Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,875

2 members and 2,873 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull

Thread: Meet Diego

Thanks

Meet Diego

Diego is my son's Leopard Gecko. We've had him for about 6 months now, our 1st entry into keeping a reptile and the gateway drug that landed Leo our Ball Python a spot on our roster.

He's a low maintenance and chill kinda guy, eating mostly crickets with the occasional horn worm. He's housed in a med-wide sized Exo Terra tank with a substrate of EcoEarth with a heating pad and CHE on separate thermostats. When we first brought him home he was a bit shy but now he comes out to greet whoever comes into the room begging for a handout as he's seen doing here.

Diego by David, on Flickr
    Last edited by DavidNDC; 11-26-2017 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Pic fail

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidNDC For This Useful Post:

savora (11-26-2017)

Thanks
    I love leopard geckos!! I definitely am going to get one as my next reptile. Thanks for this beautiful photo!

Are there any other reptiles you hope to add to the family, now that you have the reptile bug?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to savora For This Useful Post:

DavidNDC (11-26-2017)

Thanks

Re: Meet Diego

Quote Originally Posted by savora View Post
    I love leopard geckos!! I definitely am going to get one as my next reptile. Thanks for this beautiful photo!

Are there any other reptiles you hope to add to the family, now that you have the reptile bug?
    He's just the coolest little guy, or at least he thinks so.. Very friendly and a ham for the camera. Always fun to watch as he wags his tail just before pouncing on a cricket.

Not sure what we'll get next. Our python is currently in a 10 gallon tank while we await the delivery of an Animal Plastics T-10. So we'll have a complete 10 Gallon setup with vacancy when that arrives. Not sure what we could put in there that wouldn't be to cramped for a forever home. Would prefer something that does not have high humidity requirements so I don't have to fight that constantly. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Hmm. I would suggest a male garter snake, as they get only 2-3 feet. They're very docile and friendly but they're a totally more active snake than a ball python (and diurnal! Fun to watch!), and will use climbing opportunities if you give them. Lots of people also regard a ten gallon as the minimum size for a crested gecko, but they do need their enclosure misted (I believe? I haven't read up on them in a while). Also, a pink tongue skink would do well in one! They don't have humidity requirements, but they need a good UVB light to produce their calcium.

Oh! And rosy boas. Rosy boas are cool because they're one of North America's only two boa species.

Thanks
    Uh, are you into amphibians or tarantulas?

Thanks
    That's a no on the tarantulas. I got over my fear of snakes for the boy, but spiders - no way!

That's interesting I didn't realize that Rosy Boas (or any boas for that matter) were native to the North America. I'll have to check those out along with the skinks. Thanks!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidNDC For This Useful Post:

savora (11-27-2017)