Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,146

2 members and 3,144 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Breeding Crested Geckos

I bought a pair of crested geckos a week ago. 1 male and 1 female. I have them in a 18x 18x 24x enclosure with a divider in the middle to keep them separated(temporarily). They are both a bit too small at 24 grams each. I heard that females are supposed to be at least 35 grams before breeding so I'm waiting until then. Before I could separate them the male nipped at the female. I think it's a mating thing, and it was only at night. It was very light, and approximately once every 30-60 minutes. I'll show a picture of the enclosure in a comment or something. I have a 13 watt fluorescent bulb. It doesn't give off any significant heat and the cage is anywhere from 70-75 degrees during the day. I keep the humidity at 70%, but sometimes it gets into the 80s on accident. I use distilled water and mist the enclosure at least 3 times a day. I feed them a watermelon flavored mix who's brand escapes me. I'll post anything I miss in a comment as I'm not currently at my house. I change it every night and feed them a single scoop each. They haven't been touching their food. I fed them outside the cage a few times, but I'm going to stop so they hopefully are forced into eating inside their cage. If any of this sounds bad please let me know. I might be missing some details, but I think I covered everything important.

Thanks
    So here is what the enclosure looks like. And I feed them Zoo Med's watermelon flavor. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...9ndzZDeWtRaEp3. Just request access if you want to see it. I'm too lazy to fix it and just have a normal link or the actual picture.
    Last edited by skylord0110; 11-29-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If they were kept together for any amount of time (including for just one minute in the same enclosure while you cleaned, or something like that) they may have bred. They can also breed through a divided enclosure if it is not 100% impenetrable (solid, sealed off, etc.). 24 grams is far too small for a female crested gecko to become gravid, so you need to keep a close eye on your female in case she becomes egg bound or has other complications if she is gravid.

I would not be too concerned about their eating habits just yet. Crested geckos take a little bit of time to settle in and eat well after they are moved to a new home. If you make sure to feed the same food that the person you got them from was feeding (assuming it is one of the good brands of CGD), that will encourage them to eat sooner. You can't always tell they are eating by looking at their food dishes, so look for poop instead. If there is poop, they are eating. Don't handle until they are eating well.

Make sure you are letting the enclosure dry out in between mistings. It doesn't need to stay at 70% humidity all the time. Misting three times per day is probably a bit much unless the humidity in your house is really low and the enclosure is completely drying out and staying dry for multiple hours in between those mistings.

Post your photos here so we can see them. Don't be lazy.
    - Emily

Thanks
    Yea I was worried they might have already bred , but the wall is secure. They would have to dig through 2 inch’s of dirt to get to the other side. I have been handling them for about 10 minutes each day but I’ll leave them be for a week to see if they start eating by themselves. The humidity goes down to the lower 60s when I go to school and at night. The humidity in my house is pretty low so it lowers relatively quickly. I don’t know if 60 is dry enough for these dry periods so let me know. So here is their cage currently. I went around the entire divider and felt/looked for breaching pints but there are none. The only spaces are a quarter inch big.
    Last edited by skylord0110; 11-29-2017 at 08:08 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can let the humidity get down to 55-60% as the enclosure dries out each day. It should be misted, bringing the humidity up to 80-100% and then allowed to dry out. This cycle should be completed every 24 hours. You can mist to bring the humidity up as needed throughout the day as long as there is a dry period each day. If it gets moldy, mist less. If the geckos have trouble shedding, mist more.

There should be no gaps or spaces in the barrier in the enclosure. A quarter inch is enough that it could be a problem. Seal it with some silicone. You can use a knife to remove it when the geckos are large enough to live together.
    - Emily