Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,299

0 members and 1,299 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Herpstat?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Re: Which Herpstat?

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    I'm hoping that Spyder Robotics chimes in here, as I would also like to know the fundamental difference between the Herpstat EZ2, and the Herpstat 2, besides the analog controller and the $50 discount! The Herpstat EZ2 sounds appealing, as I am on a tight budget.
    Well from just glacing at the two, it looks like the EZ2 can handle 300 watts per channel while the Herpstat 2 can handle 500 watts per channel. The EZ2 cant do humidity or lighting, its just a heater. And obviously, setting temps is not going to be as precise as you are using an analog dial vs a digital input but that point really doesnt matter as you dont need a 1% precise temp setting. And also with no digital display, you cant just simply look at the display to see the temps. I do like how the snakes eyes are the lights to let you know when its on. And the biggest difference i see is it seems the EZ models dont have the safety relay like the Herpstat 1 and up do like i mentioned.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (11-19-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Which Herpstat?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Misha View Post
    With the Herpstat 2 you can also get their humidity probe (even though it's like $55).
    Dion recommended saving my money and buying a hygrometer from Xikar as they utilize them to calibrate their units.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    I'm hoping that Spyder Robotics chimes in here, as I would also like to know the fundamental difference between the Herpstat EZ2, and the Herpstat 2, besides the analog controller and the $50 discount! The Herpstat EZ2 sounds appealing, as I am on a tight budget.
    I would shoot Dion an e-mail if you have questions. Not sure if he monitors this forum. He is really responsive and easy to communicate with. As a matter of fact, he answered an e-mail for me just yesterday with a question I had about my LCD screen going blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Well from just glacing at the two, it looks like the EZ2 can handle 300 watts per channel while the Herpstat 2 can handle 500 watts per channel. The EZ2 cant do humidity or lighting, its just a heater. And obviously, setting temps is not going to be as precise as you are using an analog dial vs a digital input but that point really doesnt matter as you dont need a 1% precise temp setting. And also with no digital display, you cant just simply look at the display to see the temps. I do like how the snakes eyes are the lights to let you know when its on. And the biggest difference i see is it seems the EZ models dont have the safety relay like the Herpstat 1 and up do like i mentioned.

The safety relay is worth every penny if you value your snakes and home.

I use 2 Herpstat 4's now and will most likely be adding another unit in the future.
    Ball Python
    0.1 Lesser (Lucille) local pet store
    Boas
    0.1 Caulkers Cay (CC) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Sunglow het moonglow (Sonny) from Dustin Dirnberger
    1.0 BCI - DH Sharp Snow (Bob) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa (Babylon) from Ike Lightener (Ike's Exotics & Aquatics)
    Pythons
    0.0.1 Unknown/undocumented rescue (Roger)
    Northern White Lip (Solo)
    Cats

1.1 Domestic short hair (Esther and James)
    Snake Wishlist
    Drymarchon Malanurus (Black Tail Cribno)
    SD/D Retic
    Woma or Black Headed Python
    Other Reptile Wishlist
    Poison dart frogs

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BR8080 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (11-21-2017)

Thanks
    Ordered my Herpstat 2 last night to take advantage of the 10% off and it's already in the mail, they are on the ball!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    Hey everybody SPyderRobotics answered me:
    EZ2 and Herpstat 2 will do identical regulation. Same code under the hood. The big differences are:

Herpstat 2 has:
    Night drop with built in clock if you need to drop temps at night.

LCD allows setting exact tenths of a degree and you can see what it is actually getting to. The EZ2 does set in tenths under the hood and the LED indicator gives you a overall idea of temps.

H2 can show you your high and low temps. You can see how much power its applying.

H2 has the safety relay that can be set to turn off all outputs if a high or low alarm is breached.

So there are alot of features the H2 has over the EZ2 but not everyone needs those and as far as temperature control the EZ series is going to do the same job so its a great value. Plus some people just don't want to get involved in changing options in a menu. They want the ease of setting a knob and being done.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

animalrie (11-21-2017),DavidNDC (11-21-2017),dkt2k (05-12-2020),tttaylorrr (11-21-2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12