Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,282

1 members and 3,281 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Should I be worried?

Our pastel banana boi is an August 2017 hatchling. We took him home in October at 129 grams eating f/t small hopper mice. Since hitting 180 grams three weeks ago, he's been eating 30 gram f/t rat pups. His last weight before a shed and poop was 219 grams.

Originally, we (meaning my daughter) heated our mice with a hair dryer. When we switched to rats, we switched to warming in hot water. My own sense is that with larger prey, hot water offers a more uniform heat (also less smell). After 20-30 minutes under hot tap water our rats reach approximately 90 degrees. We then give them a minute or two under real hot water to bring them to 100 degrees and then we feed. We always use a heat gun to measure the temp of our prey before feeding.

So far so good.
    Last edited by larryd23; 12-03-2017 at 03:58 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to larryd23 For This Useful Post:

B.P.'s 4me (12-03-2017)

Thanks

Thank you Godzilla, have done that, last accepted prey size was 20 grams, she later rejected 22 gm. meal so I waited a week and tried 16 gms. yesterday, which was also rejected.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aerries View Post
    My girl I️ feel is so small almost same hatch date the 15th of Aug and empty weight at 100g...maybe I️ should up her to med mouse....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Size may not be anything to worry about as I think there can be quite a size disparity in hatch sizes in ball pythons. My girl "Franny" may have been larger than yours right out of the egg. What weight is the meal that you're feeding? I understand that an adequate meal size is 10 % the weight of the animal. Thus, if your b.p. weighs 100 gms, she could take a 10 gm. mouse. If I'm wrong, perhaps somebody can correct me, but this is what I understand to be the case.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by larryd23 View Post
    Our pastel banana boi is an August 2017 hatchling. We took him home in October at 129 grams eating f/t small hopper mice. Since hitting 180 grams three weeks ago, he's been eating 30 gram f/t rat pups. His last weight before a shed and poop was 219 grams.

Originally, we (meaning my daughter) heated our mice with a hair dryer. When we switched to rats, we switched to warming in hot water. My own sense is that with larger prey, hot water offers a more uniform heat (also less smell). After 20-30 minutes under hot tap water our rats reach approximately 90 degrees. We then give them a minute or two under real hot water to bring them to 100 degrees and then we feed. We always use a heat gun to measure the temp of our prey before feeding.

So far so good.
    Holy Smokes!!! He's 129 grms and eating 30 gm. rat pups!!!!! And I was so afraid I'd do my girl. (224 gms) irreparable damage in feeding her anything over 20 gms. LOL Where do I go to pick up my official "Nervous Nellie" award.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by B.P.'s 4me View Post
    Holy Smokes!!! He's 129 grms and eating 30 gm. rat pups!!!!! And I was so afraid I'd do my girl. (224 gms) irreparable damage in feeding her anything over 20 gms. LOL Where do I go to pick up my official "Nervous Nellie" award.
    My post may not have been clear... he was 129 grams when we got him and he was 180 grams when we started feeding rat pups. He's now had three rat pup feedings and is currently just under your girls weight.

We are new to BPs so consider this one person's experience. I'll leave the advice for those that truly know about these things.

For the most part, we've followed the feeding guidelines we found on BP.NET: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ing-Guidelines

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by B.P.'s 4me View Post
    I've done that. My 4 month old baby ball python just stuffed down a small adult rat! I didn't weigh either of them, but the rat was maybe 25% of the snake's weight. Chuck had no problem with it at all. Python species in general are notorious for eating monster meals in the wild. This is not something I would normally feed, it was just a leftover rat one of my adults rejected, and chuck was really hungry! I know most forum members will think I am evil, but it was impressive.

Last edited by Godzilla78; 12-03-2017 at 08:09 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Hot spot is to cool. 85 to 88 degrees is not warm enough, esp. if the snake is trying to digest a large meal.

And where do you measure your hot spot ? Directly above the heat tape (as you should) ? Or on top of the substrate?

She could be used to less substrate (when you had her on paper) and was closer to the heat then, than she is now.

Make sure the heat is at least 90, up to 92, right above the heat (under substrate) and then make sure the substrate isn't to thick, so she doesn't have to burrow down to much to get warm.

If the heat was on your lower range of 85 , possibly less on top of substrate, it wasn't in the safe range for digesting a large meal..
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

hollowlaughter (12-04-2017)

Thanks
    Yep, make sure the hot spot she can access is 90F. She may not have been able to digest the meal yet.

Otherwise, as is being said, the prey temp is important. Essentially, your animal is striking while its hot (100F) but by the time they get to actually eating it, it's not "noticeable" due to scent being washed away if water thawed (stinky is better, even if we humans don't like it) and they "see" with their heat pits, meaning cool prey may not be recognized as prey within the heat field of their enclosure. Imagine it's like trying to find a salad someone left for you in a dark room with no hint as to where they put it. Silly thought, but the same really. Make sure the food is hot enough to stick out.

Try warming the prey til its warm to the touch, especially focusing on the head. Then offer as usual.
    Last edited by hollowlaughter; 12-04-2017 at 05:11 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to hollowlaughter For This Useful Post:

B.P.'s 4me (12-04-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by larryd23 View Post
    My post may not have been clear... he was 129 grams when we got him and he was 180 grams when we started feeding rat pups. He's now had three rat pup feedings and is currently just under your girls weight.

We are new to BPs so consider this one person's experience. I'll leave the advice for those that truly know about these things.

For the most part, we've followed the feeding guidelines we found on BP.NET: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ing-Guidelines
    O.k. gotcha, sorry for the misunderstanding. :-) and thank you for sharing your experience and for the link.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to B.P.'s 4me For This Useful Post:

larryd23 (12-04-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    Hot spot is to cool. 85 to 88 degrees is not warm enough, esp. if the snake is trying to digest a large meal.

And where do you measure your hot spot ? Directly above the heat tape (as you should) ? Or on top of the substrate?

She could be used to less substrate (when you had her on paper) and was closer to the heat then, than she is now.

Make sure the heat is at least 90, up to 92, right above the heat (under substrate) and then make sure the substrate isn't to thick, so she doesn't have to burrow down to much to get warm.

If the heat was on your lower range of 85 , possibly less on top of substrate, it wasn't in the safe range for digesting a large meal..
    Thank you, I put her back on newspaper yesterday and increased her heat a bit. I was measuring temp. on top of the substrate as I thought that was the surface she was using, but understand your point. Thank you for your advice. :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12