Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,055

3 members and 3,052 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Just Curious

Thanks

Just Curious

So recently I have found myself so drawn to blood Pythons I love their little faces obviously need more research no where close to actually getting one myself but wonder what a healthy adult looks like so many I seen look like little sausages with tiny heads is this overweight or the norm for a them ? Thank you for your time and happiest holidays to you .
    Domestic Short Hair - Miss Becky
    Russian Blue - Church
    Miniature Poodle - Pierre LaPoodlePants
    Banana BP - Yuri Katsuki

Thanks
    Although they are heavy-bodied snakes with streamlined heads, they shouldn't look like over-inflated inner tubes. There should be a prominent transition from head and neck to body, a discernible dorsal ridge, and a relatively smooth taper from body to tail.

Here are some of our adults. These snakes are between 4-15 years old, range in length from 4' - 6'+, and weigh between 10 - 25 lbs. There's quite a range based on species, age, gender & bloodline.

Adult blood pythons (Python brongersmai)

Adult Borneo short-tailed pythons (Python breitensteini)

Adult Sumatran short-tailed pythons (Python curtus)

Last edited by Kara; 11-27-2017 at 09:56 PM.
    Kara L. Norris
    The Blood Cell - BloodPythons.com
    Selectively-bred bloods & short-tailed pythons
    Quality is our only filter.

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kara For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (11-29-2017),Alicia (12-08-2017),BallPythonWannaBe (11-28-2017),C.Marie (11-28-2017),Dxw425 (11-27-2017),Godzilla78 (11-27-2017),MD_Pythons (11-27-2017),Prognathodon (11-27-2017)

Thanks

Re: Just Curious

Thank you so much they such a gorgeous set of noodles I was watching YouTube and saw so many that look at thick as a man leg which made their heads look like it was too small and started to wonder if that was healthy for them? Since I saw that at some point doesn't Blood Pythons eat less frequently then your ball pythons? I also heard tell that feeding poultry verse rodents all the time can help? But everyone I see seems to feed rodents do you ever give yours poultry or other meals? Thank you so much for your help
    Russian Blue - Church
    Banana BP - Yuri Katsuki

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by C.Marie View Post
    Thank you so much they such a gorgeous set of noodles I was watching YouTube and saw so many that look at thick as a man leg which made their heads look like it was too small and started to wonder if that was healthy for them? Since I saw that at some point doesn't Blood Pythons eat less frequently then your ball pythons? I also heard tell that feeding poultry verse rodents all the time can help? But everyone I see seems to feed rodents do you ever give yours poultry or other meals? Thank you so much for your help
    Bloods eat less frequently than ball pythons. Our adults are fed twice a month, and maintain good condition on reasonably-sized meals (i.e. large rats). We do tailor the amount and frequency of food to the individual snake and whether that snake is slated to breed that year, but for a general schedule, 2 weeks is what we follow.

We occasionally feed off extra roosters from our flock, but not to the extent where it has made a discernible difference in the overall weight of our snakes. Good husbandry and common sense help the most, there.
    Kara L. Norris

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kara For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (11-29-2017)

BPnet Veteran BallPythonWannaBe's Avatar
    Thanks

I was wondering what the best enclosure would be to use for a Blood Python? If ambient air temp isnt enough(I read that ambient temps are better for them instead of hot spots?) Really sorry to hijack this thread but I figured it might also help the OP as well as anwser my question
    "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live"
    -J.K Rowling Sorcerer's Stone
    Long time no see, back at it again in my white vans.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BallPythonWannaBe For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (11-29-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BallPythonWannaBe View Post
    I was wondering what the best enclosure would be to use for a Blood Python? If ambient air temp isnt enough(I read that ambient temps are better for them instead of hot spots?) Really sorry to hijack this thread but I figured it might also help the OP as well as anwser my question
    Ambient temps work well for hatchlings - subadults, when maintained at 80-82 degrees (F). We maintain our adults at these temperatures as well, but also provide a warmer spot in the enclosure of 86-87 degrees (F).

48" x 24" x 15" is a good cage size (i.e. Animal Plastics T-10 enclosure):

Here's some additional care info you may find helpful:
    http://bloodpythons.com/index.php/bl...ve-environment
    Kara L. Norris

BPnet Veteran BallPythonWannaBe's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kara View Post
    Ambient temps work well for hatchlings - subadults, when maintained at 80-82 degrees (F). We maintain our adults at these temperatures as well, but also provide a warmer spot in the enclosure of 86-87 degrees (F).

48" x 24" x 15" is a good cage size (i.e. Animal Plastics T-10 enclosure):

Here's some additional care info you may find helpful:
    http://bloodpythons.com/index.php/bl...ve-environment
    That was an extremely helpful link! I was wondering about something. I had seen someone split a T-10 in half with a divider and clutter it up and use it for a blood hatching. If I ever got a Blood(Hypothetical) I would need to have a way to raise ambient air temps as using no heat source at all would not be an option unfortunately
    "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live"
    -J.K Rowling Sorcerer's Stone
    Long time no see, back at it again in my white vans.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BallPythonWannaBe View Post
    No glad you added I love Blood Pythons and more knowledge is always better then less thank you so much and happy holidays
    Russian Blue - Church
    Banana BP - Yuri Katsuki

12. The Following User Says Thank You to C.Marie For This Useful Post:

BallPythonWannaBe (11-29-2017)