Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,238

3 members and 3,235 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Salazar Progression Thread (my first BP!)

Had been researching bps for a couple years in preparation of getting one. Finally got to that point and this guy happened to need a home! Perfect timing, right? We adopted Sal from a friend who was moving across country and didn't want to put him through the move. He's about 4 years old (her best guess) - she got him from a breeder 2 years ago who didn't want him because he "wasn't growing fast enough and didn't eat." Sounds like a winner, right? He hasn't had any eating problems that I can tell, and ate fine for my friend... Anyways! He's just a spider but it's one of my favorite genes and his pattern is so clean and beautiful. His wobble is only apparent when he's being handled, no problems striking/eating/moving around the enclosure. We will be moving him to a DIY melamine enclosure this weekend from a glass 36x18x16 (hate the lack of heat/humidity retention, I'm having to work really hard to keep temps stable). The new enclosure will be 36x16x16 heated with a CHE on a thermostat and if needed an UTH under the warm side (also on a thermostat obviously). Right now he has lights on a 12/12 timer. He's been doing great, can't wait to get him used to being handled again. Very inquisitive boy I'm sure he will be a joy once he's more comfortable. Waiting until he poops to get a weight on him. But I'm over the moon in love! Sorry for the crappy iPhone pic, I'll post better quality with my real camera after a few handling sessions when we're more comfortable with one another.

Edit: I'll be posting pics of the build/finished cage here for anyone who's curious!
    Last edited by lizzieholla; 11-14-2017 at 09:08 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lizzieholla For This Useful Post:

Ashley96 (11-20-2017),C.Marie (12-04-2017),DavidNDC (11-14-2017)

Thanks

Re: Salazar Progression Thread (my first BP!)

Great looking spider you have there and great you were able to help a friend out. Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidNDC For This Useful Post:

lizzieholla (11-14-2017)

Thanks

Thanks so much! I'm so excited to have him. The temptation to handle him during his first couple weeks here is overwhelming, I feel like a kid who knows what they're getting for Christmas but can't actually open the gift until Christmas day. This pic is from having him out for just a minute while we rearranged something in his enclosure. Can't wait for a long and happy friendship.
    Last edited by lizzieholla; 11-14-2017 at 09:33 PM.

Thanks

Good lookin spider, I have one as well I'm in NC also, planning to go to repticon in Raleigh this weekend?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

0.1 75% Kalatoa 12.5% Jampea Super Dwarf Retic - Enyo
    0.1 62.5% Purple Phase Jampea - Eris
    1.0 Platron Sunfire Mainland - Hades
    0.1 Albino Suntiger - Xena
    0.1 Platinum Citron Sunfire Albino - Aphrodite

"Animals are not property or things but rather living organisms, subjects of a life, who are worthy of our compassion, respect, friendship and support."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to oodaT For This Useful Post:

lizzieholla (11-15-2017)

Thanks

Yes! We live in Raleigh as well! I was going to pick up a bag of feeders and check out the equipment. Not sure which day we're going yet, though... Where do you get your feeders btw? I have enough to last nearly a year if he eats every week but just in case something happened and I needed to buy some before the next repticon. I know our exotics vet sells them but they're nearly a 30min drive from us.

Thanks

Down the hatch!

DIY viv. So far a dream to work with compared to the glass. Holds temp and humidity perfectly. High vent on cool side and low vent on warm side draws air across the enclosure keeping it from getting stagnant. Substrate is reptichip. Cool side ambient 80, warm side ambient 87 with a warm spot on the hide (90) and under the hide (88). UTH on the warm side along with a CHE to supplement ambient temp. Humidity holding steady around 62% (per accurite). I also have an infrared temp gun.

Got a pre-meal weight on him (617g), and got to see him stretched out fully in the enclosure, he's right around 38". I can already tell such a difference in how comfortable he is being fully enclosed. He's out and about way more often at night, and uses the branches and every inch of the viv. So good to see. Cheers to a happy BP with a full belly.
    Last edited by lizzieholla; 11-18-2017 at 01:33 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lizzieholla For This Useful Post:

DavidNDC (11-18-2017)

Thanks

Very nice setup!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidNDC For This Useful Post:

lizzieholla (11-19-2017)

Thanks

Thanks! All the materials cost about $70. We used melamine pre-cut boards that were 36x16, acrylic panels, cabinet hinges and latches, silicone, and two vents. We already had all the power tools necessary (drill, circular saw, and jigsaw), but we did buy a forsner bit to drill the hole for the CHE fixture. Not including letting the silicone cure overnight it took about 2 hours to build. I may eventually splurge on an AP cage but this works just fine for the foreseeable future.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to lizzieholla For This Useful Post:

DavidNDC (11-19-2017)

Thanks
    Love the snake and the setup! I love cute snake adoption stories I cannot wait to see some more pics of Salazar once he is comfortable in his new digs. He is going to be a spoiled boy.

|Pascal ~ Pastel Banana BP | Noodle ~ Banana BP |Picasso ~ Sinaloan Milksnake |

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ashley96 For This Useful Post:

lizzieholla (11-21-2017)

Thanks

He definitely is! We've started doing regular handling and he's so much more comfortable with me already even after just a few. Our first session it took him a couple minutes to come out of his ball and explore. Now as soon as he flicks a few times and smells me, he begins exploring straightaway. I'm always careful to let him know I'm going to pick him up by gently removing the hide if he's under it and lightly touching underneath him before I actually lift him. So far his favorite passtimes include using my arms as jungle gyms and exploring all of the coats and bags on the coat rack. We've gotten up to 20 min of out time, I give him the option to go back into his enclosure every 5 min or so to make sure he never feels trapped or stressed while being out. I want it to be his choice to explore and interact if he wants to.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to lizzieholla For This Useful Post:

Ashley96 (11-22-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast