Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,899

2 members and 2,897 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Favorite enclosure?

So with the recent purchase of my 0.1 BI, I’ve began looking for enclosures for once she’s begun putting on some serious size. Currently at 3ish feet, I have her in a 20 long and it seems to fit her perfectly. But I’ve definitely come to realize the struggles of heat/humidity in an aquarium style setup.

So what are some of your favorite go-to enclosures for full grown boas? I figured Christmas would be as good a time as any to lock down that future enclosure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Catahoula (Easton)
    1.0 Chocolate Lab/Weimeraner (Gunner)
    0.1 Black Pewter het Albino (Arya)
    0.1 BCI (Kaiya)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Animal Plastics cages. Sliding glass doors, locks, shelves, LEDs and flexwatt.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Codil7 (11-14-2017),MissterDog (11-14-2017)

Thanks

Re: Favorite enclosure?

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Animal Plastics cages. Sliding glass doors, locks, shelves, LEDs and flexwatt.
    Which size do you recommend? I’d assume any of the 48” models would be fine, but what about height preference? I see where they have a deal going for their 15” model but I feel that might be a little short.

1.0 Catahoula (Easton)
    0.1 BCI (Kaiya)

Thanks
    Everything Sauzo said. For a female boa, if you are wanting to get a cage that will work for her life, then I'd go with something a little bigger than their 4'x2' footprint cages. I'd go with at least a T13 (4'x30"x 18"). A T25 would give you even more assurance that it would be large enough for her as a fully grown adult.

I use T10 and T11 for my boas, but all of mine are males that will typically stay smaller than females will. I get the sliding glass doors with locks, the basking shelves, heat tape, and the recessed LED lighting (that one isn't on the website, you have to call and ask).

I have been extremely happy with my AP cages they are very well made.. Just be prepared to wait the ~3-4 months it will take for it to be built.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

6. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Codil7 (11-14-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    Everything Sauzo said. For a female boa, if you are wanting to get a cage that will work for her life, then I'd go with something a little bigger than their 4'x2' footprint cages. I'd go with at least a T13 (4'x30"x 18"). A T25 would give you even more assurance that it would be large enough for her as a fully grown adult.

I use T10 and T11 for my boas, but all of mine are males that will typically stay smaller than females will. I get the sliding glass doors with locks, the basking shelves, heat tape, and the recessed LED lighting (that one isn't on the website, you have to call and ask).

I have been extremely happy with my AP cages they are very well made.. Just be prepared to wait the ~3-4 months it will take for it to be built.
    They seem like some really nice quality enclosures. I doubt I’m going to be able to land $500 worth of product right off for Christmas so maybe I’ll just start with the shell/shelf and work my way up from there. It’s probably going to be over a year before she will need something of that size anyways. I have a 40 gal breeder setup just in case I need a “tweener” cage, but like I said, I’m trying to get away from aquariums.

1.0 Catahoula (Easton)
    0.1 BCI (Kaiya)

Thanks
    Personally, I would do a T25 which is 72x30x18. I have T10s and T8s also but unless you want to upgrade in a few years, might as well just start large now lol. Here is a pic of the T25s. And to give you a size comparison, they boa on the bottom is Rosey who is 6.5' long and you can see she doubles the width and her body stretches back and bends at the edge of the hide. So she has plenty of room in there to stretch out. And on the top, you can Caesar crammed into his hide sleeping lol.

And here are the T10s and T8s. The T8s are on top. And then I got another mini stack of T10s and T8s but this should give you a size idea between them.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 11-14-2017 at 05:05 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Codil7 (11-16-2017)

Thanks

Personally, I would do a T25 which is 72x30x18. I have T10s and T8s also but unless you want to upgrade in a few years, might as well just start large now lol. Here is a pic of the T25s. And to give you a size comparison, they boa on the bottom is Rosey who is 6.5' long and you can see she doubles the width and her body stretches back and bends at the edge of the hide. So she has plenty of room in there to stretch out. And on the top, you can Caesar crammed into his hide sleeping lol.

And here are the T10s and T8s. The T8s are on top. And then I got another mini stack of T10s and T8s but this should give you a size idea between them.
    Yeah that T25 seems to be the right move in the end. I like to have what I need and not have to think twice about upgrading.

So for months I fought this 20 gal long enclosure and did everything I could to try and get the correct temp/humidity and never could get it where I wanted it. Don’t get me wrong, it looked great. It just didn’t give me the results I was looking for.
    I tried that setup for a while and eventually ended up switching over to a CHE and moved it to the left side of the enclosure over the heat pad. Still didn’t work right.

Today I got fed up and decided to try the tub system. Funny enough, I managed to get the perfect climate on the first try. This was done with a 60 quart tub. Of course she won’t be able to stay in this forever, but at least her conditions will remain stable and make my life a whole lot easier. I plan to start saving immediately for the T25 so I’ll have that by the time she outgrows this. S/O to the forum for giving me all kinds of great ideas on how to make it work .

1.0 Catahoula (Easton)
    0.1 BCI (Kaiya)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Codil7 View Post
    Yeah that T25 seems to be the right move in the end. I like to have what I need and not have to think twice about upgrading.

So for months I fought this 20 gal long enclosure and did everything I could to try and get the correct temp/humidity and never could get it where I wanted it. Don’t get me wrong, it looked great. It just didn’t give me the results I was looking for.
    I tried that setup for a while and eventually ended up switching over to a CHE and moved it to the left side of the enclosure over the heat pad. Still didn’t work right.

Today I got fed up and decided to try the tub system. Funny enough, I managed to get the perfect climate on the first try. This was done with a 60 quart tub. Of course she won’t be able to stay in this forever, but at least her conditions will remain stable and make my life a whole lot easier. I plan to start saving immediately for the T25 so I’ll have that by the time she outgrows this. S/O to the forum for giving me all kinds of great ideas on how to make it work .

Yeah funny part is tubs/racks are probably the 2nd easiest things to set up right. I just hate them because you can see the snake.

Your 20g looks nice but it boils down to the welfare of the snake first and foremost. Kind of why my set ups are more minimalistic. I like being able to find poops and pisses easy and having easy time spot cleaning. The natural look is awesome but again for me with 8 snakes. so much quicker to just slide open the doors, pet the snakes, sniff inside for a poop or piss and then move on to the next cage lol.

As for the cages, not sure where you are but to ship across the mountains to Washington State was pretty expensive. Even with the discount of shipping 3 cages, i think i still paid a little over $300 in shipping alone.

Thanks

Yeah funny part is tubs/racks are probably the 2nd easiest things to set up right. I just hate them because you can see the snake.

Your 20g looks nice but it boils down to the welfare of the snake first and foremost. Kind of why my set ups are more minimalistic. I like being able to find poops and pisses easy and having easy time spot cleaning. The natural look is awesome but again for me with 8 snakes. so much quicker to just slide open the doors, pet the snakes, sniff inside for a poop or piss and then move on to the next cage lol.

As for the cages, not sure where you are but to ship across the mountains to Washington State was pretty expensive. Even with the discount of shipping 3 cages, i think i still paid a little over $300 in shipping alone.
    Yeah I completely agree with you there. I’m just hours into this tub setup being complete and I can already tell I’m going to like it more than the vivarium attempt. Much easier upkeep for a fraction of the cost. I went from thinking “I can’t imagine trying to do this with multiple snakes”, to “I can’t wait to do this with multiple snakes” haha. Should have went this route long before now.

I live in south central Kentucky. I did a little research and I believe it’s going to cost me about $50-70 to ship. Depending on size. Not awful, but with everything else considered, it’s not exactly pocket change either.

1.0 Catahoula (Easton)
    0.1 BCI (Kaiya)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    I'm definitely getting Animal Plastics next for my dumeril's boa and scrub python. They look really nice stacked, especially the white ones imo, and are VERY cheap for their quality!

After having melamine and ugly tubs, I'm kind of over it and just want AP/stackable PVC for everything from now on LOL.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 11-16-2017 at 04:10 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast