Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,923

0 members and 2,923 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

BCI and Temperature Gradient

Recently I upgraded my 2 year BCI to a new vision cage from Big Apple Herp. The Cage is the Pro-Series Acrylic and Plastic Enclosure 50 gallon 48"X18"X13". These cages come with a glass bottom screen top and sliding front doors. Currently I have a 50 gallon UTH on the hot side of the enclosure that keeps a solid temperature around 86-90 and I was thinking that would be enough to keep the cage temperatures satisfied but i am having trouble keeping the cold side up to correct heat. On the cold side I am looking at temperatures around 66-72. I was wondering if this is suitable or if I need to bring those temperatures up. Also If i do need to bring those temperatures up I have another UTH that is much smaller and suitable for a 20 gallon tank. Would it be problematic to place the smaller UTH on the cold side to bring up the general temperature. Any tips comments and thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Banned
    Thanks

Re: BCI and Temperature Gradient

Your temperature on the hot side is ok. And on the cool side is low. I can't give an advice on how to bring them up

Thanks

You will need to bring up the temp on the cool side of the enclosure. A UTH will not raise the ambient temp, so I would go with a CHE or RHP.

Thanks
    Reduce the amount of ventilation from the screen top. You’ll have to play with it to see how much you need to cover. I’m guessing your humidity is probably escaping too.

You can buy some acrylic pieces to cover some of the screen top or I’ve heard of people using aluminum tape. Just make sure you don’t use any kind of tape inside the enclosure just the outside.

What are you using to measure the temps and humidity? And you are regulating the heat right?
    Last edited by chip07; 11-16-2017 at 10:30 AM.
    4.5 Chinese Beauty, 1.0 White Sided Rat, 0.1 Suboc, 0.1 Stillwater Hypo Bull, 1.0 50/50 Cal King, 6.7 Corns, 1.2.1 Ball Python, 2.1 Tarahumara Boa, 5.14 BCI, 1.0 Jaguar Carpet, 1.2 Retics, 0.1 Wolf Snake, 1.2 BCC Suriname, 1.1 Ridleyi Beauty, 0.1 False Water Cobra, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 5.4 Parrots, 0.1 Cat, 1.0 Horse

Thanks

To measure temperatures I have 2 thermostats and a thermometer gun. I have one 50 gallon UTH on the hot side and for ambient I use a dome lamp with a CHE. I have heard a lot of talk about RHP for this size of tank what size would be efficient.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Like mentioned, you need a RHP and you need to cover like 90% of the top.

And a UTH is not going to heat the air that much.

I keep my cool sides for all my boas around 78-82F depending on the day and room temp. I only use flexwatt for them with a 90F hot spot. Humidity is around 70%

As for what size RHP, i would say either a 120 watt from Reptile Basics or call Bob at Pro Products and he will find the size you need. Reptile Basics uses ABS plastic bodies while Pro Products uses an aluminum body.

And to answer your question, 66-72F is too cold for a constant temp. I've had my temps drop to 70F during power outages for a few hours which is fine but i wouldnt keep them that cold permanently.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie