Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,838

0 members and 1,838 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: The Burm Has Landed!

My Burm is a similar size to yours and some say she's small but growing slow and steady is better imo.

I've seen some videos of people ramming chicken bits and ribs down a Burms throat following a rat just to get the poor snake to grow fast which is crazy.

Admittedly I've been obsessing a bit myself but I think he'll be fine with a bigger size as long as it's only one prey item no more than once a week. I read somewhere they can eat something 5 times bigger than their head.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Valyrian; 05-07-2018 at 06:13 AM.
    0.1 CB17 Pearl Burmese Python - Kaiju

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Valyrian For This Useful Post:

dkatz4 (06-02-2018)

Thanks

For the record, my male Burm (Dexter) is going through the SAME exact phase right now in terms of not eating and has for about a month and a half. He is on small rats and has eaten them before a couple times, now he just slithers up to them quickly like he wants to eat them and backs off. So I'll make the rat dance for about a half hour with no luck, leave it in the cage, and almost every time I wake up in the morning to the rat still being there. I've tried the hairdryer trick as well as the tuna scenting trick with no results.

In summary you had your best results with a strip of mouse fur on the rat you're feeding? I'm getting desperate for results.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KevinK For This Useful Post:

dkatz4 (06-02-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    For the record, my male Burm (Dexter) is going through the SAME exact phase right now in terms of not eating and has for about a month and a half. He is on small rats and has eaten them before a couple times, now he just slithers up to them quickly like he wants to eat them and backs off. So I'll make the rat dance for about a half hour with no luck, leave it in the cage, and almost every time I wake up in the morning to the rat still being there. I've tried the hairdryer trick as well as the tuna scenting trick with no results.

In summary you had your best results with a strip of mouse fur on the rat you're feeding? I'm getting desperate for results.
    Sorry I didn’t check the site for a long time so I just read this. Yes, my “Buffalo Bill” method worked perfectly not only for me but for A few other people I told about it who were also having issues, One guy was switching from mice tonrats and one woman was switching from rats to rabbits, the strip of hide method worked in both cases. Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by dkatz4; 06-02-2018 at 01:07 AM.
    1.0 Central American BI: Irwin
    0.1 Jungle, het snow BI: Gimel
    1.0 green albino, het granite Burm: Dr. Waffles
    1.0 Betta fish: Convertible
    1.1 cats: Tipitina (Tipi) and Professor Longhair (Fess)
    0.1 Egyptian baladi dog: Toasty

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dkatz4 For This Useful Post:

KevinK (07-14-2018)

Thanks
    Today was my six month anniversary with Dr. waffles and he decided to use the occasion to teach me a lesson 😬
    Long story short: he found a spot on the couch that I guess felt so secure that he got super pissed when I went to pick him up, he huffed and hissed and even threw a half hearted strike in my direction, not totally unlike when I try to get him out of his viv, Only instead of just going in with confidence and picking up his hissy little butt, I tiptoed around and ended up sort of chasing him across the floor whereupon he Pee’d like a madman.
    So I guess the lesson is to just pick up the snake. He is a month away from his first birthday and about 4 1/2 feet long, anyone else have these issues? do we think he will outgrow it or do I just have to be very mindful of his moods? Incidentally, he hasn’t had an episode like this since the first few days I got him.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dkatz4 For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (07-15-2018),KevinK (07-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Phyllis used to be kinda jumpy if I had her out and hadn’t actually had a hand on her for a minute. Never struck but would definitely tense up and act nervous. She’s so big now that she has much more confidence and will almost follow me around the room when I have her out to clean her cage.
    I think dr waffles just got spooked honestly. He sounds like a cool critter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (07-15-2018),CALM Pythons (06-11-2018),dkatz4 (06-02-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Phyllis used to be kinda jumpy if I had her out and hadn’t actually had a hand on her for a minute. ....
    I think dr waffles just got spooked honestly. He sounds like a cool critter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, man, he is a cool critter. In fact, A few minutes before his little freak out he was slithered up under my shirt through the neck hole and I had my face just sort of leaning on his body petting him like a lapdog. I’m sitting there thinking, “I wish snake haters could see this now” 10 minutes later I’ve got a writhing hissing pissing serpent popping urate pebble’s all over the floor and it’s like, “… Probably better that the snake haters aren’t here to see this“ LOL
    Last edited by dkatz4; 06-02-2018 at 10:03 AM.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dkatz4 For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (07-15-2018),CALM Pythons (07-23-2018),jmcrook (06-02-2018)

Thanks
    UPDATE: He's in SHED!
    So hard to tell with these albinos (and at night) so that also might have contributed to his pissy mood last night.

Well I took a measurement anyway, and he is Juuust squeezed into the 2nd place spot in my collection at 4 foot, 5.5 inches
    Irwin is about 4' 7" now, so I'd say he will hold onto his title of longest snake in the house for about 2 more weeks, LOL.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dkatz4 For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (06-11-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dkatz4 View Post
    UPDATE: He's in SHED!
    So hard to tell with these albinos (and at night) so that also might have contributed to his pissy mood last night.

Well I took a measurement anyway, and he is Juuust squeezed into the 2nd place spot in my collection at 4 foot, 5.5 inches
    Irwin is about 4' 7" now, so I'd say he will hold onto his title of longest snake in the house for about 2 more weeks, LOL.

This guys looking good, looks a similar size to my girl who hatched around July/August last year.

0.1 CB17 Pearl Burmese Python - Kaiju

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valyrian For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (06-11-2018),CALM Pythons (06-11-2018),dkatz4 (06-23-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian View Post
    This guys looking good, looks a similar size to my girl who hatched around July/August last year.

She's a beauty! I remember seeing her in that FB post about the nature of her.. pearlessence(?) . Doc was hatched July 2017 so I predict he'll be coming in around the 5 foot mark on his first birthday, which i think is pretty good (i hope). I'm not trying to power feed/grow him but at the same time my understanding is that they don't need to be as meticulously slow-grown as boas.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dkatz4 For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (07-15-2018),KevinK (07-14-2018)

Thanks

So Dexter is STILL stonewalling me on frozen thawed rats. He went about a month and a half without eating at all and I had to get him to take something to I made probably a bad decision and gave him a live mouse...which he snatched in about 30 seconds. The next week I offered a live small rat....he would slither up and check it out over the course of about two hours but still refused to take it.

So far Ive tried: tuna juice, chicken broth, mouse bedding, braining, the hairdryer method. I dance the rat for him every time for about a half hour...then leave it overnight, Nothing has worked. He smells it, slithers up to it...but wont strike, wont wrap.

His problem? He wants mice, but Im not going to give them to him becauee I cant have a mouser Burm. I will try your buffalo bill method tonight but Im still confused as to how you "pin" the mouse hide to the rat I guess.

On a side note: After hours and hours of scrolling around "Burm Junkies"...which I believe to now be a dead website, numerous breeders claim that Albinos are notoriously picky feeders and that a far majority of transitioning prey problems (mice to rats, rats to rabbits) involve albinos. Interesting. Would explain why Dr Waffles and Dexter had this same issue. Albinism in both.
    Last edited by KevinK; 07-14-2018 at 09:08 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to KevinK For This Useful Post:

dkatz4 (09-24-2018)

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast