thanks
    2 months is nothing for a male..

Yes, this is normal. As long as he isn't loosing a lot of weight and your husbandry is on point, it's fine. He'll eat when he wants to. Offer every 2 weeks.
    1.0- Pastel het Pied- Khaa

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PythonBabes For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (12-04-2017)

Thanks
    ***No, Im sorry it has been OVER two months...and I have even tried smaller rodents to see if he was interested...and he still has nothing to do with it

Thanks

Re: Advice please?

a little over two months * I guess it is just alarming me because we went from typical feeding to...nothing at all..

Thanks

A lot of BPs tend to go off feed as he colder months come along. As long as he's still healthy, it shouldn't be an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Normal BP "Calliope"
    0.1 Hypo Leopard Gecko “El”
    1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko “Axle”
    0.0.1 Poecilotheria Regalis
    0.0.1 Poecilotheri Subfusca
    1.0 Siamese mix cat “Kurt”
    1.0 DLH Cat “Vodka”
    0.0.1 Suriname Red Tail Boa

"I’m just more comfortable with fauna and flora than with other humans."

Thanks
    Thank you for the fast replies. It really does put me at ease. This situation is something that I did figure may happen but i still worried about..
    I would post updated pics of my boy but I can't quite figure it out yet XD

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MutterBuffin View Post
    Thank you for the fast replies. It really does put me at ease. This situation is something that I did figure may happen but i still worried about..
    I would post updated pics of my boy but I can't quite figure it out yet XD
    For uploading photos many of use the free forum app TapaTalk which has a free , one click photo upload option built in .

As regards the feeding / non feeding aspect it looks as though the others have already covered everything ..

I would suggest trying the 'hairdryer' method and I've sent you the details by PM ... if works maybe try offering every 10 to 14 days after that rather than weekly ( the guy above as already mentioned that ) .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    Over the winter mature males often go off of food because they're more interested in finding a lady friend than in eating. I had one fast for eight months. Two months is nothing.

Also once he does start feeding again don't offer again for another 2-3 weeks, weekly feedings may be too often for him if he is refusing.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-04-2017)

Registered User Slytherin's Mommy's Avatar
    Thanks

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post..
    but I really need answers.. My boy was born around august 2016. He has always been a good eater. We have this routine where I put him in his little feeding box and he takes it with ease... my problem is that he no longer has an interest in food. I've tried putting the food in his cage, etc which did work for about 2 weeks but then it is like he has lost an interest in it completely.. His body weight looks good, he is acting like his normal self though I guess it is freaking me out a bit that he has gone almost 2 months without food. I have tried literally everything.... I have made an appointment with the vet wednesday just to be on the safe side, but I know this is probably a stupid question, but is this normal for a male ball python? I understand snakes have a different feeding schedule but this is flipping me out a bit...
    I have been told it's a beep thing - my 2 year old has not feed since July and she has only lost a half of a pound - don't know what that is in grams.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

a little over two months * I guess it is just alarming me because we went from typical feeding to...nothing at all..
    beeps have been known to hit the proverbial "wall" when it comes to eating and weight gain. once the snake reaches a certain size (typically ~1000g) it's a known phenomenon for beeps to go off feed. my male hit his wall at ~700g over a year or so ago, and it's been a slow and steady climb to his current 900g+ weight.

this is typical and nothing too concerning. offer every 2 weeks from now on until you start getting a consistant acceptance of food.

Quote Originally Posted by Slytherin's Mommy View Post
    I have been told it's a beep thing - my 2 year old has not feed since July and she has only lost a half of a pound - don't know what that is in grams.
    226.796 grams
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast