Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,056

2 members and 3,054 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Jeffree is soaking.

His shed went wayyy! Better than the first one last time barely any came off on its own this time majority of it came off except a little on his head and neck.. humidity is the hardest thing to keep with the stupid heat lamp for the most part the humidity was 70-71% but would dip down to 60 overnight. December 1st I'm placing the order for his pvc enclosure 80 watt rhp, heat tape and herpstat 2 redline. My question though will a pvc enclosure be good for keeping the humidity more stable? I'm gonna be so happy to say good bye to mr heat lamp

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to omglolchrisss For This Useful Post:

Ashleigh91 (11-14-2017)

Thanks

Re: Jeffree is soaking.

Quote Originally Posted by omglolchrisss View Post
    His shed went wayyy! Better than the first one last time barely any came off on its own this time majority of it came off except a little on his head and neck.. humidity is the hardest thing to keep with the stupid heat lamp for the most part the humidity was 70-71% but would dip down to 60 overnight. December 1st I'm placing the order for his pvc enclosure 80 watt rhp, heat tape and herpstat 2 redline. My question though will a pvc enclosure be good for keeping the humidity more stable? I'm gonna be so happy to say good bye to mr heat lamp

It should be better at holding humidity. I'm planning on switching Calliope to a T8 soon too lol. From what I've read it's a lot better at holding humidity, so much that people have told me to get ready to switch over from cocofiber to aspen since cocofiber holds humidity too well for a PVC. I don't know for certain but research has told me it'll be way better for humidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Normal BP "Calliope"
    0.1 Hypo Leopard Gecko “El”
    1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko “Axle”
    0.0.1 Poecilotheria Regalis
    0.0.1 Poecilotheri Subfusca
    1.0 Siamese mix cat “Kurt”
    1.0 DLH Cat “Vodka”
    0.0.1 Suriname Red Tail Boa

"I’m just more comfortable with fauna and flora than with other humans."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to OneEyedFox For This Useful Post:

omglolchrisss (11-14-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    IMO PVC is the BEST material at keeping humidity. you're going to be amazed at how nice PVC enclosures are.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (11-14-2017),omglolchrisss (11-14-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    IMO PVC is the BEST material at keeping humidity. you're going to be amazed at how nice PVC enclosures are.
    Ditto....I've never had an issue w/ humidity w/ my PVC (unless it's been two high of a number)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedFox View Post
    It should be better at holding humidity. I'm planning on switching Calliope to a T8 soon too lol. From what I've read it's a lot better at holding humidity, so much that people have told me to get ready to switch over from cocofiber to aspen since cocofiber holds humidity too well for a PVC. I don't know for certain but research has told me it'll be way better for humidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's what I like to hear!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    That's great!! I love the way they look too! I would have made the switch sooner but didn't have the money so now I'm gonna do it and call it my early Christmas present to myself haha his new setup is gonna cost me around $1000!! I don't care though nothing is too good for my lil baby
    Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Ditto....I've never had an issue w/ humidity w/ my PVC (unless it's been two high of a number)
    AWESOME!! I'm happy to hear That!!

Thanks

Before. During soak. And after!

Thanks

My question though will a pvc enclosure be good for keeping the humidity more stable? I'm gonna be so happy to say good bye to mr heat lamp

Yes.

Yes.

and

.....YES!

The moment I switched to PVC enclosures years ago I noticed my hygrometer start reading in the 55% range with newspaper substrate and a small water bowl on the cool side of the enclosure. If I would have setup newspaper in a glass tank my humidity would have been somewhere around 20-30%.

PVC cages hold humidity so well that once I started realizing my cages never read anything different than 50-60%, I rarely check them anymore.

Just keep in mind that substrates you once loved in glass tanks (Eco earth, coconut fiber, cypress mulch) will often give you TOO much humidity in PVC.....so for me I discovered substrates like aspen, kraft paper, and newspaper are much better for me personally to hit my 50-60% mark.

After YEARS of battling glass tanks for proper humidity, I was one happy keeper.

With you being in Ontario, and me being in Wisconsin we shouldn't have drastically different humidity levels I would think.
    Last edited by KevinK; 11-14-2017 at 01:07 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KevinK For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (11-14-2017),omglolchrisss (11-14-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    I hope I am not the only one that kind of likes peeling off stuck shed. It's like peeling off those plastic film pieces on electronic stuff.

I think you saw my write up when I put together my pvc cage. If not I wrote about the first few weeks of having it. I can tell you in about a week how well they do for shedding as Dante is deep in blue now and I haven't touched the humidity and it sits steady at 70%.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Yes.

Yes.

and

.....YES!

The moment I switched to PVC enclosures years ago I noticed my hygrometer start reading in the 55% range with newspaper substrate and a small water bowl on the cool side of the enclosure. If I would have setup newspaper in a glass tank my humidity would have been somewhere around 20-30%.

PVC cages hold humidity so well that once I started realizing my cages never read anything different than 50-60%, I rarely check them anymore.

Just keep in mind that substrates you once loved in glass tanks (Eco earth, coconut fiber, cypress mulch) will often give you TOO much humidity in PVC.....so for me I discovered substrates like aspen, kraft paper, and newspaper are much better for me personally to hit my 50-60% mark.

After YEARS of battling glass tanks for proper humidity, I was one happy keeper.

With you being in Ontario, and me being in Wisconsin we shouldn't have drastically different humidity levels I would think.
    That's AWESOME!
    Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    I hope I am not the only one that kind of likes peeling off stuck shed. It's like peeling off those plastic film pieces on electronic stuff.

I think you saw my write up when I put together my pvc cage. If not I wrote about the first few weeks of having it. I can tell you in about a week how well they do for shedding as Dante is deep in blue now and I haven't touched the humidity and it sits steady at 70%.
    Lol it is fun to peel I just hate having to help him shed manually because I know he's not too fond of it! Also putting him in the tub to soak him I feel so bad Putting the lid on

Thanks

pvc enclosure 80 watt rhp, heat tape
    Just out of curiosity, why both? In speaking with Bob over at ProProducts he indicated the 80w RHP would be plenty for the T10 I ordered. Is the heat tape for backup or do you need it for supplemental heat?
    Last edited by DavidNDC; 11-14-2017 at 04:14 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidNDC For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast