Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,974

3 members and 2,971 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    I live in GA and it costs me about $55 to ship each AP cage. It may be a little more for a T25 though, due to size.

Tubs make keeping proper humidity easy and also make cleaning easy... So great to be able to take the tubs outside and hose them out, wash them, etc. I know people that have used the Iris Christmas Tree tub as their male boa's permanent housing (if they stay small enough). I used a large tub to house my BCA and skink while I waited on their adult caging also.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Re: Favorite enclosure?

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    I live in GA and it costs me about $55 to ship each AP cage. It may be a little more for a T25 though, due to size.

Tubs make keeping proper humidity easy and also make cleaning easy... So great to be able to take the tubs outside and hose them out, wash them, etc. I know people that have used the Iris Christmas Tree tub as their male boa's permanent housing (if they stay small enough). I used a large tub to house my BCA and skink while I waited on their adult caging also.
    It also only costs me $55 to ship T8 and T10. T25s are considered 'oversized' and cant be shipped through FedEx or UPS. They have to go through a freight company, Estes Freight to be exact. Thats why its more combined with it having to go over the mountains. Thats what Ali told me.

The T25s come on a huge pallet that has to be pallet jacked. When i got my 3, it weighed a ton. The driver had to pallet jack it from the front while i pushed it from the back so we could get it into my garage. Then he waited while i checked the glass doors to make sure they werent broken and no other damage was done.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 11-16-2017 at 08:05 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Codil7 View Post
    Yeah I completely agree with you there. I’m just hours into this tub setup being complete and I can already tell I’m going to like it more than the vivarium attempt. Much easier upkeep for a fraction of the cost. I went from thinking “I can’t imagine trying to do this with multiple snakes”, to “I can’t wait to do this with multiple snakes” haha. Should have went this route long before now.

I live in south central Kentucky. I did a little research and I believe it’s going to cost me about $50-70 to ship. Depending on size. Not awful, but with everything else considered, it’s not exactly pocket change either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well if you are thinking about the T25s, they arent $50-70. Thats for the T8s and T10s. The T25s and larger, you actually have to call Ali to get a price quote for shipping based on your zip code. Like i mentioned above, they have to go by freight, UPS or FedEx cant ship that big. I'm going to have to call Ali and ask what the shipping is going to be on a T65, the 8x3x18 cage as i will probably need one for my retic next summer haha.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    I'm definitely getting Animal Plastics next for my dumeril's boa and scrub python. They look really nice stacked, especially the white ones imo, and are VERY cheap for their quality!

After having melamine and ugly tubs, I'm kind of over it and just want AP/stackable PVC for everything from now on LOL.
    White cages stain a lot easier and every smudge or anything shows up glaringly on it. That was my experience when i had white Constrictor NW aka Proline cages. Just a little thought. I really didnt think about it until i had them and after a few years, it was clearly apparent. That is why i went with the black ones for AP haha.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Well if you are thinking about the T25s, they arent $50-70. Thats for the T8s and T10s. The T25s and larger, you actually have to call Ali to get a price quote for shipping based on your zip code. Like i mentioned above, they have to go by freight, UPS or FedEx cant ship that big. I'm going to have to call Ali and ask what the shipping is going to be on a T65, the 8x3x18 cage as i will probably need one for my retic next summer haha.
    I really might consider building my own. Yes it would be nice to have something made by s reputable company, but my construction experience I’m sure would allow me to create something of worth for a fraction of the cost. Could be a fun winter project lol. My biggest concern would be making something that would work with manufactured heat panels. Do they just bolt on to the side/top of the enclosure?

1.0 Catahoula (Easton)
    1.0 Chocolate Lab/Weimeraner (Gunner)
    0.1 Black Pewter het Albino (Arya)
    0.1 BCI (Kaiya)

Thanks

I really might consider building my own. Yes it would be nice to have something made by s reputable company, but my construction experience I’m sure would allow me to create something of worth for a fraction of the cost. Could be a fun winter project lol. My biggest concern would be making something that would work with manufactured heat panels. Do they just bolt on to the side/top of the enclosure?

Yes, they just bolt or screw onto the inside top of the cage on one side or the other. Then you drill a hole to let the plug wire pass through to the outside and thats it. Pretty much anything will work for them like PVC, wood, acrylic etc.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Codil7 (11-16-2017)

Thanks

Yes, they just bolt or screw onto the inside top of the cage on one side or the other. Then you drill a hole to let the plug wire pass through to the outside and thats it. Pretty much anything will work for them like PVC, wood, acrylic etc.
    How does wood hold heat/humidity compared to pvc? I feel like wood would be cheaper all around but if it’s not effective then I would consider all options.

1.0 Catahoula (Easton)
    0.1 BCI (Kaiya)

Thanks

How does wood hold heat/humidity compared to pvc? I feel like wood would be cheaper all around but if it’s not effective then I would consider all options.

Wood will hold heat decent as long as you arent trying to heat from the outside in like with flexwatt. Also wood has to be sealed very well or it will warp and rot from the humidity and snake piss. Also wood is a lot heavier than PVC and harder to clean.

PVC is superior imo. Light, easy to drill and work with. Easy to clean and wont absorb liquids or chemicals. Easy to heat through with flexwatt. Also i'm not sure but i think sheets of PVC and wood are about the same or PVC might be cheaper. Now i'm talking good quality wood, not void filled, warped, cheap sheets of siding plywood lol.

Also there is different grades of PVC. You want a dense PVC like the stuff AP uses. I think some other cages use cheaper stuff which is more like a shell with a foam core which is lighter but also not as strong.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 11-16-2017 at 09:17 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Codil7 (11-16-2017)

Thanks

Wood will hold heat decent as long as you arent trying to heat from the outside in like with flexwatt. Also wood has to be sealed very well or it will warp and rot from the humidity and snake piss. Also wood is a lot heavier than PVC and harder to clean.

PVC is superior imo. Light, easy to drill and work with. Easy to clean and wont absorb liquids or chemicals. Easy to heat through with flexwatt. Also i'm not sure but i think sheets of PVC and wood are about the same or PVC might be cheaper. Now i'm talking good quality wood, not void filled, warped, cheap sheets of siding plywood lol.

Also there is different grades of PVC. You want a dense PVC like the stuff AP uses. I think some other cages use cheaper stuff which is more like a shell with a foam core which is lighter but also not as strong.
    Gotcha. Thanks for the info! I’m going to spend some time searching for those sheets of PVC then. I checked Lowe’s and they didn’t have any large enough. The biggest they had was roughly 1x8. Almost like slim cut paneling. I’m going to try Home Depot this weekend and see if they have anything that would work. I’ve seen many people make their own with it so clearly this stuff has to be somewhat easily accessible lol.

1.0 Catahoula (Easton)
    0.1 BCI (Kaiya)

Banned
    Thanks

I have just finished 4 wooden enclosures for my snakes. My BCI got the biggest one. I sealed them from the inside. I find wood very good, i use belly heating and i had to drill holes to pass the heat cable inside, with wood you can do that. Humidity is not a problem with wooden enclosures. Yes they are heavy. The bigger the enclosure is, the harder will be to move it.
    Last edited by Dutti; 11-17-2017 at 10:25 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast