Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,977

1 members and 2,976 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Finally Made up my mind

So for years I've thought that I wanted a piebald as my next snake (when I could afford it of course - pieds remain above what I am willing to spend on a pet - housing not included) but at the recent show I went to I actually got to see a bunch of them of all ages in person - and found a morph that I never thought about and now would rather have as my final snake. An Ivory. I always figured that they were basically like a BEL complex - which I don't really like. But there were several adults (5-8 years) that still had their grey heads, yellowish eye-lines, and faint yellow patterns. The eyes are described as blue, but you have to look close - I think that they are absolutely stunning - so that's what I've settled on.

Now to the question: My 2 year old male is 1060g an in a T11 which at the point is a perfect size for him (unless he gets huge -lol), but as I am looking to get a female and they are bigger than males, would a T11 also suffice or would they eventually out grow it (I'm thinking T25 for my planned space)?
    Also do most females stay on small rats or do they usually up grade to mediums?

*I have no intention of breeding*

I know that many people think a T8 is fine, but I like to have 3 to 4 hides, large river rocks, natural branches, and I use a 10" pyrex pie dish as a water bowl. I would like an enclosure that could fit all of this but at large female size (I am assuming she would need bigger hides as an adult due to girth). I know this is premature, but I like to have a plan and savings budget all in place as well as all questions out of the way BEFORE getting the snake.
    Last edited by Crowfingers; 11-14-2017 at 12:08 PM.
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: Finally Made up my mind

Quote Originally Posted by Crowfingers View Post
    So for years I've thought that I wanted a piebald as my next snake (when I could afford it of course - pieds remain above what I am willing to spend on a pet - housing not included) but at the recent show I went to I actually got to see a bunch of them of all ages in person - and found a morph that I never thought about and now would rather have as my final snake. An Ivory. I always figured that they were basically like a BEL complex - which I don't really like. But there were several adults (5-8 years) that still had their grey heads, yellowish eye-lines, and faint yellow patterns. The eyes are described as blue, but you have to look close - I think that they are absolutely stunning - so that's what I've settled on.

Now to the question: My 2 year old male is 1060g an in a T11 which at the point is a perfect size for him (unless he gets huge -lol), but as I am looking to get a female and they are bigger than males, would a T11 also suffice or would they eventually out grow it (I'm thinking T25 for my planned space)?

I know that many people think a T8 is fine, but I like to have 3 to 4 hides, large river rocks, natural branches, and I use a 10" pyrex pie dish as a water bowl. I would like an enclosure that could fit all of this but at large female size (I am assuming she would need bigger hides as an adult due to girth). I know this is premature, but I like to have a plan and savings budget all in place as well as all questions out of the way BEFORE getting the snake.
    a full-grown female beep will fit just fine in a T8. i can't remember their username but someone has plenty of photos of their female Piebald Dottie in a T8. will edit in a second.
    EDIT: here's Dottie's thread!

for reference: Yellow's T8, he has 3 medium RBI hides (used to be 3 large RBI hides, that's another story), plants, decor, huge water bowl, a branch, with plenty of room for more.

females easily get up to medium rats, so i'd prepare for that.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 11-14-2017 at 12:26 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 602 Posts
    At this point, enclosure size is a matter of preference. I plan on getting at least a T20 for Maze's final enclosure, but most say that the 4 foot enclosures work just fine. I like the length of the cage to be greater than the snake, though that's just personal preference.
    0.1 Red Axanthic P. regius | Mazikeen
    E. climacophora | Lan Fan
    C. paulsoni | Inej

Thanks
    The general rule of thumb for enclosures is a footprint that adds up to at least the length of the snake. Most BPs, even females, will only get about 5'... a 4'x2' enclosure should be enough floor space for a 6' snake. I currently have T10 and T11s. My largest snake is a BCA that is ~5.5' long and he has plenty of room to roam in his T11. he has 2 large RBI hides, a cat litter pan for a water bowl (large enough to soak in) and a climbing branch. That said, I did opt to get the basking shelf option on all my cages and I will often see them stretch out on the shelf to it's full length. I think if you want to give more room, the shelf would help.

That said, a 4'x30" footprint cage would give you more room for positioning hides differently and decor.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

are u sure that u are describing an Ivory (aka Super Yellowbelly)? an Ivory has black eyes w/ red pupils: http://www.worldofballpythons.com/morphs/ivory

i think u might be describing a yellowed out Super Mojave: http://www.worldofballpythons.com/morphs/super-mojave

both have variations and some Super Mojaves do have yellows or gain them as they age. the also have the blueish-silverish eyes as they are a BEL.

i think a T8 is fine. u can always declutter the cage to adjust for her size. but if u are really invested in a natural decorative enclosure, the T25 u want works in the long run. AP just makes a big jump in length from the T8 to the T20/T25.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks

[QUOTE=Ax01;2575192]are u sure that u are describing an Ivory (aka Super Yellowbelly)? an Ivory has black eyes w/ red pupils: http://www.worldofballpythons.com/morphs/ivory

i think u might be describing a yellowed out Super Mojave: http://www.worldofballpythons.com/morphs/super-mojave

Yeah, Ivory - when I read this post ( http://www.ralphdavisreptiles.com/matrix/traits/ivory.asp ) from back when it was first produced it describes drak blue eyes, but the ones I looked at at the show seemed to have black eyes with red pupils. Either way, I really like the faint patterns that they retain - especially around the face. Pure white / pale heads on some of the morphs look too odd for me - I like the grey cap. One that I have my eye on is an Ivory poss enchi and she is just darling.
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    Personally I'd get a female Pastel Ivory. It would probably cost you the same, you couldn't even tell the pastel was in there (one of the parents has to be a super pastel to know for sure). If you ever had to get rid of the snake for some reason or decided to breed it that combo would be fantastic for Highway / Freeway combos. The pastel in there makes Freeways look amazing. I think when most people throw down $700 for an adult pastel ivory female they are thinking Freeway!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:

Crowfingers (11-14-2017)

Thanks

lol -I would hope to never have to re-home my snakes! Really as long as it has a smudgy head (vs mostly white) and has some faint patterning, I don't think genetics will play into my choice. I mainly want a female for the size difference, I originally thought that 1500 g sounded big (I've only had ribbon snakes and de'kays before this) and 4000 sounded huge, so I went for a male...now though...I want a BIG girl lol