Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,109

0 members and 3,109 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

What exo terra terrarium would you suggest?

I have a 752g female bp who I'd like to get a new tank for. I know others would suggest tubs but I only have the one bp and don't plan on upgrading soon (if I did I'd switch to tub anyway) I don't have a hard time with a tank and have learned my ways around the cons with the help of some wonderful people here. I also prefer the look of them.

the exo terra terrariums caught my eye and I'd really like to get one but no idea which size for my girl. I was looking at the large ones but have no idea which. I know tall ones won't do much for a bp since they need floor space instead of height that won't be used much. But I'm stuck between a long and wide one. I've seen people do both successfully but Id like to know your opinions! 😊

Thanks

What exo terra terrarium would you suggest?

It’s funny you say they dont need the height...my enchi Pastel loves her tree and climbs is every night, along with our banana she’s shy so it’s rare I️ can catch her with my phone but it’s really unique to ever BP imo all 4 of my BPs are so unique I️ know their personal preferable atmosphere and they are all different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Aerries; 11-16-2017 at 01:52 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Aerries For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (11-16-2017)

Thanks

Re: What exo terra terrarium would you suggest?

Do you have any pictures? I've never seen my bp climb unless something were off. She does however sleep with her head a little out of her hide cushioned by her body just so she can see what's going on and stuff...as soon as someone else besides me comes in the room she puts her head back in. It's amazing that they all have their own unique personalities! 😄

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 602 Posts
    Climbing:

And a video of mine using her ladder: https://youtu.be/HHTTkopPG_U

If you give them climbing opportunities, they will usually use them. Plus it gives them some exercise! Always a plus for an animal that's prone to being overfed in captivity lol.

If you're going for an adult enclosure I'd get one that's around 4 foot length. I think the exo-terras max out at 3 foot, unfortunately. There are PVC enclosures that get even larger than 4 feet, so that might be something worth looking into. They are also amazing with retaining humidity and heat, from other people's accounts.
    0.1 Red Axanthic P. regius | Mazikeen
    E. climacophora | Lan Fan
    C. paulsoni | Inej

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Starscream For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (11-16-2017),the_rotten1 (11-17-2017)

Thanks
    Glad to see she's still digging the ladder idea.

My male uses his less these days as an adult, but still catch him up there sometimes.

Thanks
    I'd skip the exo terra and go with an AP pvc enclsoure. The exo-terras aren't that great at holding temps due to the all glass sides. I use them for planted terrariums (frogs and geckos) but those species don't require the higher warm side temps that BPs do. If you do decide to go with an exo terra, I would suggust the largest you can get (3'x2' footprint) and maybe the one that is 2' high. You would need to insulate the sides (maybe use pvc or insulation board) on the 3 sides excluding the front. You would need to use a heat pad and possibly a CHE to maintain good hot spot and ambient temps...Just don't place the CHE over glass, it would need to go over the screen and you would most likely need to purchase glass or plexiglass panels to cover the rest of the screen top to hold in humidity.

I would personally go with an Animal Plastics cage as I think it would end up costing you the same or less (considering the modifications you'd need to make on the exo). The PVC cages are also lighter and easier to move, which is a huge plus. I have the biggest exo (3'x2'x3') and it is a beast to move empty. I don't even want to think about having to move it fully planted.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (11-16-2017),SDA (11-16-2017),Stewart_Reptiles (11-16-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 617 Posts
    Carolina Custom Cages recently started selling glass tanks that look similar to Exo Terra, and they make a 4' size. 48X18X24...

https://www.amazon.com/Carolina-Cust...a+custom+cages

I would imagine it's a big job to keep the temps right in here, but if you have your tricks it would make for a nice display.

1.0 Lesser Mojave Ball Python "Neptune"; 1.0 Western Hognose "Murray"

Lizards:
    1.0 Bearded Dragon "Nigel"

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:
    1.0 Emperor Scorpion "Boba"

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:
    "Hazelnut" & "Huckleberry"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to hilabeans For This Useful Post:

Ss laser (11-17-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    They are the same cost and even more than animal plastic T8s or even T10s depending on the size so why not go pvc from the start? Those glass terrariums aren't cheap and you end up with too much work to keep them ideal for ball pythons.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks
    I keep both of my BPs in 36x18x18 Exo-Terras. They are good enclosures, but like others said heat and humidity are an issue. I have no problem with temps (I just use CHEs on each), but humidity takes a lot of tweaking. Im in south Florida, so its not a huge issue, but it is an issue. If I had to start over I would put them in PVC like animal plastics, or more likely homemade PVC enclosures, but IMO they are pretty good enclosures.

For the money, if you haven't gotten enclosures yet animal plastics t10s are about the same price as a new exo-terra 36x18x18, and they are even a little bigger. Could be the way to go.

Good luck

Thanks
    I also want to stay glass tank. Doing a normal 20 long for now
    till the baby BP grows up and do few experiments for heat and humidity. I will always stay glass tank because of where I plan to keep the BP. If I ever need to totally move the habitat I will do a custom build.

I will try to write out a quick thought on moving to a bigger glass tank.

One experiment I want to do is use different wattage bulbs for more or less btu's. Try red bulbs and CHE's to see any temp difference at the same watts. Effects on humidity also. Also placement of the heat lamp on the tank. Over the hot spot/side or more center. I think running on the smaller wattage/btu side will help with humidity and be more even temp. Better regulation and efficiency. 30 x 12 is 360 sq in so I am sure there is a formula for how many btu's are needed. Need to figure that. Then account for the UTH.

I would also like to try a RHE heating from the top? Replace a lamp and be cleaner looking. Not sure if that will even work at all? Not sure yet how there different from a UTH? More research needed.

Another test is size of the UTH. Of course bigger will be needed for a bigger tank. I guess big enough to cover the hot side of the tank? But that might be to big to be efficient. Want to look at that also.

Use a large or even really large water container for max surface area to evaporate water. A pool for the BP. Lol
    At worse use a small humidifier on a large tank. But I hope really controlling my heat can help regulate that.

Going to try plexiglass or maybe a foil bubble wrap insulated heating product to seal the top. Some things there to experiment with.

I also will try to stay with a short 12" tall tank. And only so much width as possible. It just seems to me a taller tank will really make heating and humidity trouble.

I think geographical location and home temp and humidity play a role in designing the correct tank habitat. So not every ones is going to match.
    So for me once I figure it all out I will be happy as will the family BP. I just want a nice clean looking tank to watch our BP.

Good luck OP and update please on what you buy and how you set it up!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast