Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,976

2 members and 2,974 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Soaking good or bad??

In one of my BP facebook groups everyone is strictly against soaking their BP's, when I had my BP's about a year ago, I was informed soaking was a good way to help the shedding process (if the snake is having issues) and treat dehydration. If someone dares to suggest soaking it is met with hostility, talking about how you should never EVER soak a BP (even in the event of a bad shed,) They all suggest a "humidity box" which is a similar concept just with wet paper towels/cloths. Is this group just largely biased or is soaking actually not recommended anymore? I don't currently own any snakes (sadly,) but would like to know the truth for when I do finally get another BP, thanks in advance
    Last edited by mystichorseangel; 11-18-2017 at 12:39 AM. Reason: clarification

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 602 Posts
    Soaking is used when a shed has gone poorly. Soaking before a shed removes the oils between the snake's new skin and the old, which can make it harder for them to shed when the time comes. So, shedding isn't bad, but there is a time and place for it.
    0.1 Red Axanthic P. regius | Mazikeen
    E. climacophora | Lan Fan
    C. paulsoni | Inej

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Starscream For This Useful Post:

mystichorseangel (11-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    It depends. At work I will soak mine to get a shed off. Mine shed well at home so I don't need too. I'm not against it unless your snake is not eating. I have heard a vet say soak daily. I'm like ummm what!? Nothing wrong with a soak for a bad shed. However if your husbandry is correct you usually have good sheds so no soak is needed.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

mystichorseangel (11-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 602 Posts
    Please note I meant to say 'soaking' instead of 'shedding' in that last sentence, this is what not proof-reading before I post gets me! Lmao.
    0.1 Red Axanthic P. regius | Mazikeen
    E. climacophora | Lan Fan
    C. paulsoni | Inej

Thanks
    Okay so I'm not crazy, lol. I just found it odd an entire group of hundreds of BP keepers were all strictly against soaking, saying it does no benefit and only stresses snakes, etc. I don't advocate soaking unnecessarily but I personally found my snakes loved a good soak, and it always got off any stubborn stuck shed I've been out of the reptile game for a year now, I was worried I'd miss some big change or something lol

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: Soaking good or bad??

Quote Originally Posted by mystichorseangel View Post
    Okay so I'm not crazy, lol. I just found it odd an entire group of hundreds of BP keepers were all strictly against soaking, saying it does no benefit and only stresses snakes, etc. I don't advocate soaking unnecessarily but I personally found my snakes loved a good soak, and it always got off any stubborn stuck shed I've been out of the reptile game for a year now, I was worried I'd miss some big change or something lol
    I feel the same as you .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BPnet Veteran BallPythonWannaBe's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't know if it's good or bad for them but my snake had a neat perfect shed a week ago. I was using newspaper,and sphagnum moss. I just made sure the moss was damp and the tank sides were misted.
    Last edited by BallPythonWannaBe; 11-18-2017 at 08:54 AM.
    "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live"
    -J.K Rowling Sorcerer's Stone
    Long time no see, back at it again in my white vans.

Thanks
    I let Fírnen soak when he is close to shedding or when he gets one of those weird eye dents lol. He seems to really like it!
    I don’t make him stay in the water, so the soak ends when he’s done. I’ve never had a stuck shed yet, but if I do I will definitely soak him!

Ball Pythons

1.0 Normal (Fírnen)

Wishlist
    Pokigron Suriname BCC
    Mexican Black Kingsnake

Thanks

Mine soak when they choose. I've had several species spanning 4 decades and if my snakes want to soak I say live and let live. This summer my large male climbed up the side of a wading pool and in he went. He was quite at home. Force soaking I have done it for bad sheds. Other than that my snakes decide. Never had a snake drown yet. The Facebook group you refer to.....All I will say is I divorced Facebook a long time ago and couldn't be happier.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts
    My position on this topic is that soaking is, for the most part, at best unnecessary and at worst stressful and dangerous. They just don't need baths. If they don't need it, why waste my time?

As far as shedding goes, the concept that water removes the oil between layers of skin is actually not true. Ball pythons don't even have the glands to produce such oils, so no such oil exists. Shedding is done through an entirely different biological process. You may even find in my old posts talk about such oils, but I was mistaken. Even this old dog can learn new tricks! If someone feels a snake needs to be soaked before a shed to help it along, there are likely a host of other husbandry issues that need to be addressed. Good sheds are not the result of what happens right before they shed - they are the cumulative result of everything in the snake's life between sheds.

If my snakes play Pablo Poo-casso, they get wiped down with a damp cloth. If they have the rare rough shed, they get a quick dip in a sealed, but not air-tight, tub with a small amount of temperature appropriate water for a bit to help things along (only after it becomes obvious they don't be able to do it on their own). There's a pretty good guide here on this forum about that process. That's the extent of the "water-torture" (OK, I'm over exaggerating) I do in my collection.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast