Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,134

1 members and 3,133 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 602 Posts
    Just want to point out that the Amazon prime box has tape on it. Might want to remove that one.

Beautiful boa! All these forum boas kind of make me want one.... but they're so big... but they're so pretty..... lol.
    0.1 Red Axanthic P. regius | Mazikeen
    E. climacophora | Lan Fan
    C. paulsoni | Inej

Thanks

Re: Kaiya’s Progression Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    Just want to point out that the Amazon prime box has tape on it. Might want to remove that one.

Beautiful boa! All these forum boas kind of make me want one.... but they're so big... but they're so pretty..... lol.
    Yeah another reason I wanted to replace them. I priced some at the pet store yesterday and they wanted $20 each for them. Outrageous...So I think I’m going to go to the dollar store tomorrow and make some out of some bowls or Tupperware containers.

Thank you though! And trust me, I still have my concerns with size haha. Going from BP’s to a Boa has been a big jump for me. But still nothing compared to some of these Retics I’ve been seeing. Im not sure I could ever handle a snake of that size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Catahoula (Easton)
    1.0 Chocolate Lab/Weimeraner (Gunner)
    0.1 Black Pewter het Albino (Arya)
    0.1 BCI (Kaiya)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    These are what i use and they work awesome except some do warp but it hasnt bothers the snakes at all. They are pretty cheap too except the jumbo ones which got kind of pricey when i had to order 6 of them lol.
    http://www.reptilebasics.com/hide-boxes
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    These are what i use and they work awesome except some do warp but it hasnt bothers the snakes at all. They are pretty cheap too except the jumbo ones which got kind of pricey when i had to order 6 of them lol.
    http://www.reptilebasics.com/hide-boxes
    Those are the exact hides I was looking at when I was at the pet store the other day. But the store I went to was a private family owned one and their mark up is extremely high. Those medium hides were $20 lol. If the shipping isn’t bad I’ll just order them straight from that site. Thanks for the link!

1.0 Catahoula (Easton)
    0.1 BCI (Kaiya)

Thanks

Another successful feeding day! I have started to notice she doesn’t really waste much time constricting anymore. Usually bites, wraps, and begins swallowing all in a matter of 1-2 minutes. Very unusual from what I’m used to seeing but I guess I can’t complain! Smart girl?

She gave me that look of “would you please stop watching me eat” so I didn’t want to bother her with pics of her swallowing haha.

1.0 Catahoula (Easton)
    0.1 BCI (Kaiya)

Thanks

Well today has been a roller coaster of emotion for me and Kaiya. The good news is, she’s finally in blue! So hopefully within the next few days I’ll get to see a nice shed from her (my first since getting her).

And now the overwhelmingly bad news (also another first for me)...Kaiya has mites. There was absolutely no signs of them or any prolonged soaking since I got her, but today I noticed she was soaking for a majority of the day. Didn’t really think anything of it since she was showing signs of shedding, but after looking harder, I began to notice them not only in her water but also crawling on her head. What a nightmare . So tomorrow I’ll completely disinfect her enclosure, put paper towel back down as substrate, bathe her, and hopefully begin the long process of getting rid of these little buggers for good. If y’all have any tips or tricks on getting rid of them, that would be greatly appreciated!!

1.0 Catahoula (Easton)
    0.1 BCI (Kaiya)

Thanks

Kaiya ended up shedding last night but not exactly in the way I think she had intended to. My guess is that her skin caught something in the tub causing it to rip at the half way point. So now she has fully shed her lower half with the upper still in tact . Guess it’s just a waiting game til she decides to try and shed the rest of it off. Colors look amazing though! Iridescence like I’ve never seen before, pinks on high alert, browns lighter than ever, and even some almost lavender hues popping through.

Not only that, she also unleashed probably the biggest poop I’ve ever seen. Something I could mistake for my cats. She had been holding that one back for quite some time now lol.

I’ll be sure to post plenty of pics once she’s completed her shed.

1.0 Catahoula (Easton)
    0.1 BCI (Kaiya)

Thanks

Well Kaiya was showing no signs of attempted to get her shed off on her own, so I decided to help her out today. Managed to take the last foot of shed off in one piece minus one small spot under her chin which you will see in the pics. Would have taken that off too but she started huffing and puffing a little towards the end and I didn’t want to stress her out anymore.

She probably would have had a perfect shed, but I’m sure those mites didn’t help a whole lot. Would that be what caused a black/soot-like coloration to some parts of her shed? Only a few days in and I’ve got 99% of the mite problem taken care of, but I’m going to continue to treat for them over the next month or so.

I wish these pictures would do her justice but the fluorescent light acts with my iPhone in a way that takes away from the true beauty. Can’t wait til summer so I can take her outside and use natural light.

1.0 Catahoula (Easton)
    0.1 BCI (Kaiya)

Thanks

Well it’s been a while since my last post on Kaiya. She is doing great! Now up to medium rats every 14-21 days and putting on some nice size.

About a week ago I went for my usual handling session and surprisingly got struck at twice. Not like her at all to be that defensive. Turns out she was in shed and I was unaware. She really didn’t darken up all that much and I guess I completely missed her foggy eye phase. But she’s back to being her sweet self! I assume the lack of vision from the shed put her on the defense.

This is also her first perfect shed with me. The first one was in about 4-5 different pieces but we were also battling a mite problem. It’s nice to see that my husbandry is on point and the mites are no longer an issue. I’ll post post-shed pics soon!

1.0 Catahoula (Easton)
    0.1 BCI (Kaiya)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Codil7 For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (02-04-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Very nice boa ,it’s surprising how much growth they put on when on medium rats
    I’m glad you got the mite issue under control

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

Codil7 (02-04-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12