Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,458

2 members and 1,456 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retic diet

Thanks

Retic diet

Hey everyone, I was just looking online at frozen feeders and saw that they also were offering day old chicks for sale. It says that bringing in chicks to a snakes diet is good and helps with extra/different nutrition???? What do the retic people think, could my dude benefit from a chick now and again? Sauzo?

Also, in regards to frozen mice; is it okay to thaw them the day before in the fridge just so long as you use them soon after?? it would just speed up the feeding process.
    Last edited by dylan815; 11-28-2017 at 03:51 PM.
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Mainland Reticulated
    1.0 High lines Red Tail Boa

Thanks
    also, where you guys get your guinne pigs and rabbits for feeding??? (guinnea pigs are expensive here because they only sell ones to be pets.) I'm a long ways off from having to feed items of that size but i just want to figure it all out before i need to be doing it. Thanks!
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Mainland Reticulated
    1.0 High lines Red Tail Boa

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: Retic diet

I've been ordering from rodent pro since august. Pretty decent prices aside from the rabbits. Their weights have been consistently within the range that the quote for each size, though consistently on the lower end of said quoted weights. Their guinea pigs are a good deal. I think a 5xl (1.5-2lbs) is like $5/guinea pig. Just gotta be ready to order in bulk to make it worth the shipping cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

dylan815 (11-28-2017)

Thanks

I don’t own a retic (yet), but I’m sure you’ll get some tic keepers chiming in soon. I think it is beneficial for all snakes to have variety in their diet. I ordered some day chicks and quail for my scrub and Dumeril’s so they could have a Thanksgiving feast. Although I discovered my scrub is still too small for the chicks, I threw him a couple quail and he nearly ripped the first ones head right off! I think that means he loved it

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Team Slytherin For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (12-29-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dylan815 View Post
    Hey everyone, I was just looking online at frozen feeders and saw that they also were offering day old chicks for sale. It says that bringing in chicks to a snakes diet is good and helps with extra/different nutrition???? What do the retic people think, could my dude benefit from a chick now and again? Sauzo?

Also, in regards to frozen mice; is it okay to thaw them the day before in the fridge just so long as you use them soon after?? it would just speed up the feeding process.
    I used to feed Caesar chicks but they are way too tiny got him now. He liked the diversity. I used to give him mice, rats, quails and chicks. Now he just gets guinea pigs, rats and quails. Would do rabbits but the local place i get from has been hit and miss with rabbits. I know my big Rosey misses her rabbits lol.

As for thawing in the fridge. You could i guess but for me, i just throw everything in a bucket of warm water and let it thaw for a few hours. Usually throw em in around 6pm and feed at 9pm. Now this is for big food like guinea pigs and large and jumbo rats. For mice, i have found, an hour in warm water is plenty for them. Just grab them and squeeze your hand around them tightly but not squish them and see if they feed cool to you. If so, leave them in warm water longer.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

dylan815 (11-30-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dylan815 View Post
    also, where you guys get your guinne pigs and rabbits for feeding??? (guinnea pigs are expensive here because they only sell ones to be pets.) I'm a long ways off from having to feed items of that size but i just want to figure it all out before i need to be doing it. Thanks!
    For guinea pigs, 2 local places carry them around me. Rabbits is only one place and its hit or miss recently. You can order them online from any of the feeder places like Perfect Prey, Rodent Pro or Layne Labs. Can also order piglets from Monster Feeders. You can also look on FB for any local rabbit farms around you. They will have culls which I'm sure you could pick up for fairly cheap per pound.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    I've been ordering from rodent pro since august. Pretty decent prices aside from the rabbits. Their weights have been consistently within the range that the quote for each size, though consistently on the lower end of said quoted weights. Their guinea pigs are a good deal. I think a 5xl (1.5-2lbs) is like $5/guinea pig. Just gotta be ready to order in bulk to make it worth the shipping cost

Lol dang i really need to break down and quit buying snakes and equipment and buy a small chest freezer. It costs me around $100 a month to feed the crew with Caesar being the biggest expense as his guinea pigs are about $13 a piece.

With that said, I almost pulled the trigger on a Futo/Sipperly mega peak suriname female from Russel Le Fleur a few days ago lol. Was a really clean snake and not bad price at $600 shipped. Talked to him a bit and saw pics of the parents but had to think on it as i really want a Peruvian BCC or Gila/Beaded lizard. Well i snoozed and it was sold the next day haha.

So now back to my old plan of picking up another Herpstat 6 while the sale lasts so then I'll have enough heating for 4 more cages hahaha......dang i need a freezer still
    Last edited by Sauzo; 11-28-2017 at 08:01 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Retic diet

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Lol dang i really need to break down and quit buying snakes and equipment and buy a small chest freezer. It costs me around $100 a month to feed the crew with Caesar being the biggest expense as his guinea pigs are about $13 a piece.

With that said, I almost pulled the trigger on a Futo/Sipperly mega peak suriname female from Russel Le Fleur a few days ago lol. Was a really clean snake and not bad price at $600 shipped. Talked to him a bit and saw pics of the parents but had to think on it as i really want a Peruvian BCC or Gila/Beaded lizard. Well i snoozed and it was sold the next day haha.

So now back to my old plan of picking up another Herpstat 6 while the sale lasts so then I'll have enough heating for 4 more cages hahaha......dang i need a freezer still
    The amount you'd save buying feeders online would have paid for a small chest freezer several times over by now. Think of how may more snakes you could afford by getting a small deep freeze! I can feed Phyllis for over a month for the cost of one of Caesar's guinea pigs

Last edited by jmcrook; 11-28-2017 at 08:32 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (11-28-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    The amount you'd save buying feeders online would have paid for a small chest freezer several times over by now. Think of how may more snakes you could afford by getting a small deep freeze! I can feed Phyllis for over a month for the cost of one of Caesar's guinea pigs

Lol i know but then i see these sales like the Herpstat one going on now and since i need another Herpstat 1 at least for Louie as i had to poach one of my Jumpstarts to use for now and will need another Herpstat for the extra T10 i got for whatever i get for that cage, figure might as well just go big and get another Herpstat 6 and save $43. And me with reptiles, i have what i plan to get, then i see something i like and usually jump on that haha. I'm like that pic i put up on my FB page a while ago with the guy with the dog cone around his next to limit view at reptile expos or else i'd come home with all sorts of stuff and then have to try and figure out caging haha.

I do think I'm going to break down and get a chest freezer next month though as it seems a lot of gilas and beaded are just hatching now so i got a few months to kill plus its getting too cold to ship reptiles for the next couple months anyways lol.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (11-28-2017)

Thanks

Definitely get a freezer! I’m lucky enough to have a big upright in the kitchen, and my husband and son don’t mind that the top shelf is feeders.

Once my husband is getting a steady paycheck again (job changes), I’ll probably fire up the backup freezer and stock up on small rabbits for my big morelia and the boa. I also need to see if I can find kits on-line - the corn snakes went nuts for them, but going to my local expo for them is kind of a nuisance - at an hour’s drive each way plus $5 entry per person, I’d rather pay shipping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast