Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,119

1 members and 3,118 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Chimera!

Thanks

Chimera!

Hey guys!

Just wanted to show off this little gem from my last clutch of this season. Pairing was an Orange Dream Het Red Axanthic 100% Het Pied to a Het Red Axanthic 100% Het Pied. I am really excited to watch her grow and see what she proves out to be.

She has grown a bit since these photos and is developing nice black banding around her saddles. Feel free to like/follow my Facebook page if you want to see updates on her and other animals I have!
    Last edited by Sarin; 11-18-2017 at 10:31 AM.
    ~ Nicole
    www.CanadianRegius.com

Click to Like & Subscribe to Candian Regius!

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Sarin For This Useful Post:

BallPythonWannaBe (11-18-2017),dr del (11-19-2017),Finn0208 (11-18-2017),Godzilla78 (11-18-2017),MissterDog (11-18-2017),PythonBabes (11-18-2017),rufretic (11-18-2017),Starscream (11-18-2017),tttaylorrr (11-21-2017),zina10 (11-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Chimera!

My lord !!! That is simply stunning !!

I even like the little patterns ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 11-18-2017 at 12:48 PM.

Thanks

Re: Chimera!

Wow!! Love the name, and one of the most beautiful snakes I've seen (per my taste at least). So nice!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    Awesome! So it could be an Orange Dream Red Axanthic Pied. Not sure 'Chimera' is the right term, a Chimera is when two embryos join and you get a snake that can't be reproduced (it can have more than the normal two genes max at a specific location). I'm guessing in this case it's probably more of a Paradox (one time freak that can be reproduced genetically but not visually) or perhaps it's inheritable and just polymorphic (colors and patterns vary from snake to snake). I've seen a lot of multiple genes + pied that give really weird color patterns from head to tail, like the snake is made up of slices of different snakes. I'm guessing it could be polymorphism with those specific genes and can be reproduced. Of course the 'Red Axanthic' is more of a super form (het is a misnomer because it's a 'visual recessive' in the heterozygous form) so you won't get another one until you cross it with a het red axanthic het pied and hope for the super and visual recessive!
    Last edited by cchardwick; 11-18-2017 at 03:40 PM.

Thanks

Re: Chimera!

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!!

Quote Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post
    Awesome! So it could be an Orange Dream Red Axanthic Pied. Not sure 'Chimera' is the right term, a Chimera is when two embryos join and you get a snake that can't be reproduced (it can have more than the normal two genes max at a specific location). I'm guessing in this case it's probably more of a Paradox (one time freak that can be reproduced genetically but not visually) or perhaps it's inheritable and just polymorphic (colors and patterns vary from snake to snake). I've seen a lot of multiple genes + pied that give really weird color patterns from head to tail, like the snake is made up of slices of different snakes. I'm guessing it could be polymorphism with those specific genes and can be reproduced. Of course the 'Red Axanthic' is more of a super form (het is a misnomer because it's a 'visual recessive' in the heterozygous form) so you won't get another one until you cross it with a het red axanthic het pied and hope for the super and visual recessive!
    To be honest, I don't think there will be a right term until this girl breeds and I can figure out what genes she's carrying. For now, I have named her Chimera and just labelling her as such until she breeds, and hopefully then I will learn more. I have hatched normal Pieds in the past with what you are describing - some patterns are bright orange and others are brown/orange both on the same snake. it's really interesting, that's for sure! Thank you for your input!
    ~ Nicole
    www.CanadianRegius.com

Click to Like & Subscribe to Candian Regius!