Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,053

4 members and 3,049 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

First time snake rack -- Help!

Hi guys,

I recently got my first ball python in a few years. He's a purple passion spider that eats like a champ and retains weight very well so I would like to breed him with an adult female that I plan on purchasing.

However, while this is not my first time owning and caring for BPs, this will be my first time breeding. I plan on continuing it as a hobby and glass tanks won't cut it for that, so I would like to get a snake rack set-up put together. I have tried to do my research but have not found much out there on this specifically.

Any first time racks that would be good to purchase out there + tips on essentials for a good set-up? I've seen heating tape and other things mentioned but again don't go into much detail. I would appreciate any suggestions/advice out there. Thanks!

Thanks

Re: First time snake rack -- Help!

For me, looking back now, would tell my past self to just buy a premade rack instead of building or retro fitting my own. You save time and money in the long run.

A lot of people seem to like the reptile basics racks, and they are are the most cost effective.
    Another is c serpents hot box racks.
    Im very new to all this so take it as a grain of salt

P.s. Can you post a pic of your guy?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks

I’m somewhat new to bps. My gf has an adult male. I have a yearling male. We ended up buying a 3 tier v70 rack(adult) rack from c serpents. We figured the yearling would grow into it. Turns out v70 tubs are pretty large. Our boys aren’t picky and they were happy in them. However, we just recently got a BEL that is a picky eater. So we just got a vivarium electronics ve-6 from reptile basics. It can accommodate 3 different tub sizes, so if you buy hatchlings you can start them in small tubs and work up. Instead of hoping they grow into a oversized tub. So my recommendation is to go with something like a vivarium electronics rack if you’re gonna stick with a somewhat small collection and then buy a rack that holds v70 size racks for adult females/breeding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

If you’re gonna have a larger collection then you might just wanna buy separate shoebox, 28-32qt, and v70 sized racks. That should cover males and females from hatchlings to full grown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk