Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,464

2 members and 3,462 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Question Corn Snake morph help

I just adopted this beauty and her previous owner told me she is a normal corn and while i do not care at all for the morh im just really curious!.

Ive looked through the normal variations for corns but none seem to fit her?
    maybe its because im very inexperienced with corn morph identification.

Also, she has these two symmetrical dark brown/blackish stripes going down her whole back started from the bottom of her head, is this normally seen in normal morph corns?

here are some pictures!

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Congrats on the corn! They are such great snakes. As far as morph, I agree it's a normal. The grey background coloration with burnt orange saddles looks similar to 'miami phase' which was selective bred locality coloration of a normal. (I hope that made sense!)

edit to add - oh and that shadowy stripes down the back, yes, normal type of darkening that can happen.
    Last edited by AbsoluteApril; 11-13-2017 at 03:42 PM.
    For the Horde!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (11-13-2017),Kikary (11-13-2017)

Thanks

Question

thanks!
    i had looked through the normal phases but couldn't settle on one, was almost settling on Carolina phase? (if im not mistaken xD)

also is it possible to know if a corn has any het from how it looks?

Also adopted a 3 month corn and the previous rescuer said the info he had from the original owner was amel poss het anery

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Corn Snake morph help

Quote Originally Posted by Kikary View Post
    thanks!
    i had looked through the normal phases but couldn't settle on one, was almost settling on Carolina phase? (if im not mistaken xD)

also is it possible to know if a corn has any het from how it looks?
    Carolina phase is normal. Okeetee and Miami phases are not normals (IMO). Nobody has worked out the genetics of those phases, though.

Many herpers define heterozygous (AKA het) as having a gene pair made up of a normal gene and a recessive mutant gene. Such snakes appear normal. Standard genetics defines heterozygous as having a gene pair made up of two different genes. In other words, the gene pair may be made up of a normal gene and a recessive mutant gene, a normal gene and a dominant mutant gene, a normal gene and a codominant mutant gene, or two different mutant genes. Only a snake with a gene pair made up a normal gene and a recessive mutant gene would look normal. The rest would not look normal. Most corn snake mutant genes are recessive to the corresponding normal gene. Tessera and buf and maybe one or two other corn snake mutants are not recessive mutant genes.

Codominant mutant genes produce morphs where we can infer what genes are present in a given gene pair. I don't know which (if any) corn snake mutant genes are codominant to the corresponding normal gene. There may be better information at www.cornsnakes.com.

By the way, the normal gene is the gene most commonly occurring in a given gene pair in the wild. A mutant gene is a gene that is NOT the gene most commonly occurring in a given gene pair in the wild.

Quote Originally Posted by Kikary View Post
    Also adopted a 3 month corn and the previous rescuer said the info he had from the original owner was amel poss het anery.
    Amelanistic (AKA amel) corn snakes have pink eyes and lack black pigment in the skin. IMO, that snake is an amel. I can't tell about the possible het anery. It's a pretty snake, though.

Good luck with those corns.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to paulh For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (11-13-2017)

Thanks
    thank you all!!