Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,108

2 members and 3,106 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Thinking about getting a dwarf/super dwarf retic

Ive been thinking about getting a dwarf/super dwarf retic, preferabely one which maxes out around the 6-8' range. I just don't know what % of dwarf/super dwarf would make such an animal. I dont want a monstrous 12'+ snake but I also dont want a one as small as 4'. I was thinking maybe a 50% mainland 50% super dwarf?

Thanks

Re: Thinking about getting a dwarf/super dwarf retic

Quote Originally Posted by tegu View Post
    Ive been thinking about getting a dwarf/super dwarf retic, preferabely one which maxes out around the 6-8' range. I just don't know what % of dwarf/super dwarf would make such an animal. I dont want a monstrous 12'+ snake but I also dont want a one as small as 4'. I was thinking maybe a 50% mainland 50% super dwarf?
    I don't know if anyone can guarantee the size of dwarf or super dwarf. If you look at the Giant Python thread you will see dwarf/super dwarf getting over 8', but have very little girth. My SD mother which is 50% Kalatoa and she is 9' and the father is a mainland and he's 10', so there is no guarantee. There are quite a few threads about this in the Giant Python thread.Hope this helps!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    For a snake that small you will need a pure super dwarf. My "dwarf" genetic stripe female is 14 feet.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

I wouldnt plan on any baby retic no matter then genes to only get 6-8'. Even pure Kalatoas can get over 8'. Look at Phyllis, JMcrooks pure female Kalatoa. She is almost 9'. And my 37.5% SD 31.5% dwarf 31% mainland male white tiger is 7'ish. Personally, i would plan for a 10' snake if you get a high percent SD. That way you dont have any unpleasant surprises as trying to rehome a grown retic is going to be much harder than something like an anole

Look at the other thread to see some answers but short answer, look at the parents. That will give you a good idea of the average your snake 'should' get. But it isnt a guarantee. Plus genes like tiger tend to make bigger snakes.

My advice is focus more on the snakes personality. Caesar is a total lounge snake that is very chill. So even though he is 7'ish, he is still very easily moved and seems to like attention. Now the same size snake who is defensive and strikes, can make that 7' feel like 20' lol. Caesar is only 18 months old so we will see how he is come breeding season. Hopefully, he doesnt turn into a hormonal monster.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 11-26-2017 at 08:54 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    I wouldnt plan on any baby retic no matter then genes to only get 6-8'. Even pure Kalatoas can get over 8'. Look at Phyllis, JMcrooks pure female Kalatoa. She is almost 9'. And my 37.5% SD 31.5% dwarf 31% mainland male white tiger is 7'ish. Personally, i would plan for a 10' snake if you get a high percent SD. That way you dont have any unpleasant surprises as trying to rehome a grown retic is going to be much harder than something like an anole

Look at the other thread to see some answers but short answer, look at the parents. That will give you a good idea of the average your snake 'should' get. But it isnt a guarantee. Plus genes like tiger tend to make bigger snakes.
    I might actually be ok with a 10' as they tend to be skinnier than the bloods and boas I've worked with. Thanks for the information though, I will probably go with a pure Kala toa if I choose to get one .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

I might actually be ok with a 10' as they tend to be skinnier than the bloods and boas I've worked with. Thanks for the information though, I will probably go with a pure Kala toa if I choose to get one .

No problem. Just be aware that pure Kalatoas tend to be a bit more flighty than mainlands. Plus if you want any kind of morph, you will have to mix in mainland or dwarf blood as the only morph in SDs are anery.

And yeah, they are skinnier than boas. My 6.5' female BCI is a little thicker than my 7' retic.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 11-26-2017 at 08:59 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    No problem. Just be aware that pure Kalatoas tend to be a bit more flighty than mainlands. Plus if you want any kind of morph, you will have to mix in mainland or dwarf blood as the only morph in SDs are anery.
    Ok thanks that is something to take into consideration. Is it purely defensive or is it like the mainland males during breeding season? I've worked with some sketchy snakes on the larger side, but nothing that would go out of its way to bite you if you know what I mean.

As far as morphs go it doesn't bother me much. I think the normal reti are amazing.