Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,884

0 members and 2,884 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Which one??

Thanks

Which one??

So, I need help, which Lizard/Gecko should I get?
    I am thinking about either a Leopard Gecko or a Blue-Tongue Skink, and I REALLY want both, but for now Imma choice one. (If my dad approves.)
    So, can y'all give information about both of them, please.

Oh, and I am not thinking about getting anymore snakes, right now. (Even though I love them.) lol
    Last edited by Axel28; 11-28-2017 at 12:37 PM.
    Ball Pythons: 0.0.1 Axel/ Leopard Geckos: 1.0 Demyx/ Dogs: 0.1 Butterfly, 0.1 Prissy, 0.1 Shelby 10. Vortex/ Cats: 0.1 Izzie, 0.1 Isabella/ Chicken: 1.0 Big Red

Thanks
    Leopard geckos will require less space and will be lower maintenance however a bts will be more like a "pet".
    1.0 Albino Black Pastel Pinstripe BP "Menolo"
    0.1 Albino Spider BP "Ginger"
    0.1 Black Pastel Het. Albino "Jasmine"

1.0 Woma python "Stitch"
    0.1 Woma python "Milo"
    0.1 Woma python "Millie"

1.0 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python

1.0 Black South African Boerboel "Midas"
    0.1 Chocolate Lab "Coco"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to enginee837 For This Useful Post:

Axel28 (11-28-2017)

Thanks
    BTS require a larger (much larger) cage setup and cost a lot more (CB animals are at least $350, most $450 and up right now and you don't want a cheaper animal as they are likely wild caught and infested with parasites or are sick / stressed). The care is about the same otherwise. Both will live 10+ years, both need a heat source, and both need a diet with correct supplementation. For geckos, crickets, roaches, super worms dusted with calcium with D3 and a multivitamin. For the BTS, a quality dog food mixed with veggies / fruits with supplementation (cal with d3 and a multivitamin). BTS will also take live insects, f/t pinkies, etc. Both can be tamed. BTS are probably a little smarter, but can also do more damage via a bite or just clawing to get away.

Leo= at least a 20gl long as a lifetime setup. Heat pad with t-stat, multiple hides, etc.
    BTS= 40gl breeder or bigger (I use a 4'x2' pvc cage) heat lamp or heat pad with t-stat, hides, etc.

Both need increased humidity while shedding and some species of BTS need high humidity all the time (indos, IJs, Mereukes).

For your current skill level, budget, space, etc. I'd go with a leo but consider what you will feed it and how you will keep the feeders it needs. Live feeders are "pets" of a type too and need food / water and containment. Some feeders can smell or make noise, so that is a factor. Feeders aren't cheap, so look at local and online sources and come up with a budget for them as well as their food and enclosure. I have a roach colony to feed my insect eaters, but it is a hassle to maintain and I have to feed the colony organic veggies, chicken feed, and buy water crystals for it.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Axel28 (11-28-2017),DavidNDC (11-28-2017)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It will depends on your budget

Leopard geckos themselves and the enclosure will cost a lot less whereas BTS will cost a lot more, a BTS will need a 4x2 cage.

The second consideration is the time you want to devote to meal prep and whether you want to feed bugs or not.

With Leo you will have to have bugs available at all time most people will have a mealworm dish in the enclosure and replacing with fresh gut loaded mealworms every day every other day. Mealworms are easy to breed so you can either setup a small colony or go and buy them.

A BTS you can prepare a batch of food that you will freeze and thaw on feeding day, it will be composed of greens, chicken liver (better then cat food and does not contain all the preservative in it) and fruits. The advantage is that you can shop for your BTW food while doing groceries.

Other determinant factor will be the size.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 11-28-2017 at 01:45 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Axel28 (11-28-2017),DavidNDC (11-28-2017)

Thanks
    My son's leopard gecko was our 1st reptile and he has been an absolute joy to have. It took him a couple weeks to settle in but now that he has he's a lot of fun to watch. He'll come out begging for a treat as soon as you walk into the room!

He's just a very low maintenance and chill guy. Highly recommended but I have no experience with Skinks other than the ones that live under my front porch.

Edit: Mine wants nothing to do with mealworms. In fact, I think he has a soft spot in his little gecko heart for them and likes to raise them up to be beetles. He sticks with crickets and the occasional horn worm.

Diego the Leopard Gecko on the prowl for crickets. by David, on Flickr
    Last edited by DavidNDC; 11-28-2017 at 02:44 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidNDC For This Useful Post:

Axel28 (11-28-2017)