Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,117

1 members and 3,116 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Re: ring of white puffiness around eyes, and there are tiny small white bugs! :(

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    Does anyone know who sells provent-a-mite that would have faster shipping? Or where to buy it in person?
    Go to a drug store or WalMart, Target, etc. Get a 2 oz bottle of the NIX lice treatment cream rinse that contains permethrin. Mix that with a gallon of clean water to make an effective mite spray.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (11-25-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Re: ring of white puffiness around eyes, and there are tiny small white bugs! :(

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Go to a drug store or WalMart, Target, etc. Get a 2 oz bottle of the NIX lice treatment cream rinse that contains permethrin. Mix that with a gallon of clean water to make an effective mite spray.
    Would wiping this solution on furniture and outside of the tub and stuff be an okay replacement for PAM? Or does it only work when wet, like the reptile soray?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    Would wiping this solution on furniture and outside of the tub and stuff be an okay replacement for PAM? Or does it only work when wet, like the reptile soray?
    I too have asked lots of people this question and no one seems to know. It's worth trying while waiting for the PAM to arrives as worst case, it loses effectiveness when dried. Best case it keeps the effectiveness when dried. I would try it. Also can check your reptile shops. I know my reptile shop stocks it and I also live close to Bean Farm so i can just drive out there and pick up a couple cans from them if needed which is what i did when i found a couple mites on Luna. I now keep a couple cans handy in case i get hitchhikers again.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    The active ingredient in PAM is permethrin. The active ingredient in the NIX is permethrin. Permethrin has a half-life of 30 days if kept out of direct sunlight, that is shortened to about a week if used outside as a kennel/livestock spray. Permethrin will remain effective at killing the mites even when dried and it can be sprayed on the tubs, hides, rack, carpet, etc. You can also spray the paper you use as substrate with it, just make sure it dries completely before putting your snake back on it. I would also keep a supply of treated and dried paper on-hand to use so that you can replace the soiled paper with it when your snake makes a mess.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (11-26-2017),redshepherd (11-25-2017)

Thanks

The active ingredient in PAM is permethrin. The active ingredient in the NIX is permethrin. Permethrin has a half-life of 30 days if kept out of direct sunlight, that is shortened to about a week if used outside as a kennel/livestock spray. Permethrin will remain effective at killing the mites even when dried and it can be sprayed on the tubs, hides, rack, carpet, etc. You can also spray the paper you use as substrate with it, just make sure it dries completely before putting your snake back on it. I would also keep a supply of treated and dried paper on-hand to use so that you can replace the soiled paper with it when your snake makes a mess.
    Thank you! Also, that's a really good idea about keeping treated paper.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Be persistent. Don’t think things are safe just because you do t see them after 4-5 weeks.
    Top off your Amazon order with some new plants and vines.

Thanks

Is this a reliable guide for Nix...? It instructs to spray directly on the snake as well, but not sure I trust this. Since PAM shouldn't be sprayed on the snake.

http://bamboozoo.weebly.com/snakes-n...treatment.html

Other than that part, I assume Nix works the same way as PAM in that once it dries completely inside the enclosure, it is safe for the snake to live in?

I've just sprayed everywhere with Nix solution and waiting for it to dry LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by DLena View Post
    Be persistent. Don’t think things are safe just because you do t see them after 4-5 weeks.
    Top off your Amazon order with some new plants and vines.
    for sure! I'm going to respray with PAM a week or two from now.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 11-26-2017 at 08:07 PM.

Thanks
    I've never sprayed a permetrin-based product directly on a snake. It's not needed since the mites will walk on the treated paper during the off-snake stages of their life cycle. I use Reptile Spray on the snake.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (02-20-2018),redshepherd (11-26-2017)

Thanks

I've never sprayed a permetrin-based product directly on a snake. It's not needed since the mites will walk on the treated paper during the off-snake stages of their life cycle. I use Reptile Spray on the snake.
    Awesome, sounds good! That's what I've done.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345