Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,996

2 members and 2,994 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Coral Glow or Banana???

Ok entertain me you BP breeding experts *looking at you Albert and Deborah* Now i am not saying I'm going to do this but later when i get old and have more free time, I might consider breeding Dottie my pied along with some other snakes.

Now I really like pieds as far as BPs go so i have pretty much narrowed it down to either a Coral Glow male or Banana male.

I have read and been told they are the same. Is this true? If so, why am i seeing people selling Bananas and Coral Glows? Do Coral Glows also develop the black freckling like Bananas?
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Same gene, just different founding lines. Similar to why there are both Butter and Lesser.
    yes Coral Glows freckle up the same
    For the Horde!

Thanks

Re: Coral Glow or Banana???

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    Same gene, just different founding lines. Similar to why there are both Butter and Lesser.
    yes Coral Glows freckle up the same
    Ah ok, good to know. Well maybe one day, I'll see about breeding or trying my hand at it. I do like the look of coral glow pieds and banana pieds and personally i would rather just get a visual male as i dont feel like playing the whole crossing fingers game with hets lol. Plus male coral glow pieds and banana pied males arent really too expensive.

Now my next question is i read something about banana males can be male makers or female makers? Whats that about and I'm guessing if coral glow is the same gene, then that applies to them too?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Same animal two different lines one was imported by Will Slough back in the days the other one by Kevin McKurley.

They look the same, there are also variance from one animal to another in the same clutch, and at some point I am sure Banana will be sold as CG and vice versa.

Both develop black spots amount varies from one individual to another, and some combos show no spot at all.

I care about lineage and I have both in my collection and I do not cross them even though they are the same.

Now male and female maker.

A male maker is a male produced by a male CG or Banana and a male female maker is a male produced by a female CG or Banana. Female will produce a normal sex ratio.

Male makers will mainly produce male CG or Banana also every now and then a female CG or Banana will pop out and vice versa for the female maker, there are no stat, I can tell you that my Male Maker has produced ZERO female, I produced a little over 50 CG or CG combos with him, meanwhile one of my friend produces a female in every clutch.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 11-29-2017 at 02:40 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (11-29-2017),Sauzo (11-29-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Ah ok, good to know. Well maybe one day, I'll see about breeding or trying my hand at it. I do like the look of coral glow pieds and banana pieds and personally i would rather just get a visual male as i dont feel like playing the whole crossing fingers game with hets lol. Plus male coral glow pieds and banana pied males arent really too expensive.

Now my next question is i read something about banana males can be male makers or female makers? Whats that about and I'm guessing if coral glow is the same gene, then that applies to them too?
    It’s a weird genetic thing. It deals mostly with the sex of the parent containing the banana/CG gene. If the mother was banana/CG and produced a visual, that baby would produce predominantly females and vice versa with a banana/CG father.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brianzor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brianzor View Post
    It’s a weird genetic thing. It deals mostly with the sex of the parent containing the banana/CG gene. If the mother was banana/CG and produced a visual, that baby would produce predominantly females and vice versa with a banana/CG father.
    Yep. And also another box checked when thinking about these genes being the same. 0% chance that they're different once you factor the sex-linked characteristics in with the visual similarities.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Well, As far as the hets, the other option you have would be to go to a reputable breeder and purchase a Coral glow or Banana ball that is 100% het pied to increase your chances in producing the visuals. I know you didn't want to bother with hets but just in case.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (11-29-2017)

Thanks
    Thanks all. Now on Morph Market, i see all these Coral Glow pied males and Banana pied males for sale but see nothing of them being labeled 'male maker' or 'female maker'. Does it really matter?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks all. Now on Morph Market, i see all these Coral Glow pied males and Banana pied males for sale but see nothing of them being labeled 'male maker' or 'female maker'. Does it really matter?
    Usually if nothing is mentioned it is a male maker (you can always ask), female maker will definitely be mentioned and their price tag will also be higher.
    Deborah Stewart

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (11-29-2017),Eric Alan (11-30-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Usually if nothing is mentioned it is a male maker (you can always ask), female maker will definitely be mentioned and their price tag will also be higher.
    Awesome, thanks. Maybe I'll pick one up from you or Albert in the future as like I said, i'm not in any rush. Just would like one in the future. Right now, I'm stashing pennies and keeping an eye out for that perfect Peruvian BCC or Gila/Beaded lizard

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (11-29-2017),Stewart_Reptiles (11-29-2017)