Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,940

1 members and 2,939 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Actually, can Frontline be used on top of reptile spray if I've already used reptile spray? Would there be some reaction between the two chemicals that might be harmful?

And can Frontline be used on a snake in the enclosure covered in PAM (dried), do you think?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    I probably wouldnt use it. PAM is permethrin. That Frontline stuff is something else. I wouldnt want to mix the two. If you are worried about the room, i have been told by a couple boa breeders i talk to that hanging those Hot Shot no pest stripes in the room will work but you need to circulate the air around with like a box fan or ceiling fan. And you dont want to hang it close to the snake cages. They hang them on the opposite corner and then one runs a box fan while the other person uses a ceiling fan.

But me personally, as long as you are wiping down the outside of the cages, tables, legs and anything else mites can use to gain access to the snakes for a few months, you should be ok. I personally am not a fan of using lots of chemicals around my snakes so only thing i have ever used has been PAM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (11-24-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Re: ring of white puffiness around eyes, and there are tiny small white bugs! :(

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    Thanks for the vid! Is frontline worth getting if I already have reptile spray? So it lasts on the snake for an extended period even after drying?

Is this the right product? https://www.chewy.com/frontline-spra...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    It looks like the same product.

You can wash off the Reptile Spray just by soaking the snake in water. It doesn't persist long anyway like the Frontline does.

The PAM is for use in/around the enclosure or rack to kill mites during the off-snake phase of their life cycle. You spray the tub/enclosure, newspaper substrate, and hide with it. Don't spray the water bowl. You don't put the snake back into its enclosure until all of that stuff has completely dried.

Note in the video he did that with a snake that just arrived. It should be SOP to treat all new snakes for mites until you are 100% certain they are not carrying any. If you treat the enclosure with permethrin the day before the snake arrives, and use the Frontline or Reptile Spray when the snake comes out of the shipping box, you should stop an infestation before it becomes a major problem.
    Last edited by bcr229; 11-24-2017 at 09:15 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (11-24-2017),redshepherd (11-24-2017)

Thanks
    Thanks you guys for the replies as usual!

I forgot to mention... I had Jack's old tub sitting on an unused mattress. Do you think the mites would lay eggs on the mattress? Would spraying it all over in PAM kill any mites left, or do you think I should just throw the mattress out?
    Last edited by redshepherd; 11-25-2017 at 12:35 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    I would spray the mattress. If you don't want the smell/chemical on it you could always use a steam cleaner on it, as temps of 135*F for five seconds will kill mites and eggs.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (11-25-2017)

Thanks
    Does anyone know who sells provent-a-mite that would have faster shipping? Or where to buy it in person?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    I know I have told this story several times here, but Ragnarok completely eradicated a mite infestation my himself. They do this in nature without human intervention. All I did was provide a fresh bowl of water every day that he could completely submerge himself in, and I cleaned the tank out every day. Within a couple weeks, he eradicated all the mites AND all the eggs. They never came back, and that was 2 years ago. I didn't use any chemicals at all except for a bowl of dihydrogen monoxide. Good old DROWNING. It worked.

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Re: ring of white puffiness around eyes, and there are tiny small white bugs! :(

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    I forgot to mention... I had Jack's old tub sitting on an unused mattress. Do you think the mites would lay eggs on the mattress? Would spraying it all over in PAM kill any mites left, or do you think I should just throw the mattress out?
    Take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

For the Horde!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (11-25-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    I know I have told this story several times here, but Ragnarok completely eradicated a mite infestation my himself. They do this in nature without human intervention. All I did was provide a fresh bowl of water every day that he could completely submerge himself in, and I cleaned the tank out every day. Within a couple weeks, he eradicated all the mites AND all the eggs. They never came back, and that was 2 years ago. I didn't use any chemicals at all except for a bowl of dihydrogen monoxide. Good old DROWNING. It worked.
    That's nice, but Jack hasn't soaked himself once in his water bowl yet, and he is small enough to fit into it like a pond. So it seems that not all snakes instinctively soak when they have mites, even if that were to work.

I also noticed young mites crawling outside the tub, so they don't just stay in the tub. I think it is safest to use PAM to really get rid of all of them.

"They do this in nature without human intervention." This is why animals in nature have short lifespans and die from various diseases and parasites... Treating and giving our animals the best care in captivity is what keeps them alive.

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    Take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Honestly I think I might actually throw it out LOL.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 11-25-2017 at 08:03 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (11-25-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    Yeah, if he is not soaking then he needs more help than water. Just trying to help, I was so happy that the soaking worked for us.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast