Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,121

0 members and 3,121 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Normal hognose behavior?

Quote Originally Posted by MmmBanana View Post
    Thank you so much for the help Deborah! How do I scent with a hard boiled egg? Just rub the pinky on it? Lol sorry, it seems like such an awkward question.

Also, is there a best time of day to feed a hognose? Should I wait till she is out and about and active to offer her food?
    There is no best time but I tend to feed in the evening so I can leave the prey overnight and retrieve in the AM.

When I use hard boiled egg I just crush it put it in a baggy and put the mouse in it make sure it rubbed and sometime coated. I usually keep it in the freezer after that so I can reuse it instead of boiling an egg every week.

Same things with other scents, I keep those juices in little jars in my freezer.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    No luck with egg or tuna scenting. Next up is vienna sausages.

Thanks

I broke down and ordered reptilinks for her Incase she keeps refusing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I broke down and ordered reptilinks for her Incase she keeps refusing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    She may or may not take it, who knows, if everything has failed and this fails too your next option is mix scents and then assist feed mice tails, which is not easy but sometimes needs to be done.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Do you have any advice/directions on how to assist feed a hognose? Same as a BP? Just GENTLY get the meal item in their mouth till they get their teeth into it, and then hope they go from there?

I understand she might turn down the reptilinks, I just figured it was worth a shot at this point.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Do you have any advice/directions on how to assist feed a hognose? Same as a BP? Just GENTLY get the meal item in their mouth till they get their teeth into it, and then hope they go from there?

I understand she might turn down the reptilinks, I just figured it was worth a shot at this point.
    Assisting is definitely a little trickier with hognose with BP you use the head of the mouse and place your finger a certain way to help open the mouth in this case you need to use the end of the mouse tail and push it to try to open the mouth which is not easy since it's not Regis, not an easy task definitely will require a little more time.

Have you consulted with the breeder who sold you the animal?
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    We did contact her breeder. He never got back to us. Seems like he may be a questionable guy. But anyways...... after almost 2 months of just leaving her be and offering her food once a week, she finally ate! She ate 3 micro reptilinks last Wednesday. I hope this means she will begin eating regularly for us now. Fingers crossed!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MmmBanana For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-28-2018)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

We did contact her breeder. He never got back to us. Seems like he may be a questionable guy. But anyways...... after almost 2 months of just leaving her be and offering her food once a week, she finally ate! She ate 3 micro reptilinks last Wednesday. I hope this means she will begin eating regularly for us now. Fingers crossed!
    Sorry to hear the breeder is no help, but glad she is eating, sometimes they do need the time once they transition, now the next step will likely be for you to actually use one of those link to start scenting her preys.

I would still give her a few feeding with those, and then use once to scent a pinky (leave it overnight) and see what happen, if nothing happen do not offer any food, wait 5 days offer another scented pinky overnight, if that one is uneaten then offer a link and repeat the process until she take scented and then same process when you do unscented.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    I actually ordered a small bottle of frog juice from reptilinks. I was counting on having to scent to get her back onto rodents after feeding her frog sausage.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123