Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,886

1 members and 2,885 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Retic diet

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Re: Retic diet

Quote Originally Posted by Prognathodon View Post
    Definitely get a freezer! I’m lucky enough to have a big upright in the kitchen, and my husband and son don’t mind that the top shelf is feeders.

Once my husband is getting a steady paycheck again (job changes), I’ll probably fire up the backup freezer and stock up on small rabbits for my big morelia and the boa. I also need to see if I can find kits on-line - the corn snakes went nuts for them, but going to my local expo for them is kind of a nuisance - at an hour’s drive each way plus $5 entry per person, I’d rather pay shipping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Haha yeah, one day i'll get one. Like i said, i think the winter will be a blessing in disguise for me as it will limit my spending on reptiles. And i really only just need one more big t-stat to have everything covered now and in the future. Found a place that has the big bails of American Excelsior aspen and with the Black Friday deal, i picked up 3 of the 7.5 cu ft bails for $4.99 each with free shipping. So my snakes should be set on aspen for at least 8 months i hope.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I feed my retics fresh killed rats because I breed them and have tons of them all the time. I have a bunch right now, old breeders that I'm replacing and a bunch of young males that are getting too big for my ball pythons. I've seen people with huge retics in foreign countries feed them fresh killed roosters, apparently they can get them for cheap. I bet you could get them for free on Craig's List. I don't think my rats cost that much, I just clean them twice a week and top off the food when I clean so not much work either. Have to give them a gallon of water per day though LOL. That's for 50+ tubs of rodents.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post
    I feed my retics fresh killed rats because I breed them and have tons of them all the time. I have a bunch right now, old breeders that I'm replacing and a bunch of young males that are getting too big for my ball pythons. I've seen people with huge retics in foreign countries feed them fresh killed roosters, apparently they can get them for cheap. I bet you could get them for free on Craig's List. I don't think my rats cost that much, I just clean them twice a week and top off the food when I clean so not much work either. Have to give them a gallon of water per day though LOL. That's for 50+ tubs of rodents.
    I would advise against just getting feeders off CL. Might be me but i personally try and find my snakes' food from reputable sources and i consider CL as very questionable at best. I know i wouldnt eat anything sold to me on CL so if i wouldnt eat it or drink it, i wont give it my snakes. Thats why my snakes get tap water from the faucet. I'd drink it so they can too lol.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (11-29-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    See if you can find someone local who raises free range chickens or meat rabbits. I buy culls from local sources for $2/pound. The sell me anything under about 4 pounds since when the feeders are that small (live weight) they're really not worth butchering out. I also get all the stillborn chicks and kits, my king snakes go nuts for them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    See if you can find someone local who raises free range chickens or meat rabbits. I buy culls from local sources for $2/pound. The sell me anything under about 4 pounds since when the feeders are that small (live weight) they're really not worth butchering out. I also get all the stillborn chicks and kits, my king snakes go nuts for them.
    Back when I was in big snakes I found a local show rabbit breeder. Her retired breeders were 5-7 pounds but I was getting them for $5 each. Would also get culls. I was the only buyer and she had friends that were breeders also. I never had a shortage. Just make sure your find a quick and humane way to dispatch if you got this route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fishinglink View Post
    Back when I was in big snakes I found a local show rabbit breeder. Her retired breeders were 5-7 pounds but I was getting them for $5 each. Would also get culls. I was the only buyer and she had friends that were breeders also. I never had a shortage. Just make sure your find a quick and humane way to dispatch if you got this route.
    My sources prefer to dispatch/freeze the animals themselves to ensure that whoever claims to be buying their culls and retired breeders as feeders isn't really turning around and flipping them as pets or breedable animals.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Fishinglink (12-13-2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12