Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,140

4 members and 3,136 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rhinoraxx?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Rhinoraxx?

Does anyone have experience with Boaphile's rhinoraxx? I'm wondering if people have used/ like the ball room rack and the material it's made from (supposed to be almost half the weight of other materials).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I do not personally own boaphiles or rhinoraxx, but I can probably comment on the material.

The material they advertise (controlled density polyethylene) is something of a buzzword, but I do believe it is a superior product to conventional PVC racks. First the term "controlled density" is kind of meaningless, because manufacturers have been able to control polyethylene density for years. In fact, polyethylene generally comes in two forms: high density polyethylene (HDPE) and low density polyethylene (LDPE). Low density polyethylene is the more malleable form and not typically used to structural applications. The high density polyethylene is, I am sure, what boaphile is using in their rhinoraxx. High density polyethylene is the same material used by constrictors NW and showcase cages. I personally like it for two major reasons: (1) It is typically USDA and FDA approved for food contact, meaning it is safe for people to eat off of. I should note however that this varies by formulation and many not apply to all high density polyethylene materials. (2) High density polyethylene is essentially non-porous, which means urates and fecal matter stick very poorly and make cleanup easier and staining less likely. The downside to this is that it is very difficult to seal and attach things to using adhesives.

Regarding the weight, polyethylene is similar in weight to PVC generally. However, some formulations involve the addition of nitrogen gas during the fabrication process. When the plastic is formed, nitrogen gas is blown into the mixture creating pockets within the plastic. This allows the material to be made significantly lighter, but not as strong as its heavier counterpart. One example of this is "starlight" made by king plastics. Constrictors NW utilizes this form of high density polyethylene also advertising the weight savings as a benefit. However, it should be noted that these lighter versions are also cheaper as nitrogen is less expensive than the high density polyethylene material. It still holds up fine for most cages, but in my opinion, the heavier versions are more sturdy and of higher quality.

As an aside, I have read a variety of reviews on boaphile plastics and the general synopsis appears to be this: This cages are of decent quality, but the customer service and wait times are fairly abysmal. Most customers report no reply from the maker, but after 5-6 months, their order just shows up with no notification.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Regius_049 For This Useful Post:

Ba11er (11-13-2017),Tila (11-13-2017)

Thanks

Re: Rhinoraxx?

Quote Originally Posted by Regius_049 View Post
    As an aside, I have read a variety of reviews on boaphile plastics and the general synopsis appears to be this: This cages are of decent quality, but the customer service and wait times are fairly abysmal. Most customers report no reply from the maker, but after 5-6 months, their order just shows up with no notification.

That was my experience with Boaphile as well actually. I called several times....no answer, no reply to voicemail. Then I emailed several times with no response and mind you, I was a serious customer and I had money in hand ready to roll............so I went out and bought a few Animal Plastics T8's instead as they responded to an email in a few hours.

Jeff seems like an experienced keeper and brings a LOT of heating/proper husbandry knowledge to the table when you're buying a cage/rack from him every video/article I've seen from him has been filled with quality information...... but I can't order something when I don't get an initial response.

Even though I don't own one, I HAVE seen the ballroom rack in person. I liked the design and how everything was assembled perfectly....no odd gaps or open areas. The design and fitting were better than AP racks in my opinion....At the same time I was a little unimpressed by the use of (what looked like) 1/2" material for such an expensive rack system.

Just my honest $0.02. Not intended to be a smear article in any form.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KevinK For This Useful Post:

Tila (11-13-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    i have a Boaphile Rhinoraxx shoebox hatching rack and can attest to it's quality, sturdiness and heavy duty plastics. i bought it second hand from a local BRB breeder. i also have racks from Animal Plastics and Scaley Enclosures and although their racks are good, the PVC these other racks are made of seem like the balsa wood version of plastics. also fitting of all Rhinoraxx components are tight, precise and edges are beveled/routered/sanded smooth.

too bad to hear about their customer service tho. i really want to get another rack and enclosures from them. maybe it's worth a shot anyway.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Tila (11-13-2017),zina10 (11-13-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Any thoughts about the Reptile Basics CB70 5 series? At this point they seem like a real possibility... I expanded my homebuilt rack and although it functions well, I'm embarrassed by it's wildly uneconomical occupation of space p.s., for scale, those are Hefty 52qt. containers. I think the cb 70 tubs I'm thinking about just redistribute a couple of inches compared to what I have so at least I will feel like the snakes still get the "leg room" they're used to.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Had a RhinoRaxx rack for 8 years now.

Very well made, very professional. No gaps, bowing, sharp edges, etc.
    Heat tape router-ed nicely through it, in depressions under each tub.

Never had any issues with it.

There WAS a longer wait on it then other companies offer..but honestly, that alone doesn't deter me if the quality is there.

I do demand good customer service, though.

"If" it takes longer then planned, I want to be informed. I want communication, although I understand that sometimes you don't get an immediate answer.

That said, I had no problems in that regard. I was told about how long it would take, and it did take just that long. When I first called, Jeff answered the phone himself.

I might have had a different opinion if my call was ignored or I had to wait longer then promised , without any communication.

That said, when it becomes time to breed my Desert Ghosts, I will get Hatchling Racks from Boaphile.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

10. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Tila (11-13-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    i have a Boaphile Rhinoraxx shoebox hatching rack and can attest to it's quality, sturdiness and heavy duty plastics. i bought it second hand from a local BRB breeder. i also have racks from Animal Plastics and Scaley Enclosures and although their racks are good, the PVC these other racks are made of seem like the balsa wood version of plastics. also fitting of all Rhinoraxx components are tight, precise and edges are beveled/routered/sanded smooth.

too bad to hear about their customer service tho. i really want to get another rack and enclosures from them. maybe it's worth a shot anyway.
    Thats the kind of racks I'm going to get for my future hatchlings !
    I already know those racks are super well and professionally made, from the adult racks I have.

I like that each hatchling has dark sides and backs. The entire tub becomes a dark hide/cave. They do not notice the "movement" from a tub next to them, whether its a feeder rodent running around or another hatchling moving. They have complete and utter privacy. I like that. Plus..like I said, super well made.

I will order far ahead of time, so it won't matter how long it takes. I have never heard of Boaphile "scamming" anyone, most complaints are with how long one has to wait, or that communications (regarding the wait) isn't the best..
    Zina

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Tila (11-13-2017)

Thanks
    I have done a bit of research on the popular racks and in terms of "cost per snake" the RhinoRaxx racks are higher in total cost than most if not all of the other websites. If you are looking at the "Ball Room Rack" specifically which has 4 41 qt tubs, Animal plastics, CSerpents, and Reptile Basics all have cheaper racks that hold 5 41 qt tubs stacked on on top the other. The only brand that is more expensive is TGR, which also has 5 tubs. Now the difference of course is the materials and build quality, as well as customer service and shipping time, but if you look at just total cost required, this would be a consideration.

I have those costs as well as information on most of the popular racks with total costs as well for each of the websites if anyone wants to know.
    Last edited by JBRHerps; 11-13-2017 at 10:42 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JBRHerps For This Useful Post:

Tila (11-13-2017)

Thanks
    Granted, I haven't ever had racks from AP, C-Serpents and Reptile Basics, but going by the Boaphile hatchling rack in particular, I believe there is a lot more material, cutting and fitting involved, given that each tub has its own cubby.

To me, quality comes first, customer service is right up there, too. Of course I don't want to pay double for that, but I will pay extra for it.

They all may have similar built quality, I do not know. But I do know that the Rhino Raxx rack has been great for me.

I have a TGR hatchling rack right now, and I do like it. But I want to buy Boaphile hatchling racks in a year or so..
    Zina

16. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Tila (11-13-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    Granted, I haven't ever had racks from AP, C-Serpents and Reptile Basics, but going by the Boaphile hatchling rack in particular, I believe there is a lot more material, cutting and fitting involved, given that each tub has its own cubby. To me, quality comes first, customer service is right up there, too. Of course I don't want to pay double for that, but I will pay extra for it. They all may have similar built quality, I do not know. But I do know that the Rhino Raxx rack has been great for me. I have a TGR hatchling rack right now, and I do like it. But I want to buy Boaphile hatchling racks in a year or so..
    You make a good point about the RhinoRaxx having separate cubby holes, where no other listed website has hatchling racks with these so that is something to consider.
    Last edited by JBRHerps; 11-13-2017 at 11:43 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to JBRHerps For This Useful Post:

zina10 (11-14-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast